Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: One Night At McCool's page 5

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If I'm ever in Dublin...
    I'm SO going to go around to every gym I can find and stick my foot inside the door then run off.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    Dude, totes didn't expect that amount of replies. I'll get to 'em in a minute, but first...

I f'ing hate the number 12.

For serious.

Like, I hate hate it. I want to find out whoever invented the number 12, go back in time, and light their parents on fire.

Fucking 12.

12's a twat. 12 is the dude that shows up at your party 2 hours early without booze and wants to play Risk. 12 is the mom that lets her eight year old daughter wear Juicy shorts in public. 12 is the Love Happy of the Marx Bros movies.

Fuck 12.

See a few months ago I was happy, perfectly freaking content, sitting at around 265 and doing really heavy sets of 5 - 8 reps. Sometimes when I felt frisky I’d do an even heavier set of 1 – 3. Life was good. But then, dude, it was like, “Hey, Nic. I thought you wanted to look all pretty with abs and obliques and shit. You know you can’t keep up this strongman workout. You gotta switch things up, dudestack.” And that voice in my head (which surprisingly sounds a lot like Andrew Lincoln) was right. So my workout changed. The exercises stayed the same but the weights and reps changed. Now instead of pulling 8 sumo deads followed by 6 SLD’s, I’m pulling 12 and 12. Bench press? What used to be 9x5’s is now 6x12’s. Heavy snatches? 12.

It’s gotten so bad I now chew my food 12 times before swallowing.

So what’s the big deal? It’s just a number, why does it matter?

Look at it this way (using squats as an example). 1-5 reps I hold my breath. My heart rate may spike for a second, but remains relatively level. 6-10 reps takes 2 maybe 3 breaths. Each time also involves a slight readjustment. My heart rate spikes, but due to the short duration my breathing is not affected. 11+ reps, my breathing becomes erratic towards the end, my heart rate is through the roof, I’ve readjusted 5 or100 times stretching out my time under the bar to about 7 hours. I get angry, sweaty, and more than likely I’m going to puke.

And then afterwards it’s no fancy fairytale picnic either:
    1-5: No recovery time needed.
    6-10: About 90-120 seconds rest needed.
    11+: There is no recovery, we’re all going to die, oh my god I have 5 more sets of this?!

Since I’m ultra-competitive and hate going down in weight I usually keep about 75%-85% 1RM on the bar for my sets of 12. This means that it doesn’t matter if I’m squatting, curling, or doing Bulgarian deads, I still feel like I’m going to die.

So there you have it. Fuck 12.

I hate that number.
    I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Quote Originally Posted by Jaradel View Post
    Tell her she can have dark chocolate occasionally too. That'll seal the deal. Red wine and dark chocolate are a truly decadent pairing.
    I actually told her this last night. Her eyes lit up like the first time she saw me shirtless after a meet. Granted , I'm not sure if it was due to fear or her lady bits tingling, but both are close enough to the hippocampus it works out in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    It helps that he's a reader and will look at research. I didn't send him to MDA--I sent him relevant, interesting posts from MDA and other paleo/primal blogs that were specific to his interests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    I am the type of person who, if I feel I am being pressured unduly, will absolutely careen off into the opposite direction. Kind of a F.U. attitude of mine, I guess.

In some methods of homeschooling (which I do), there is a concept of "strewing". That means that you leave crumbs and nuggets of information lying about and just let them do their work in their own good time.
    This may actually work. She's already told me she's sick of hearing about my "diet", so talking more about it is probably not the most intelligent next-step. I'll see what I can dig up and start "accidentally" leaving articles around. Maybe she'll get the hint, or maybe she'll kill me in my sleep. More to come.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    You are being followed, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    Absolutely this. I feel like a stalker.
    Stalkers! All of you!

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    If I'm ever in Dublin...
    I'm SO going to go around to every gym I can find and stick my foot inside the door then run off.
    Dude, you better be fast 'cause if I catch you ... let's just say I hope you can hop on one leg for the rest of your life.

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member
    Love, love, love this journal!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicMcCool View Post
    Stalkers! All of you!

Dude, you better be fast 'cause if I catch you ... let's just say I hope you can hop on one leg for the rest of your life.
    I'm a disabled chick... don't hit too hard.
    And if you are going to take one, might I suggest the RIGHT leg... it's the more useless of the two.

And now I'm also going to yell 12!

Maybe I should have a cab/taxi on standby.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    And now I'm also going to yell 12!

Maybe I should have a cab/taxi on standby.
    I volunteer to drive! After all those pub nights I had at the Irish Pub in Frankfurt, I think it is about time I see the real McCoy, and you would be superb company!

Just as a thought, Cori - how fast do you think a dude that big would actually be able to run??

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    I am entertained! I am, however only clever and witty on occasion, so I'll just be lurking.
    Lurk, lurk, lurk.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    ah! the whole dare and run game!

i'm helpless in the face of it

i'd join in and giggle like a fiend

the square root of 144 is?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Kelmar is offline Senior Member
    Lurking with Kakes in the back....
    I treat my body like a temple.....to nourish the Goddess who lives inside

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast