Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PB fitness schedule made by Mark page 2

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaAla View Post
    Paul Wade suggests 2 days a week in his "Convict Conditioning" as well. In the "Super FAQ" he goes into some more detail as to why; check it out.
    I can't find a legit link for this on google. Everything is "free downloads" but require membership stuff.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    More is not better when it comes to exercise! The right amount is best. Simply doing more does not mean you will get stronger faster. It doesn't work that way. You must recover locally (the muscles worked) then systemically and then after all that has taken place if all else is optimal, then growth takes place. Training before all of this takes place will short circuit the process and progress will be minimal or non existent. Carried on too far, regression is next along with chronic fatigue. There are few easier ways to trash your adrenal glands than to workout more than is required. In really extreme cases it can takes months of no training whatsoever to recover systemically from the adrenal burnout.
    If you are training with true intensity doing full body routines, two times is more than enough and a lot of people would do better on once a week. Increasing your frequency then adding even more HIIT sessions is a prescription for disaster. You won't be able to do it for very long. Your motivation will drop off quickly. Its quality, not quantity.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Let me address a couple of ideas here. One, Grok may or may not have sprinted and lifted everyday. Evidence from modern hunter gatherers suggests that he didn't. But what Grok had to do to survive, every day since childhood, is not necessarily the same thing that a modern middle aged person should do to get into Grok-shape.
    Full-time fitness experts recommend everything from once per week (Body By Science) to every day or 6 days a week (Power To The People). What we know is: You get fitter during the rest periods, not during the workouts. If you don't have enough rest, you won't get fitter. How much rest YOU need is an unknown. Twice a week seems to work really great for most people. It works great for me, and the exercise I do, but so does three or four if the sessions are more varied and not always 100% intense. YMMV, that's the main point. Also, don't second-guess programs. Just do them for a few months, then once you have evidence of how they work or don't for YOU, tweak as needed.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I don't think Grok's life was as strenuous as some people would like to believe. There was probably a lot more walking, but the stuff that everybody wants to imagine as being so strenuous and time-consuming probably wasn't. I remember seeing on 60 minutes some hunter-gatherers who lived near the sea. Hungry? Took the guy about 2 minutes to spear a fish. The Indians up in Nor Cal still are allowed to scoop salmon up with nets. All you have to do is stand there at a bottleneck and scoop the fish as they fly up out of the water. I also recently saw a video on a website for a special lightweight fishing pole. To catch a fish took less effort than it takes me to push a cart around a supermarket. Considering that Grok's world probably had way more wildlife than ours, I think that he didn't work as hard as a lot of these guys pumping huge heavy weights and pushing truck tires up hills and such. Here's the fishing video.
    Tenkara USA

Anyway, as an older woman trying to get in shape after a long life of mostly only doing cardio things like hiking, bike riding and jogging, I struggle against my inability to do more. Even just doing body weight exercise, twice a week is plenty. I end up spending 4 days a week sore just from that. I've seen real improvements doing only twice a week. The sprinting, I'd love to do it more than once a week but I'm sore for a few days from the sprinting. So basically I'm sore almost every day. At least it's not always the same body parts that are sore so I can go ahead and do whatever's next up on my schedule.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    More is not better when it comes to exercise! The right amount is best. Simply doing more does not mean you will get stronger faster. It doesn't work that way. You must recover locally (the muscles worked) then systemically and then after all that has taken place if all else is optimal, then growth takes place. Training before all of this takes place will short circuit the process and progress will be minimal or non existent. Carried on too far, regression is next along with chronic fatigue. There are few easier ways to trash your adrenal glands than to workout more than is required. In really extreme cases it can takes months of no training whatsoever to recover systemically from the adrenal burnout.
    If you are training with true intensity doing full body routines, two times is more than enough and a lot of people would do better on once a week. Increasing your frequency then adding even more HIIT sessions is a prescription for disaster. You won't be able to do it for very long. Your motivation will drop off quickly. Its quality, not quantity.
    I have adrenal fatigue. Will I not get stronger locally as long as I'm weak systematically? Is that how that works?

BamaAla is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    I can't find a legit link for this on google. Everything is "free downloads" but require membership stuff.
    PDF: http://www.dragondoor.com/pdf/Convic..._SUPER_FAQ.pdf

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    I have adrenal fatigue. Will I not get stronger locally as long as I'm weak systematically? Is that how that works?
    What is "stonger locally" and "weak systematically"? Do you mean "Can I get stronger even if I have health problems?"
    If you have adrenal fatigue you should probably fix that before getting into heavy exercise. If you can exercise, you should follow a program as written for a couple months before trying to re-engineer it.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    What is "stonger locally" and "weak systematically"? Do you mean "Can I get stronger even if I have health problems?"
    If you have adrenal fatigue you should probably fix that before getting into heavy exercise. If you can exercise, you should follow a program as written for a couple months before trying to re-engineer it.
    I'm not sure; that's what I was asking forever young. They are new terms to me.

As far as adrenal fatigue, I think exercise is helping. The stronger my muscles get, the better I feel and the better I sleep which helps me heal. So I need exercise to heal. I'm on new turf with working out though. I come from a family of triathletes who follow CW. I am all but brainwashed. CW says if some is good, a lot is great. Old habits die hard.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaAla View Post
    Thank you!

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Re: protein on "rest" days. Your muscles (re)build while you're resting, so yes... protein is just as important on the days you don't lift heavy things.

That said, I agree with the PB guideline of 0.7 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight. So if you stick in that range every day, you're good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast