Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PB fitness schedule made by Mark page

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member

PB fitness schedule made by Mark

Shop Now
    I'm a little unclear as to why Mark chose to plan "lift heavy things" only 2x per week. Assuming that the heavy thing you are lifting is your own body weight, and not pushing around some boulder or lifting heavy free weights, why would he limit the pull ups/push ups/squat stuff? Based on his idea, Grok would likely have done those things everyday throughout the day as he climbed trees, squatted for barious things, scaled mountain sides, etc. Sprinting is also limited, but Grok likely sprinted at least once each day.

That being said, my concern is overtraining yet I want to get stronger faster. I get the importance of rest days, and I'm looking to avoid inflammation and stress as much as possible for adrenal fatigue. But couldn't I do the lift heavy things cycle more often and sprint more often for faster results as long as I rest? Or will I not benefit from that? I haven't been doing it long, so I have nothing to measure results by. I do know that even though I'm still doing modified versions of the exercises, I feel stronger in other activities like golf. I used to feel like a cooked noodle when I held a club.

So, what can I do to maximize or speed things along? I'm ready to get serious about it. I wouldn't mind beating my husband at golf as a side effect.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    true, grok would have been wayyyy more active than most people are today, but it would have been spread out more too. he wouldn't be lifting heavy things for a straight hour, or doing repeat sprint routines...he would do these things only once or twice as necessary. the point of lifting only a couple of times a week is to put in a lot of work in a short time (since we generally have things like work and stuff that get in the way of mimicking grok completely) and for recovery...which is when you actually get stronger.
    if you don't work or have a job that allows a lot of movement, you can definitely spread that work out a lot more. lots and lots of walking is probably the best way to emulate grok, but throw in some sprints and tree climbing and boulder (car) pushing whenever it strikes you. i don't know that it would help you reach your goals any faster though.

want to get lean and kick ass? keep your food primal, sleep well, lift heavy, sprint, and rest.

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    I find the book linked below to be an awesome and challenging workout. After the first couple weeks, I was in teh rhythm and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-O...e+your+own+gym

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigigaw View Post
    I find the book linked below to be an awesome and challenging workout. After the first couple weeks, I was in teh rhythm and love it.

Amazon.com: You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises (9780345528582): Mark Lauren, Joshua Clark: Books
    Armed with Mark Lauren’s motivation techniques, expert training, and nutrition advice, you’ll see rapid results by working out just thirty minutes a day, four times a week—whether in your living room, yard, garage, hotel room, or office...

Is that not too much?

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    That being said, my concern is overtraining yet I want to get stronger faster. I get the importance of rest days, and I'm looking to avoid inflammation and stress as much as possible for adrenal fatigue. But couldn't I do the lift heavy things cycle more often and sprint more often for faster results as long as I rest? Or will I not benefit from that?
    I think -- and this is a total assumption here-- Mark made his 2x guideline as a benchmark for those inexperienced so they don't overtrain. In reality growth and progress are purely based on recovery. If you recover faster than the normal person, lift more often. If you recover slower, cry yourself to sleep.

I recover fast, so I train 5 days a week as heavy as I can manage, and I've made calculated gains consistently.

Because of how we eat, move, and live everyone is different, thus making it impossible to have a strict guideline for everyone to follow. Trust your own body.
    I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Quote Originally Posted by NicMcCool View Post
    I think -- and this is a total assumption here-- Mark made his 2x guideline as a benchmark for those inexperienced so they don't overtrain. In reality growth and progress are purely based on recovery. If you recover faster than the normal person, lift more often. If you recover slower, cry yourself to sleep.

I recover fast, so I train 5 days a week as heavy as I can manage, and I've made calculated gains consistently.

Because of how we eat, move, and live everyone is different, thus making it impossible to have a strict guideline for everyone to follow. Trust your own body.
    For faster recovery, I kow to eat protein right after a workout, but what about rest days? Do heavy protein rest days speed recovery?

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    For faster recovery, I kow to eat protein right after a workout, but what about rest days? Do heavy protein rest days speed recovery?
    Honestly I eat the same amount of protein day in and day out. The only thing that changes are the sources. This totally works for me.

Someone with more macronutrient knowledge should chime in on this.
    I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    From Mark's perspective he was probably writing about the least you can do to still get physical benefits, not the most you can do without over-training.

That'd go down a lot better than recommending people sprint 4x weekly, lift heavy things 5x and walk 20 hours a week.

BamaAla is offline Member
    Paul Wade suggests 2 days a week in his "Convict Conditioning" as well. In the "Super FAQ" he goes into some more detail as to why; check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    That'd go down a lot better than recommending people sprint 4x weekly, lift heavy things 5x and walk 20 hours a week.
    With that in mind, what if I did a 3x a week workout that covered all my bases: walk to warm up, sprint to get my muscles going, then do the lift heavy things workout?

Side note: I don't want to lose weight, just get stronger. Sculpting is good, but I need to keep some of my female fat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast