Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My upper spine/neck is really bent/curved, doctor not helpful, advice pleas page 2

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Chiropractors always think you need their services long-term. I'm highly skeptical after my one really negative chiro experience.
    I agree. I've been to 4-none helped me feel better, one I'd actually leave his office in more pain than when I'd go in. My husband has been going to the same chiro for 10 years and is still in a lot of shoulder and back pain.

On the other hand, I've had friends who went to a chiro and they helped them. So...*shrug* If you go to a chiro find a GOOD ONE and if they say you have to come back 3 times a week for an indefinite amount of time (like the quack my husband goes to) run the other way.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    OP; Google "YTWL exercise". Watch the youtube vids on it.

Doing that two or three times a week may help to restore the normal position. Depending on the extent of the curvature it may not be possible to achieve perfect posture now, but the YTWL's wil certainly take you in the right direction.

Good luck!

patski is offline Senior Member
    Physiotherapist. A good one.

Adjusting your vertebrae isn't going to do crap if your muscles are pulling them forward.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    You need Miracle Balls They've made a world of difference with my wonky back~ all the way from my spastic neck to my sciatica.

Wafaa is offline Member
    I had that computer hunch for a while. I highly recommend ditching the pillow and sleeping flat on your back. First time I tried it I felt oddly like my neck was getting bent backwards out of shape and could barely sleep a wink. Now my upper back and neck are straighter and I no longer get that funny feeling.
    Getting a pull up bar and using it, do assisted pull ups if you can't manage a pull up. Do exercises that strengthen your core muscles and shoulder and back muscles. Push ups, supermans, etc.

Depending on how severe you may want to see a chiro or an orthopedist.
    My art blog.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matil View Post
    My neck head and upper spine is really curved forward, I asked my doctor about it but he didn't take it seriously and said there was nothing wrong. He said the same thing about my curved back and didn't want to refer me to an orthopedist or anything.
    Alexander Technique. There's nothing that comes close for that kind of thing.

Are you US-based? If so you can find a teacher here:

Find a Teacher | American Society for the Alexander Technique (AmSAT)

Matil is offline Junior Member
    Thankyou all for the input. I guess my next step is going to be finding a good physiotherapist to get checked out. What I need is someone who will be able to teach me proper posture/stretches and make sure Im doing it correctly. Any suggestions on what to watch out for and what to look for in a good physiotherapist?

patski is offline Senior Member
    Be really firm if what they're teaching you (ie. stretches) to do is NOT WORKING.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missjess View Post
    How "defined" is it? Like, scoliosis type curved? Because you might need more than a chiropractor it your spine has a serious bend in it. I would see a chiropractor, and get a scan. An osteopath may also be able to help.
    Scoliosis is a lateral curve, side to side. Kyphosis is when it's arched forward. And it's most common cause is posture, a PT or Chrio is a good start. Matil fix your posture and muscles first! Maybe consider a standing desk? Just a thought.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try Physical Therapy
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12