Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone supplement maca root? page

Jer37208 is offline Member

anyone supplement maca root?

Shop Now
    I'm thinking about trying it out..maybe mixing some in with my daily Primal Fuel shake, was wondering if anyone on the board has had any personal experiences with it.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I have some, but it is in a form that you brew and use it like coffee. Tastes different of course, but still has a nutty rich flavour. I don't really drink it enough to say it does anything to my health or not. Sorry can't help more than that.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Lyte is offline Senior Member
    I have a decent amount of experience with it!

I've only ever taken it powdered. I mixed it in with a little Raw Apple Cider Vinegar and ground turmeric as my substitute for coffee in the morning/during the workday. Let me tell you, stuff works. It doesn't give the "rush" that caffeine does but it definitely works to keep you awake, moving and full of energy, and it just feels really good in your body.
    For instance-- just two weeks ago was Inventory at my grocery store (for those of you who haven't worked in retail, that's where you stay at the store overnight and count everything.... everything....) and I worked from 11am Monday morning to 3:45am Tuesday morning... just on maca. No tea, no coffee, nothing else.

Sh*t works.

Beware of taking too much at once; it has pretty standard stimulant side effects if you do. 2000 mg should do you rightly in most situations (the entire day of the aforementioned Inventory, I consumed about 4,000 mg total, spread out throughout the day. No one should ever need more than that, lol).

Keep in mind, it does make you more fertile, so if you're sexually active... double up on them condoms, lol!

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer37208 View Post
    I'm thinking about trying it out..maybe mixing some in with my daily Primal Fuel shake, was wondering if anyone on the board has had any personal experiences with it.
    It depends on why you are taking it. Maca is an adaptogen so from what I understand (and how i've used it) its main purpose is to regulate hormones. I say it works. I got my wife to use it as well and her body shape changed. Her boobs got bigger and her hips became more curvy. Its pretty cool stuff I say.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Timely topic...the mum-in-law gave me a bag of raw maca powder for Christmas and I was doing some reading on it today, but I'm still not sure. I have been working with my ND to sort out hormone imbalance issues and adrenal fatigue and, of course, I've read conflicting info that maca can be great for helping adrenal issues or can also exacerbate the problem. My health has been improving the last several months with a regimen of supplements from the ND, and I have no idea if maca could interfere with what I'm currently taking...I suppose I could always shoot her an email.

I was most curious to know if maca is a source of resistant starch since it's a tuber but I haven't found anything saying it is.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Just ordered a bottle. Keep in mind......... I'm 53, female and post-menopausal. I don't know that it will help me at all - but I watched a video by an ND (sorry I don't recall her name) that recommends it to all her patients who are having issues with fatigue. I'm hoping it makes a difference. Along with the MACA I'm also starting Iodine - I have hypothyroid, and I believe my Armour is not up to the correct levels. My doc only goes by blood test results for prescribing dosage of Armour Thyroid. I believe clinical symptoms must also be addressed. I'm hoping the addition of MACA and Iodine will increase my energy - help me take off some weight - and, with any luck, increase my non-existent libido. Damn menopause!!!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
    I have a decent amount of experience with it!

I've only ever taken it powdered. I mixed it in with a little Raw Apple Cider Vinegar and ground turmeric as my substitute for coffee in the morning/during the workday. Let me tell you, stuff works. It doesn't give the "rush" that caffeine does but it definitely works to keep you awake, moving and full of energy, and it just feels really good in your body.
    For instance-- just two weeks ago was Inventory at my grocery store (for those of you who haven't worked in retail, that's where you stay at the store overnight and count everything.... everything....) and I worked from 11am Monday morning to 3:45am Tuesday morning... just on maca. No tea, no coffee, nothing else.

Sh*t works.

Beware of taking too much at once; it has pretty standard stimulant side effects if you do. 2000 mg should do you rightly in most situations (the entire day of the aforementioned Inventory, I consumed about 4,000 mg total, spread out throughout the day. No one should ever need more than that, lol).

Keep in mind, it does make you more fertile, so if you're sexually active... double up on them condoms, lol!
    What kind of maca do you use?

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    My doctor recommended maca to help regulate my hormones. I bought some capsules from his office but I'm out now, I thought I'd look online for a better price anyone have recommendations?
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

FitDonna is offline Junior Member
    I started using Maca powder in my daily smoothies about 2 weeks ago, also on the recommendation of my doctor. I am 49 and pre-menopausaL (all parts still intact, yay!). My 'female' symptoms are REALLY mild so far, but I wanted to try it to regulate my hormones as I transition to the 'next phase' of life, lol. So for me, more of a preventative measure. I think all of the things I do, diet, exercise, supplements...keep my hormones at a pretty even keel. I didn't have an issue with sex drive before, but I feel a little more 'revved up' in that department. Tmi? sorry!

FitDonna is offline Junior Member
    I use the powder form, by Navitas Naturals. It's not cheap for a 1 lb. bag it was $20, but should last about 2 months. I use about 2 tsp a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast