Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Can't drop a pound. Legit frustrated. Help!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    50

    Can't drop a pound. Legit frustrated. Help!

    I know. I have read these threads, too. If I wasn't so completely desperate I wouldn't be begging for help... But I am.

    Variables:

    Just finished 70 days of Atkins induction-level carbs (under 30g).
    Lost 20 initially, have not lost a pound in 5 weeks.
    49 year old, peri menopausal woman.
    Switched to primal two weeks ago, added fruits, throttled calories back to 1800 (I am 5'9", 208 pounds).
    Dairy: 3T HWC, occasional plain Greek yogurt
    Fat 70%, carb 10%, protein 20%
    Drinking CO with coffee
    Walking, lifting small hand weights and "sprinting" (lol) 3x a week
    Still in ketosis (sticks dark pink)

    Sample day:
    Coffee with CO and HWC, 3 eggs
    Salad with leftover meat or fish, oil and vinegar
    Meat or fish, spinach
    Greek yogurt with strawberries, squares of 85% coffee
    Snacks: 1 ounce almonds, diet coke, some grapes or berries, had a few Atkins bars over the last two weeks

    If you are still listening, I have had two twelve day rounds of progesterone during this time.

    Thank you so much for helping me out if you can. My back is against the wall.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,057
    Not everyone does well low carb for so long. You might consider adding in more carbs, or carb cycling. Start lifting REAL weights. Small hand weights won't do you any good. Get rid of the diet coke, so many bad things in that for you.

    Turning sticks dark pink would suggest your body is not USING the ketones for energy and signifies a problem.

    Your body may also be in a rest phase before losing more weight, as 20lbs is a lot to lose.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post

    Turning sticks dark pink would suggest your body is not USING the ketones for energy and signifies a problem.

    Can you explain this pease as I though the color change was because you were in Ketosis?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    4,907
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedogs View Post
    Can you explain this please as I though the color change was because you were in Ketosis?
    atkins no longer recommends the stix. they only measure spilled ketones in the urine and are more usually a sign of hydration. they are tools for diabetics, not dieters. you're in ketosis or you're not. just like being pregnant. there is no little bit.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    Ernest Hemingway

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedogs View Post
    Can you explain this pease as I though the color change was because you were in Ketosis?
    IMHO, you are correct- at first. Then, after a period of months, I am supposed to be "Keto adapted", meaning that I am using ketones for energy needs. Ketones spilling into urine means they are not being used for energy and hence the fat is still staying stored. That is the Idiot's Guide to Keto Adaptation.

    Thank you all so much for your responses. I was hesitant to post because obviously there are a few of these threads every day. But man oh man, I think I have covered it all in terms of testing, reading, listening, trying out, cutting back, adding in. The only thing I haven't done is gotten my butt off the couch. I mean I HAVE, but not to any earth shattering extent. "Chronic cardio" validates my lifetime of not wanting to do anything active. But I have stepped it up a thousand fold in the last two weeks, upped my carbs into the 40's or 50's, pushed calories from 2300-2500 to 1800, stopped weighing myself, slept 8-9 hours, killed the Atkins bars and diet cokes (maybe three of each in the last ten days), and voila! Haven't lost an ounce. Or an inch.

    Thank you so much again for all of your responses. Keep em coming, please.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    2,142
    you've been low carbing it for a while. see what happens with a little refeed. go high carb (sweet potatoes, rice, squashes, fruit, etc.)/low fat for a couple of days, then switch back. that might be the little kick that you need.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,516
    I blame the prednisone. Nasty stuff. Not to mention whatever the prednisone was prescribed for.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I blame the prednisone. Nasty stuff. Not to mention whatever the prednisone was prescribed for.
    Progesterone, specifically Prometrium. This was supposed to bring on a TOM, but: fail. Weight gain is a huge side effect, but supposedly because it stimulates appetite, which it hasn't.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,299
    If weight gain is a side effect of the progesterone, you might gain even if it doesn't stimulate your appetite. I'm hypothyroid, and if my T3 drops very low, I will gain weight eating exactly the amount of food on which I was losing. It's all hormonal--and uncontrollable until I get my hormones regulated.

    But if it's not the meds, I'd suggest it's the calories. You say that you 'throttled back' to 1800 cal. Even though you're tall, you're perimenopausal, and that's a lot of calories for most women.

    When I was over 300 lbs (I'm currently 146), a nutritionist told me that the 'minimum' I should eat daily to lose is 1800 cal. But I have a metabolic dysfunction (which is how I got to over 300 lbs in the first place), and I knew that I could not lose on more than 1200 cal. That's what I did, and lost the first 80 lbs. Eventually I had to drop to 1000 cal to lose the rest. I am very carb sensitive (part of my dysfunction), and all this was on no more than 20g carbs, which is still the level I eat.

    I'm not telling you what's 'right' for you, but when you're not losing, the most common reason is the lack of a sufficient caloric deficit.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I blame the prednisone. Nasty stuff. Not to mention whatever the prednisone was prescribed for.
    This for sure. If your artificially monkeying around with your bodies processes with drugs it is hard to expect any sort of consistent or predictable results. Not saying that the meds were or are not currently needed, just that they create issues.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •