Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't drop a pound. Legit frustrated. Help! page 2

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just give it a rest and focus on eating good primal foods, ditch the scale, give it a month or two and then start again. I've been in a stall for a few months and just gave it a rest and just started dropping some fat again. The last month or so I have been less strict- alcohol, more dairy, fruit... the only thing remaining cut was grains. Just tightened things up in the last week or two and have seen 2 lbs of loss. I think taking a "healthy" break helped.

CarlaC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Lifting heavy will raise your metabolism for 24 hours beyond the exercise period itself, thus burning more calories than your basic cardio. It also increases your insulin sensitivity. I'd highly recommend you take the lifting advice seriously as part of solving this problem.
    On it. Thank you!

If I'm eating too many bloody calories (which I'm sure I am) I don't even know where to go from here. Cutting out the CO will get rid of 275 or so. Almonds, dark chocolate- omg, is life going to be worth living? Haha..... But this has been just short of three months. I love it, it's all good, but I don't want to cut back on the really good stuff any more. Obviously if I reduce the meat and up the veg I will save calories, but forget about the 100 grams of protein at that point.

This has been a really easy deal for me. I have LOVED the stable blood sugar- just the incredible #jerf WOE. But I have to really look hard at this, break it down to its component parts, examine everything.

I'll up the lifting and lower the calories. Hey- at least I'm not gaining. If I add more veg and a bit more fruit I will reduce the Calories.

CarlaC is offline Member
    To those of you who mentioned thyroid, my last was 1.22 (right when I started Atkins). T4, whatever that is: .9. HbA1C: 5.3.

I sooooo want to just give up and go primal without a thought to the business end of things, but that is what I am doing by going primal after three months of an Atkins/Taubes HFLC thing. I will be pounding down calories like crazy if I don't give some thought to it at this point.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    If you are pounding down calories something is out of balance. You shouldn't have the desire to binge if you are doing it right. I'd say let yourself have some carbs- even something like ice cream or chocolate (in a controlled portion like a Haagen Daz single serve).

I remember from CW days- a few months of good compliance= binge city when I would ease up.

I dunno, before I started stripping out all the pleasure from my diet I'd go ahead and adopt the primal lifestyle, get used to more carbs (you know fruits, veggies, occasional starches), do the work outs and in two months look at how my clothes are fitting and go from there.

I think the key is getting to a diet that is sustainable, which for most people= slow, very slow weight loss which is not the worst thing in the world when you realize that slow=never having to lose that pound again.

I feel like the failure of Atkins is that you eventually just can't keep eating that way (for most people) and never learned to eat a well rounded diet while dieting. Primal has set me up to naturally eat the right amount of foods and calories for maintenance and nourishment without thinking. It just takes some time and patience.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    the sugar alcohols in those atkins bar stall lots of peeps. if you want a snack, eat some hard-boiled eggs or a chicken leg. some sliced turkey and cheese.

for the last 10 months i had a mirena iud, which secretes progesterone. among other bad side effects, i could not lose the weight i put on while having it. i had it removed monday and am down 6 pounds in 4 days, even though my flow has resumed with a vengeance and i had 3 glasses of wine last night. normally that tom/wine combo and i'd be super bloated.

sounds like you're tracking your foods? 70% fat may just be too high. instead of added fats, eat fattier meats. might wanna add more protein and carbs, like leafy greens, and lower the fats. broccoli, cauliflower and zucchini are kinda carby. i'm like you, i don't like sweet potatoes or bananas at all and too much fruit just isn't good for me. i eat berries just a few times per week.

and yeah, ditch the soda. it's just awful for you.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

ilovedogs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post

Turning sticks dark pink would suggest your body is not USING the ketones for energy and signifies a problem.

Can you explain this pease as I though the color change was because you were in Ketosis?

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    If you are pounding down calories something is out of balance. You shouldn't have the desire to binge if you are doing it right. I'd say let yourself have some carbs- even something like ice cream or chocolate (in a controlled portion like a Haagen Daz single serve).
    minutes after having my iud put in, which secretes progesterone, i had AN UNBELIEVABLE OMG MUST HAVE CANDY NOW urge. i don't even have a sweet tooth. luckily i was near a whole paycheck and got a fruit cup intsead. but over the 10 months i've had it have been fighting off urges and binging on sweets and carbs like nobody's business. it's the hormones. had the thing removed monday and poof! haven't had a craving all week.

I feel like the failure of Atkins is that you eventually just can't keep eating that way (for most people) and never learned to eat a well rounded diet while dieting. Primal has set me up to naturally eat the right amount of foods and calories for maintenance and nourishment without thinking. It just takes some time and patience.
    done properly, atkins is a 4-phase system of slowly adding back carbs and figuring out good levels of fat and proteins that are sustainable and healthy. it's just that most people don't follow the plan and get hung up on eating bars and shakes and junky low-carb products instead of real food. that's the american mindset of immediate gratification, and has little to do with proper atkins.

atkins is what got me to here. it fixed a lot that was wrong with my body and my health.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedogs View Post
    Can you explain this please as I though the color change was because you were in Ketosis?
    atkins no longer recommends the stix. they only measure spilled ketones in the urine and are more usually a sign of hydration. they are tools for diabetics, not dieters. you're in ketosis or you're not. just like being pregnant. there is no little bit.

Ernest Hemingway

Rosencrantz1 is offline Member
    Two thoughts, but first a caveat:

I'm not a doctor, a medical professional, or anything remotely like that. These are just two thoughts that may help you.

1) Your body fat is controlled by hormones. Hormones are responsible for putting fatty acids into triglycerides in your fat cells, and hormones are responsible for getting them out for fuel. This is why calories in/calories out is not useful when discussing weight loss. The techniques used in Atkins, talked about by Taubes, and supported in much of the primal/paleo community all have to do with the same underlying concept: you are improving your hormone profile which leads to better body composition. Cutting carbs is effective for most people because of the strong relationship between carb intake and insulin. There are other things that do influence insulin sensitivity -- exercise for instance. The reason exercise is beneficial in helping with weight control is *not* because of burning calories; it's because exercise improves your hormone profile. Given the importance of hormones in fat regulation, it seems to me (again, remember my opening caveat!) that the hormones you have been taking are the overwhelming cause of your weight loss stall.

2) Hand-in-hand with that, I think that the idea of a hierarchy of import sometimes gets overlooked on the MDA forums. In my reading of your OP, the hormones you have taking so far outweigh any diet tweaking that I really think that's the place to look first. After that, I would agree with trying to cut the processed stuff first - Atkins bars, diet soda, etc. IMO, getting processed food out of your diet takes significant precedence over adjusting your already-small dairy intake, or worrying about your fat percentage. If your carb intake is already low, worrying too much about potatoes versus some other carb source seems not terribly important in comparison to the hormones and processed food.

Hope this helps! Hang in there!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    It sounds to me like your body has been majorly hormonally screwed up for a while if a doctor is giving you potent steroids to induce your period.

I would not focus on losing the last bit of weight at all. I would focus on restoring metabolic and hormonal health and physical fitness.

Ditch all the artificial chemical foods. They have things in them that mess up the hormones. Stay away from artificial flavors, "natural flavor" (which means MSG) and all forms of MSG which means hydrolized anything and other hidden forms. That shit messes you up. Stay away from soy including soy protein powder, isolate, lecithin and all the rest. Soy messes up your hormones. Just eat real, plain, basic foods as they come from nature. Go ahead and count calories or carbs if that floats your boat, but don't try to force your broken body to lose more weight. It's only going to raise your cortisol and stress you out. You need this time for healing.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast