Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My upper spine/neck is really bent/curved, doctor not helpful, advice pleas page

Matil is offline Junior Member

My upper spine/neck is really bent/curved, doctor not helpful, advice pleas

Primal Fuel
    My neck head and upper spine is really curved forward, I asked my doctor about it but he didn't take it seriously and said there was nothing wrong. He said the same thing about my curved back and didn't want to refer me to an orthopedist or anything.

It is VERY obvious though that it is quite bent, he did admit that it was quite "defined" or something to that extent.

I am just coming out of a terrible lifestyle of depression and as you can probably imagine, terrible posture, horrendous amounts of time sitting at a computer, and 2 years of sitting on a 2 seater couch with my head bent inward so that I could lay down on it. So its no wonder spine and neck is screwed up, but my doctor has left me with no direction to take.

So where do I go from here? Who do I see to get myself checked out and find out the whole story? Who or what do I see to get it corrected?

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I was just reading in the book, The 4 Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss some really interesting stuff on reversing injuries and body issues. See if you can get it from the library, buy a copy, or flip through it at a bookstore, I bet there is something in there that could help. I'm thinking about trying to find someone who does Active Release Technique, something Ferriss experimented with.

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    Gentle yoga to explore and slowly improve your flexibility and strength. You could also see a physiotherapist who would tell you if you have any limitations to your spine. I wouldn't go to a chiropractor off the bat, because in all my experience and anecdotal knowledge, they always recommend adjustments. See what you can do with stretching and strengthening first. Yoga may also help with the meditative aspects in your recovery from depression.

Mommymd

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Go to a chiropractor. If they have background with PT, even better, as they can and will suggest exercises to you to help support the adjustments they make. If the first one just wants to crack you and not explain anything, find another. My chiro is basically my BFFL (he doesn't know it yet).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Go to a chiropractor. If they have background with PT, even better, as they can and will suggest exercises to you to help support the adjustments they make. If the first one just wants to crack you and not explain anything, find another. My chiro is basically my BFFL (he doesn't know it yet).
    I second this! My GF has a great one. She has neck problems similar to the OP. This guy knows what to do. Other than that I'd say fire the worthless doctor and find one that knows what the hell they are doing.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mommymd View Post
    I wouldn't go to a chiropractor off the bat, because in all my experience and anecdotal knowledge, they always recommend adjustments.

Mommymd
    Umm, yes that is what they do! They adjust your spine so the nerves that control your whole body can flow freely down your spinal column as they are meant to. They will also give you exercises to do to start to straighten your upper body again.

nevermore is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Yes, this. Find a good chiro.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    My chiropractor is awesome! Yes, he does adjustments but he also assigns home exercises (specific posture work and stretches, for my case) and lots of other adjuncts. He is not a come-back-weekly type, by any means. In fact, this one will not take you on as a patient if all you are interested in is a quick cracking!!! My inx are to do my homework and come to him when I think I need him again (as witnessed by headaches). The more I follow his inx, the further apart the appointments are getting. In the beginning, I went twice a month, which inside of 6 weeks became monthly, which I did for a few months, and now we are somewhere between 4 and 6 months between visits.

PT (physical therapist) is a good idea. My disabled daughter has needed one since she was 3. They can do an evaluation and tell you TONS about what your muscles / tendons / ligaments are up to and exactly what needs to be done to correct things in their purview.

Disabled daughter also goes to a pediatric orthopedist (she wears ankle braces). This guy is the bone guy, along with being a muscle / tendon / ligament guy. I know they also come in adult flavors. Getting spinal bones checked is good.

Ask all three for ergonomic seating solutions for your lifestyle. Tell them ALL of your seating needs. Couch, kitchen bench, work station, car commute, everything. THIS IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO DAILY TO CORRECT BAD POSTURE - GET YOUR SEATING SORTED OUT.

And - congratulations for climbing out of depression! I have done it myself, and when you finally get a more clear-eyed sight of what has happened to your body in the meantime, it mostly ain't pretty. I know. But you will get there! Good Luck!!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Chiropractors always think you need their services long-term. I'm highly skeptical after my one really negative chiro experience.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

missjess is offline Junior Member
    How "defined" is it? Like, scoliosis type curved? Because you might need more than a chiropractor it your spine has a serious bend in it. I would see a chiropractor, and get a scan. An osteopath may also be able to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast