Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: One Night At McCool's page 4

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicMcCool View Post
    Dude, I have no clue what a forum crush is, but I'm scared nonetheless.
    To have a crush on someone - American slang expression. Means you have the hots for someone / like them. As in "I so have a crush on that new guy on Mark's Daily Apple." Or, "I am so crushing on Nic." TinaC started a crush thread on the Odds and Ends section of the Forum in honor of Valentine's Day and it has endured til now. And somebody said they liked you. It is a lot like passing notes at school about who likes whom. From what I gather some of the ghosts on this forum have known each other since before Hogwarts was built and look forward to posts.

Work bench - cool. Mr. Crabbcakes and I did that once to an antique bed. Workbench sounds like fun, but Mr. Crabbcakes is a proper kind of gentleman, you know?? Too bad...

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    So, do you compete in any of the grip contests across the pond?

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    So, do you compete in any of the grip contests across the pond?
    I've competed in some, yes. Never really my favorite, nor did I ever specifically train for 'em, but my dude Bull is all about squeezing things.
    I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

New EFS Power Rack showed up at the gym over the weekend. It was like Christmas morning if Santa was a sweaty delivery man who wasn't keen on moving in all the boxes of heavy metal. Little fat dude had the gall to try DRAGGING the box across the gym floor. "It's too heavy to carry and too long to put on a lift," he said. "That's what he said," Mrs. McCool yelled from the office.
    D and I ended up hoisting two on our shoulders and carrying them into the loading bay. I slipped the delivery man a business card, some bison jerky, and told him if he wanted to "man up" I'd give him a 5% friends and family and delivery drivers discount.

Cage took 4 HOURS to assemble. Schematics looked like the bastard child of Where's Waldo and MC Escher. Between that and the two drug heads who kept coming into the gym and asking to use our toilets my training was pretty sporadic.

Workout
    AM
    Threaten druggies' lives if they step foot in my gym again. Spent the next 2 hours sprinting over every time they literally put one foot into my gym then retreated it quickly. My 8 month old is less childish than these twats.

PM
    Farmers carry
    Once the Cage was built we tried it out with heavy squats and heavy deads ... and pretty much anything else we could do heavy.
    Set up a band system on the prowler. Works really well in inducing vomit.

Mrs. McCool wants to be primal.

I figured this would excite me, dude, but it doesn't. I know how to make women strong, but when it comes to food and emotions and shit I'm about as useless as nipples on a nun. I once suggested that my wife not eat wheat bagels in the morning and two years later I'm still scared to go into the kitchen when she's in there.

I suggested she read MDA, but she actually "runs our business", so she "doesn't have time for immaginary friends on the internet".

We went grocery shopping together and picked out her food for the week. Her main observations were:
    A) Meat and vegetables cost WAY more than bread and wine.
    B) Wait, I can I have wine?
    c) Maybe I CAN do this whole primal thing.

More to come. I'm sure I'll have questions in the future, but if anyone is reading this and has any advice for converting a spouse I'm all ears.... well not literally all ears 'cause that would be fucking gross, dude.

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Tell her she can have dark chocolate occasionally too. That'll seal the deal. Red wine and dark chocolate are a truly decadent pairing.

As far as advice.... still working on that one myself. My husband is sorta-on-board but he still has lapses (tortilla chips with salsa, bun for his hamburger). I will say that it's harder when the person you're trying to help become Primal has no interest in actually READING the information themselves and just rely on you to tell them what's good and bad. They're not invested. But it's still possible for them to benefit from Primal even if they aren't 100% on board - just cutting out anything processed goes a long way.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

patski is offline Senior Member
    You are being followed, dude.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm a woman with a male partner, so what worked in my house might not work in yours since it helps that I do most of the cooking. It also helps that it's not hard to convince most men where I live that they should eat more steak. But maybe some of my experience will help.

First of all, it helps that primal food tastes pretty awesome. There's a reason that professional chefs put a shit-ton of butter in things--fat tastes really, really good. When you think about it, most of the reason people like bread and pasta is the stuff you put on it. Eating primally means you actually get to eat more of the good stuff you put on those things and stop wasting so much space on the filler.

Talking about the idea of 80/20 helped. I don't think it would have worked if I said "you can NEVER have beer with your poker buddies" or "your mother might make the best apple pie on earth, but you can't eat it". The idea that there was some room for his favourites sometimes was a selling point over other diets.

It helps that he's a reader and will look at research. I didn't send him to MDA--I sent him relevant, interesting posts from MDA and other paleo/primal blogs that were specific to his interests. So not so much on fat loss, more on primal for fitness/health, especially for athletes (the man's spent most of his time as a mover with a weightlifting habit on the side, 6'3" and 240 lbs of mostly lean mass, and he got it in his head to run a marathon...yeah). I also brought some of the books along with us on vacation where he could read the stuff while we were on the plane or on the beach in Mexico. He really likes Robb Wolf's approach and style, so he connected well with the book and then went on and listened to some of the podcasts while he was doing his leatherworking stuff.

And I convinced him to give it a go for a while, despite his skepticism, because I said if it didn't work, it was cool for him to switch back after a few weeks. He was approaching 40 and starting to feel a little creaky--too much rugby and too many bar fights, nevermind his time in the military, he figured--and he was shocked at how amazing he felt with dropping the grains. Less aches, better sleep, and his middle-aged softness around the waist vanished (not that he had much, but the squish bothered him).

And really, when your woman is cooking you things like bison steaks with chanterelles and a red wine and blueberry reduction, along with a glass of wine, it's kind of hard for a dude to say no to that kind of "diet".

Anyhow, not all of that is going to work for you, obviously. But if you tell her that red wine and chocolate are still on the table and find ways for her to get information that is specifically relevant to her situation in an easy form that she likes (podcasts, articles, books, whatever), then I think you can probably convince her to give it a go.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    With patience.

I am the type of person who, if I feel I am being pressured unduly, will absolutely careen off into the opposite direction. Kind of a F.U. attitude of mine, I guess.

In some methods of homeschooling (which I do), there is a concept of "strewing". That means that you leave crumbs and nuggets of information lying about and just let them do their work in their own good time. If she doesn't want to read the MDA, you can't really make her - as you already know. Leave the PB on your bedside table, put Mark's cookbooks (and some Paleo others, too, so Mark Sisson doesn't get on her nerves due to overexposure) on the kitchen cookbook pile, download podcasts, maybe print a single page from the MDA on something YOU found relevant. Just watch it - I dunno how Mrs. McCool will take it if you print something like "THE PB IS MAKING MY TITS GROW HUUUUGE" and leave that in the middle of the bed...

Owly is spot-on - my husband is losing inches around a prodigious belly by me doing the convincing just as she says. But then again - like Owly, I am the cook here and my husband is a willing reader.

I am sure, having married the lady, you know a bit about her character. Is she particularly frugal? That would mean you need to speak to her in money-talk about the PB. Is she a kick-ass cook in her off time (yeah, I know about the baby and job, but still)? Then the language would be different. You get the idea - match your talk (and your print-outs) about Primal to her interests.

The Primal is a BIG conversion... takes time. I know I would hate it instantly if my husband came home tomorrow and announced that Primal sucked eggs and now I had to be a RAW FRUITARIAN (for example)!

Keep us informed here. We'll do our best by you...

nevermore is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    You are being followed, dude.
    Absolutely this. I feel like a stalker.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast