Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think Matt Stone is dangerous page 2

wiltondeportes Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    A much better reasoning of various "stressors" that can cause insulin resistance/hyperinsulinemia... Paleo Diet, Inflammation and Metformin

Stone is a crock.
    Whatever. We're all saying the same thing in the end: Modern life is screwing our health. Do as we would have done a while ago, and we will be healthy.

Until I develop a disease, I am not going to be too worried about nutritionism. I just prefer to live my life without too much structure.

I do like learning and researching about it all, of course.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 06-21-2012 at 06:05 PM.

NoSaladWithoutMeat is online now Senior Member
    I find it funny that Matt Stoner's point is to be "unbiased about dogmatic and restrictive diets". But from sifting through the crap that is his blog (it's very difficult to do if you're a somewhat rational human being) this seems more like a cult of a bunch of strange, confused individuals that any other Vegan forum I've stalked for shits and giggles.
    Seriously scary stuff.

At first I thought it was a spoof blog. "Hey, look at my success at keeping my body warm after eating a bunch of oatmeal, potatoes topped with butter and donuts!" Hahah funny.
    Then I was concerned...

I feel like he's not telling us the whole story. Why did Paleo suddenly fail to work for this guy? I know he talks about restriction to be a cause for heightened cortisol (duh) but he himself says he didn't exercise and didn't count calories and viola!
    Where was the restriction? Oh woe that is me bountiful fresh berries, butter, cream and bacon... the deprivation! Oh the horror!

Then I started reading his blog with genuine interest, I'm always open for new revelations (I even tolerate Jack Kruze, who sometimes spouts erratic advice; his new thing is eating a pound of seafood every day. But his are actually based on his vast knowledge and practice, not from reading "50 books a year" *ooh wow*...) I was open minded but the more I read the more convinced I became that HED has fried his brain.
    And like his diet, his tasteless humour is hard to stomach (pun intended).
    I guess you have to buy his 209382309 ebooks to find out.

Paleo for Population Control! – 180 Degree Health

Diets are Like New Girlfriends – 180 Degree Health
    -- I guess free love is in accordance with this not-at-all dogmatic lifestyle ;/

Anyway, to actually find out what his premise is you'd need to buy his 23098193 books, and I'm well-stocked on toilet paper.
    There comes a time when you become so fat and sick that you're suddenly willing to listen.

Unsolicited Advice Is Welcome Here.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch666 View Post
    I thought you were talking about the guy from South Park.
    he's the only Matt Stone that I care about

I'm reading posts about it on FreeTheAnimal and Dr Eades' blog... that Bruce guy is so creepy Y_Y
    He keeps saying "join us. joooooooin usssss" *psycho shower scene music*
    There comes a time when you become so fat and sick that you're suddenly willing to listen.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSaladWithoutMeat View Post
    I find it funny that Matt Stoner's point is to be "unbiased about dogmatic and restrictive diets". But from sifting through the crap that is his blog (it's very difficult to do if you're a somewhat rational human being) this seems more like a cult of a bunch of strange, confused individuals that any other Vegan forum I've stalked for shits and giggles.
    Seriously scary stuff.
    What's it to you? His site has success stories just like this one. It's more about healing and nourishing the body than it is about losing fat, because any extreme dieting is bound to do some damage, and very few people can be trusted to not take a diet ideology to extremes.

If your notion of supreme health is bound up in the modern image of the man with the chiseled abs, then that's quite narrowminded. Modern food has its problems, but that doesn't mean that it is completely useless in all aspects. Like I said before, Stone doesn't post things with the intention of having followers who adopt his musings to the letter. He posts different viewpoints to consider and encourages people to get untangled from dogmatic diets and question everything. How is that scary? Do you feel safer if all health bloggers err on the side of CW (which seems to have shifted to the paleo side) and try to hold the hands of their readers as though they were children?

Oh woe that is me bountiful fresh berries, butter, cream and bacon...
    By the way, only one of those things is "paleo," and two even fall in the gray area of "primal."
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Now I can't help but go read the blog!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    For me it's all about common sense. If I look at when I was the healthiest in my life in terms of non-lab factors, I ate one meal a day Monday through Friday (IF), I worked, went to classes, and walked a lot because having a car in some cities is a nightmare (move slowly and often), went dancing twice a week (play), I pushed weight around in a gym (lift heavy things), and I studied about 20-25 hours/week (use your brain).

Just by listening to my body, I learned that cereal and bread first thing in the morning made me feel sluggish and hungry, so I stopped buying in to the whole breakfast thing. I also felt that the USDA pyramid closely resembled the requirements necessary to fatten livestock.

I found Primal to be logical because it resonated with what I already believed, and a blueprint was a fast and easy guide. I doubt I'd find the donut guy to be logical at all - to me and my needs. But maybe donuts are health food to some metabolisms, n=1 in my world and all.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    He has a video up saying essentially type II diabetes is caused by stress. Whatever. He then goes on to prescribe if you are type II diabetic you should eat lots of carbs and sleep. That is just downright insane for an individual who has impaired glucose control and almost certainly a pancreas with diminished beta cell capacity. Carb loading for a diabetic will elevate their sugar. Seriously that is just downright criminal to prescribe this garbage to type II diabetics. The guy is a nut case.
    I'm not surprised. I heard one episode of Sean Croxton's recent Real Food Summit on which he was a guest. I was quite surprised that Sean had asked such a twit on his show, since his guests are usually of fairly high calibre. The man is utterly clueless but vain and self-assertive with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    What's it to you? His site has success stories just like this one. It's more about healing and nourishing the body than it is about losing fat, because any extreme dieting is bound to do some damage, and very few people can be trusted to not take a diet ideology to extremes.

If your notion of supreme health is bound up in the modern image of the man with the chiseled abs, then that's quite narrowminded. Modern food has its problems, but that doesn't mean that it is completely useless in all aspects. Like I said before, Stone doesn't post things with the intention of having followers who adopt his musings to the letter. He posts different viewpoints to consider and encourages people to get untangled from dogmatic diets and question everything. How is that scary? Do you feel safer if all health bloggers err on the side of CW (which seems to have shifted to the paleo side) and try to hold the hands of their readers as though they were children?

By the way, only one of those things is "paleo," and two even fall in the gray area of "primal."
    Wow, great comprehension skills. What's narrow minded is interjecting what you think someone believes instead of actually
    understanding what they're saying.

"modern image of health of the man with chiseled abs" ---Nope. Never said that.

"It's more about healing and nourishing the body than it is about losing fat" --Completely agree with that.

I was referring to paleo and primal not being one of the diets that are considered low in carbs and restrictive...
    Cream, butter, bacon were examples of foods that I don't consider restrictive but rather sustainable for the long haul.

What I meant as scary were the numerous comments made by his, lack for a better word, minions. Comments such as this: "Join us or watch us surpass your health by an increasing margin."
    (From Dr. Eades' post on Twitter (?!))

Really? That to me just sounds like a cartoon villain with delusions of grandeur and taking over the world, and THAT'S SCARY.
    What bothered me was Stone's POV that Paleo and Primal were dogmatic, which I COMPLETELY disagree with. And though it was quite ironic because to me his little community represents more of a cult than any other "diet" forum I've seen.

I read Stone's blog thoroughly, and the reason why was because I agree with VLC not being optimal for the long run (been there), that we should put emphasis on health, and that restricting and pretty much fighting against our primal desires for tasty foods will eventually backfire. BUT what I had problem with was his tasteless conduct: spamming Paleo blogs, writing posts that are clearly more for attention than sharing his point of view, the fact he only SELLS information not actually shares it, and his mock-sympathy post about Jimmy Moore (who is such a sweet, non-confrontational, open minded guy) just pissed me off. THAT'S what I have a problem with!

I just don't get that he truly wants to help people or is open minded (in fact, if people disagree with him and offer valid arguments he just dismisses them, very rudely). If he focused less on writing who and what he doesn't like maybe he would have more time to actually talk about what he actually believes in.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSaladWithoutMeat View Post
    Wow, great comprehension skills. What's narrow minded is interjecting what you think someone believes instead of actually
    understanding what they're saying.

"modern image of health of the man with chiseled abs" ---Nope. Never said that.
    Do you know what the word "if" means?

What I meant as scary were the numerous comments made by his, lack for a better word, minions.
    There are plenty of people on here who say some pretty ludicrous things. Do you blame Mark Sisson for the things Grizz posts?

BUT what I had problem with was his tasteless conduct: spamming Paleo blogs, writing posts that are clearly more for attention than sharing his point of view, the fact he only SELLS information not actually shares it,
    So, because he's not "nice," and he is not ashamed to admit that he wants to make a few bucks off of his time and energy. Besides, everything that is in his books is available somewhere in his blog for free. Also, how does he spam Paleo blogs? I've never seen it.

and his mock-sympathy post about Jimmy Moore (who is such a sweet, non-confrontational, open minded guy)
    Yes, I think the world of Jimmy Moore and his intentions and his attitude. But if you can call Stone's community cultish, surely the low-carb community brought up by Moore is triply so.

If he focused less on writing who and what he doesn't like maybe he would have more time to actually talk about what he actually believes in.
    He believes in Fuckitol. The sense that I get from reading his blog is that he is still figuring all of this stuff out, is constantly toying with new ideas and research, and reevaluating his ideas. See Ray Peat and RBTI for example. He doesn't have a nice, marketable package of an idea like Sisson has with Grok. He fully acknowledges that different things work for different people and doesn't try to pin down an ideal diet.

But if you are sad that Stone is a bit of a meaniehead sometimes, I guess I'll give you that.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast