Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Can't drop a pound. Legit frustrated. Help! page 5

CarlaC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i'm sorry, but i don't understand why they are giving you progesterone if your cycles are naturally slowing? are you absolutely estrogen dominant and suffering other symptoms? what are the contraindications with the other meds you take?
    They are naturally slowing and I am estrogen dominant. That much I know. Hormone therapy is routine. My questioning of it is not routine. They don't want a buildup of endometrial tissue. That's all I know.

I have screwed my body up with a lifetime of eating, smoking, having five ten pound babies, popping legal meds and too much other stuff to list! I have had healthy times in there, it hasn't been all bad, but there you go. I started eating healthily maybe ten years ago. That translated to high carb and I was off to the races. Since then it's been multiple rounds of Weight Watchers and phentermine and Medifast and vegan-ing and Atkins (lost 40 ten years ago). But when I got a bad HbA1c number I freaked. Scared straight.

As I said before, this WOE is perfect for me and I have no complaints. But here I am. Same weight I was a month ago. And if anything, I over report calories.

CarlaC is offline Member
    BestBetter, thank you for all of that. I see we are both in the B-Lo. Have you found a good source for grass fed beef? The stuff they have al Wegmans is so lean that it is tough. I want to get a half cow; Native Offerings will probably not have any and won't let me reserve one. Thoughts?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedogs View Post
    I just read a this and will read it in more depth later, but it did say that if you eat fat it will make you fatter!
    Does it? I'd use some skepticism with it then.

You don't, though, necessarily need to eat a lot of fat if you are overweight, being as you can draw on your stores -- caveat -- so long as your carbs are low, your protein is moderate (enough to maintain bodymass but not excessive), and you're not hungry.

Here's a good summary on how to become a better fat burner:

Your 2012 Weight-Loss Resolution: Become a Better Fat Burner | drcate.com

I would be reluctant to cut total calories to 1200 as the first post by the OP indicates she is eating. (She says she eats 30 g of carbs, and she also says that's 10% of her total, so she must be on 1200, since 30 x 4 = 120.) I'm not quite sure how she could do all the additional exercise people are recommending on that intake -- and, as Taubes points out food intake and exercise are not independent variables, as Conventional Wisdom mistakenly assumes, but dependent variables.

I'd suggest you look at Dr. Cate's tips. (It's an offsite link, but that advice seems in line with the Primal Blueprint.)

I doubt I'm qualified to comment on the OP's problem, which seems to need medical expertise. To others I would say, what seems to be successful for most people is to keep carbs relatively low and protein moderate (but high enough) and to "eat to satiety" not to a stringent low-calorie level. Some exercise would be good but not too much and no "chronic cardio". Good sleep is also important. The book on sleep, Lights Out, says that a little R Alpha Lipoic acid and a little evening primrose oil can help reset insulin sensitivity (can't recall the dosage off the top of my head) but only if you lay off the carbs and get enough sleep in a properly darkened room. The influence of sleep -- not mentioned yet in this thread -- probably can't be underrated.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlaC View Post
    They are naturally slowing and I am estrogen dominant. That much I know. Hormone therapy is routine. My questioning of it is not routine. They don't want a buildup of endometrial tissue. That's all I know.
    i hope i don't seem too bossy, but since i am also struggling with hormonal issues, i'd like to help.

hormone therapy may be routine, but it's only because too many women don't feel empowered enough to question their doctors.

our bodies start producing less of all the sex hormones as we age. this is normal. some women do better as far as having them diminish in relative proportions and their menopause isn't awful. others are not so lucky.

unless you already have truly horrible manifestations of estrogen-dominance, like crazy bleeding or cramps that make you double over ( and granted, everybody's tolerance is different for this stuff), i don't see why you are taking synthetic hormones at all. much like giving somebody with no heart disease statins, they are treating you for something you don't have.

endometrial thickening, in and of itself, is not dangerous. it's just the messy painful fall-out that sometimes needs handling. if that starts happening, look into ablation. that may be my next step. we shall see.

just stop taking them. now.

in just 4 days of having no progesterone, i have dropped 6 pounds. that's WITH some wine last night and the return of a pretty messy tom. my mood feels like "me" again and my libido is returning a bit more each day.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlaC View Post
    BestBetter, thank you for all of that. I see we are both in the B-Lo. Have you found a good source for grass fed beef? The stuff they have al Wegmans is so lean that it is tough. I want to get a half cow; Native Offerings will probably not have any and won't let me reserve one. Thoughts?
    Yes, check out the farmer's market on Elmwood/Bidwell Saturday morning. Hanova Hills has great beef - pasture raised and finished, tastes fantastic (you can get 4lbs for $20, which is cheaper than the Wegman's grassfed), plus they have liver, oxtail, and some odds and ends that are usually difficult to find. Also, at the farmer's market there is a lady who sells rabbit, goat, chicken, turkey, and eggs (name of her farm is Painted Meadow).

And, just the other day i went to A Chau International Market (833 Niagara St.) - it's an asian market that has every weird animal part you could think of - as in bags of brains - and lots of other novel international goodies (I got this casava coconut 'cake' that was really good, and only like 3 ingredients). Have you been there? If not, it's worth the trip!

CarlaC is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Yes, check out the farmer's market on Elmwood/Bidwell Saturday morning. Hanova Hills has great beef - pasture raised and finished, tastes fantastic (you can get 4lbs for $20, which is cheaper than the Wegman's grassfed), plus they have liver, oxtail, and some odds and ends that are usually difficult to find. Also, at the farmer's market there is a lady who sells rabbit, goat, chicken, turkey, and eggs (name of her farm is Painted Meadow).

And, just the other day i went to A Chau International Market (833 Niagara St.) - it's an asian market that has every weird animal part you could think of - as in bags of brains - and lots of other novel international goodies (I got this casava coconut 'cake' that was really good, and only like 3 ingredients). Have you been there? If not, it's worth the trip!
    Lol! Yes I have indeed been there. I will go to Elmwood Saturday although I usually avoid that market like the plague because of the people. A few other people have said there is a grass fed beef truck there.

Thank you!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345