Thread: Pork and Bacon questions. page

Pork and Bacon questions.

Shop Now
    So with pork rinds. I usually buy a brand called Jays and I have contacted the company to make sure that the rinds are fried in the fat of the skin and not in oils. the ingredients are just fried out pork skins and salt. Pushing aside the fact that it is probably from less than ideal fed pigs and such. These are not such a bad thing to consume once or twice a week?

And with store bought bacon. Are nitrates that much of problem? if the the bacon is pork With Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite how much of a problem is this really?

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i can't eat pork rinds because of the smell when you open the bag and the sodium makes me blow up like a balloon. i've been snacking on roasted seaweed that i get at the asian market.

nitrates are a possible carcinogen, however they have been used in the curing process for many decades. nitrate-free bacon often contains celery salt... which is a nitrate. i don't worry about it, honestly, but i do buy sugar-free bacon. the regular stuff tastes like candy now to me, lol. anyway, i only eat a small portion once per week or so.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i can't eat pork rinds because of the smell when you open the bag and the sodium makes me blow up like a balloon. i've been snacking on roasted seaweed that i get at the asian market.

nitrates are a possible carcinogen, however they have been used in the curing process for many decades. nitrate-free bacon often contains celery salt... which is a nitrate. i don't worry about it, honestly, but i do buy sugar-free bacon. the regular stuff tastes like candy now to me, lol. anyway, i only eat a small portion once per week or so.
    The amount of nitrate in bacon is so insignificant. I remember in one of Robb Wolf's podcasts he said there were more nitrates in a spinach salad than 350 hot dogs....or something like that.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    yeah, it's totally not something i worry about. it's just the sodium that makes me limit it.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The only real issue with pork rinds (assuming you check the ingredient list like you did) is going to be the quality of the pork. Odds are it's not that great. On the other hand, it's not like there are absolutes when it comes to food, with black and white, no shades of grey. So if eating pork rinds is a better choice and keeps you from eating something else that's not so great, then go for it. Just avoid the flavored ones because the list of ingredients goes from a couple of nice ones to a dozen or more pretty scary ones really fast.

As far as bacon and hot dogs, once again, it's up to you. Yes, there are nitrates and nitrites. They seem to be a problem for some people and not so much for others. I seem to remember a news story about a guy, maybe a decade ago, who was close to 100 years old. His diet consisted of almost nothing but hot dogs and hard boiled eggs. I think the nitrites and nitrates are a very individual thing. They slam me pretty hard, so I can't eat them, but most people don't have a problem with them. I've never seen a study showing they'll do any more damage than the vast majority of foods.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    You also might want to check out this thread on pork rinds. We've been having some good discussion.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Yes. If you're looking for a snacky kind of pork, definitely check out the pork rinds thread. If you get the unflavored, there's usually nothing in them but pork and salt.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com