Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to look like a figure competitor... page

fatisyummy is offline Member

I want to look like a figure competitor...

Shop Now
    Ok, figure competitors probably aren't the healthiest people on the planet, and the goal of looking like one is probably unrealistic for me, but I thought I would reach out and see if there were any folks having that kind of success with primal eating. I am very careful with WHAT I eat, and I track, but I often just wind up blowing it by eating too much.

I have started working with a trainer who insists I need to up my carbs and eat things like oatmeal and "whole grains." I do love oatmeal. I had some. I didn't die. But I can't shake the feeling that I'm eating this stuff that probably isn't good for me. I'm going to focus more on things like sweet potatoes and rice for carbs. She also insists on cutting down fat; no butter, lean meats. I'm torn. I know that if I subsist on lean proteins, I get MAJOR headaches. And major crankypants. She also wants me to eat lots of times per day, which as much as I think IF has done wonders for people, I can't seem to make it work for me. Crankypants again. So I like eating more times per day, pain in the neck that it might be.

I'm tired of looking at every piece of food I eat and wondering if it's ruining my diet. I had a major hankering for carrots last night. So I got some. And ate 3. And it stressed me out. Who stresses out over eating carrots?! This girl, apparently.

I am fit and relatively lean, but I have been packing on weight over the last several months after quitting stimulants and wanting to be drug free. I know there are some other things going on besides the fact that I can't pry myself off the couch most nights and eat too much, but I would really love help and suggestions. I just want to get my diet dialed in for energy and leanness! And I want my clothes to stop getting tighter. Speaking of clothes, the crankypants need to go. I am pretty clean with my diet; I don't eat sweets, I don't eat processed foods, I mostly stick to meat + veggies + fat (except now I'm thinking of adding more carbs).

Thanks, guys and gals.

Here's what I'm trying out for eating:
    B: 1/2c. oatmeal (ok I'll swap that for something better like rice or sweet potato? this is a new thing for me, I used to have eggs or bulletproof coffee every morning)
    S: Almonds (portion controlled packs from Trader Joe's) or hard boiled eggs
    L: Leftovers, usually ~6oz meat + veggies or salad + rice or sweet potato
    D: Same as lunch

Those 6oz portions could easily be 12, though if I'm not careful.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Any reason your breakfast is solely carbs? This is sure to spike your blood sugar, cause increased hunger, and likely cause weight gain.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Eat lean meats with carbs (~ 1 g per lb of body weight carbs and <20% fat) on the days you lift heavy. Eat 30-50% from fat and under 30 g carbs on the day you recover or do cardio. Go about 10-25% below maintenance. Forget eating schedules. See if it works. That's the most comfortable diet I was on so far. I also noticed that while I experience no negatives from non-gluten grains, they make me hungrier, while boiled white potato is the most satiating starch.

Good luck!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Follow the blueprint (read the book if you haven't) and it will surprise you.

Dump the grains! Eat lots of protein and don't worry about the fat content.

Eat until you are full but not stuffed and eat when you are hungry.

Your body composition will respond to the workouts. You should notice changes within a month.

Most trainers are still stuck in the old ways. See if you can change their view. :-)

Bob

fatisyummy is offline Member
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my first post. I have been very strict primal (paleo except for butter and cream) over the course of the last year and a half. This was the first time I had oats in that long. It hasn't been working. I am cranky, putting on weight, and have no energy.

I'll keep the oats out. Maybe just up carbs and lower fat some. I have been following a diet of about 60-70% fat for some time. I just can't shake the body fat, fatigue, and irritability. I felt so good at first, but it just didn't last; maybe I am leptin sensitive, but my levels are low? It makes no sense to need carbs! We evolved primarily as hunters, didn't we?
    Last edited by fatisyummy; 06-21-2012 at 03:20 PM.

In my experience it does not do any good to worry about why's. The thing that worked the best for me to lean out was carb cycling with only 1 day of a carb-up, and the rest of the days low carb-low cal. The problem is I could not hold the weight loss, and life became a misery. There are a lot of mechanisms in a woman's body that are prohibitive to fat loss and muscle gain. I find it frustrating. I experience stretches of weight gain when doing absolutely everything right. I do not lose weight unless I have enough will-power and resolve to experience hours of hunger a day. Fruits and nuts are a no-no. Dairy is actually helpful, because it is lean protein if you pick the right kind.

I am not sure how female body competitors get their fat down, but I am thinking that they have to do a full-time commitment to controlled starvation, sauna, salt load and deloads, and low fat. No matter what, for most women in the end it seems to come to low f'ing fat. Rabbit starvation, our ticket to the tight abs.

The only glimpse of a routine for a hard cut i have seen was in Jillian Michael's book, Making the cut, which basically put a woman on 7 days of egg whites limited steamed lean proteins with steamed veggies and dandelion tea for fluid loss. And, she said: no more than 7 days of that.

I wish, honest to god, there was a completely candid book from one of the female body builders about what exactly they do. I hear bits and pieces, but never the whole thing!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatisyummy View Post
    We evolved primarily as hunters, didn't we?
    Well, the called the natives in my region of the world "diggers", so it's likely we evolved to dig for roots, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Particularly the females, who did the most of the gathering, roots, berries, mushrooms, bark, leaves, etc.

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am not sure how female body competitors get their fat down, but I am thinking that they have to do a full-time commitment to controlled starvation, sauna, salt load and deloads, and low fat. No matter what, for most women in the end it seems to come to low f'ing fat. Rabbit starvation, our ticket to the tight abs
    First off, I'm not a woman. So I don't know all the ins and outs of the lady business, but I have trained plenty and got them ready for shows.

Normally the diet leading up to the show consists of a steady increase in caloric deficit, never too terribly drastic at one time, with an overload of empty calories for flush the day or so before a show.

In my experience I ate pickles every day, lots of them. Like jars and jars and jars and jars of pickles every day. About a week out from the show I cut pickles from my intake and I dry up like used latex in the sahara.
    I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Wait, don't go away! Could you explain that whole salt load/flush thing? I saw it mentioned and I am not sure how it works? Like you eat all your veggies pickled and then no salt at all for a week? Does it work for long-term fat loss, or just to dewater before an event?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast