Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Is a pwo meal really necessary? page

  1. #1
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932

    Is a pwo meal really necessary?

    Shop Now
    I understand that the theory of post workout carbs is that your muscles are depleted of glycogen (or glucose? I don't yet understand the difference) and when you don't take in carbs after working out your muscles will be eaten to be turned into glycogen. But don't the muscles use the glycogen stored in the liver?

    I would say it doesn't matter when you take in carbs as long as you eat enough overall, correct?
    And why does protein timing matter?
    Billie trips balls

  2. #2
    Gilleh's Avatar
    Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    445
    You're a bit confused, youngling..
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

  3. #3
    jakey's Avatar
    jakey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,294
    wow, confusion abounds on this one...

    after weight training or anaerobic exercise, both muscle and liver glycogen will be depleted. your muscles will fuel their anaerobic activity with locally stored glycogen, as liver glycogen is primarily for the brain and to stabilize blood sugar, but it's not exclusive. both will be used. as will fat, for the aerobic component.

    the muscle doesn't hold glucose. in fact, your body either burns glucose, or quickly stores it as glycogen. you eat glucose, but it should not hang around in your blood stream for too long, or problems will abound.

    another great reason to take in carbs post-workout (at some point, along with protein - it doesn't have to be as immediate as some people say), is that they bring water into the muscle and volumize the tissue. the volumized tissue can absorb protein and other nutrients much better.

    in short, eat food at some point after you workout.

  4. #4
    IcarianVX's Avatar
    IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    You're a bit confused, youngling..
    That's an understatement.

    In very simple terms:
    Glycogen is mostly stored in the muscles and liver. Glucose is sugar that is ingested via carbohydrate and proteins (or created from the breakdown of glycogen). Glucose is converted to glycogen in the liver using insulin. Glycogen is broken down into glucose, in the liver, using glucagon as the catalyst.

    Sometimes the timing thing can be overdone. However, there is a window of opportunity that is better (for lack of a better term) than others for protein synthesis, glucose uptake, efficient glycogen storage, etc. 20 minutes before training and 90 minutes PWO are the optimal window for all of those. Your body will not grow, efficiently, if you do not give it the fuel it needs to rebuild itself.

    Gadsie, I am saying this as someone who has seen others like you, over the past 20 years, sabotage themselves because they over-think shit and try way too fucking hard to do everything at once. You don't have to take my advice, you can ignore it and do it your way and you may or may not succeed. However, having worked with power lifters, olympic lifters and bodybuilders for a long time, I highly doubt you are going to get where you want to be by changing gears every 5 days.

    Eat, lift, sleep, repeat. That's it. You might lose your abs, you might not. But, you have to decide if you want to keep the emaciated look while never building quality muscle mass, or you want to build the mass and then strip down the fat. Your body naturally wants to be lean and have enough muscle mass to survive. To change that (the muscle mass part) you have to trick your body into adapting. AND, it takes a long time. Much longer than your other posts have eluded to how long you think it should take.

    I am not talking about the typical bulk-cut-bulk cycle that a lot of bodybuilders go through. Dude, you gotta eat. I know you are, but give it some time. At least a year. Come back in June of 2013 and report back.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

  5. #5
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    3,857
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    That's an understatement.

    In very simple terms:
    Glycogen is mostly stored in the muscles and liver. Glucose is sugar that is ingested via carbohydrate and proteins (or created from the breakdown of glycogen). Glucose is converted to glycogen in the liver using insulin. Glycogen is broken down into glucose, in the liver, using glucagon as the catalyst.

    Sometimes the timing thing can be overdone. However, there is a window of opportunity that is better (for lack of a better term) than others for protein synthesis, glucose uptake, efficient glycogen storage, etc. 20 minutes before training and 90 minutes PWO are the optimal window for all of those. Your body will not grow, efficiently, if you do not give it the fuel it needs to rebuild itself.

    Gadsie, I am saying this as someone who has seen others like you, over the past 20 years, sabotage themselves because they over-think shit and try way too fucking hard to do everything at once. You don't have to take my advice, you can ignore it and do it your way and you may or may not succeed. However, having worked with power lifters, olympic lifters and bodybuilders for a long time, I highly doubt you are going to get where you want to be by changing gears every 5 days.

    Eat, lift, sleep, repeat. That's it. You might lose your abs, you might not. But, you have to decide if you want to keep the emaciated look while never building quality muscle mass, or you want to build the mass and then strip down the fat. Your body naturally wants to be lean and have enough muscle mass to survive. To change that (the muscle mass part) you have to trick your body into adapting. AND, it takes a long time. Much longer than your other posts have eluded to how long you think it should take.

    I am not talking about the typical bulk-cut-bulk cycle that a lot of bodybuilders go through. Dude, you gotta eat. I know you are, but give it some time. At least a year. Come back in June of 2013 and report back.
    +1 on all of this. you can't change things up every couple days. and you can't expect to see results overnight. you might gain 10lbs of lean mass in a year. at your age, if you lift like a monster and eat like a pig, you might put on 20lbs. stop overthinking every single minute little detail of this stuff. you're working against yourself by doing this. and stop listening to every little suggestion that every single person makes. there are a few people on this forum that ACTUALLY know what they are talking about, based on real experience. people who have trained athletes. people who are athletes. there is no magic formula for this stuff. like icarian said, eat, lift, sleep, repeat. that's it.

  6. #6
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    You're a bit confused, youngling..
    No shit, that's why I ask
    Billie trips balls

  7. #7
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    +1 on all of this. you can't change things up every couple days. and you can't expect to see results overnight. you might gain 10lbs of lean mass in a year. at your age, if you lift like a monster and eat like a pig, you might put on 20lbs. stop overthinking every single minute little detail of this stuff. you're working against yourself by doing this. and stop listening to every little suggestion that every single person makes. there are a few people on this forum that ACTUALLY know what they are talking about, based on real experience. people who have trained athletes. people who are athletes. there is no magic formula for this stuff. like icarian said, eat, lift, sleep, repeat. that's it.
    Maybe I'm just interested.. I'm not changing anything, I'm still doing starting strength 3 times a week exactly like 2 months ago when I started
    Billie trips balls

  8. #8
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    3,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Maybe I'm just interested.. I'm not changing anything, I'm still doing starting strength 3 times a week exactly like 2 months ago when I started
    you're 14. go to school. go to the gym. play sports. hang out with friends. it's the summertime.. why are you even on the internet right now?

  9. #9
    Tribal Rob's Avatar
    Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wakefield, in the Englandshire
    Posts
    1,023
    It's not nessassary to eat after a work-out, but if someone get inbetween me and food after I've been swiming I will kill them then eat the food, and if it's been a few hours in the sea trying to surf I will kill them and then eat them and then eat the food
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

  10. #10
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    you're 14. go to school. go to the gym. play sports. hang out with friends. it's the summertime.. why are you even on the internet right now?
    That's a goo question, I'm procrastinating my homework and my friends REFUSE to understand that I don't eat crap so I try to only hang out with them at places where food is unavailable otherwise I have to awkwardly refuse food every 10 minutes
    Billie trips balls

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •