Thread: Sprinting/HIT workouts. page

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member

Sprinting/HIT workouts.

So, I hate the scheduled running/sprints (I do some sprints, usually 2-3 longer ones during a walk 2-3 times a week) and finally got around to trying Tabata exercises and I really like them. My body responds really well to this type of exercise.
    So do Tabata exercises that aren't sprints count as sprinting? On monday I did 2 rounds of squats and half a round of push-ups. My arms are just now not feeling sore. I could probably do 3 rounds of squats, or maybe a round of sit-ups or planks.
    If those do not count as sprinting, what do they count as? It felt pretty HIT, maybe that? My legs were sore for a day and then that dissipated the next day, so its something I think I could do a couple days a week.
    Are there any HIT workouts I can do at home, with body weight? (I can't do pull ups) I would rather not join a gym, it just seems frivolous.

Its kind of a jumble, but I'm trying to get a good workout schedule. I enjoy yoga and walking, sometimes doing a couple sprints. I do think I would rather train really hard for less time during the week. I've found that my body really likes medium intensity weight training sessions that last for about an hour. I enjoy actual physical work but live in an apartment and have a non-physical job, so there aren't any bricks to haul or bushes to carry. My body likes medium intensity weight training for longer periods of time. Kettle ball, maybe?

I'm feeling confused because I don't know where to start and in the posts I read, people seem to have these fairly rigid schedules that I find daunting and intimidating.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I do Kettlebell with Tabata but I don't do it every week as it is pretty stressful on your body.

I usually do a round (4mins) of Swings and then a round of KB Snatch and maybe finish off with a round of squat and press.

12 mins of work and I am pretty much dead as they are all compound movements that workout your core.

You could definitely throw in a few body weight movements in there as well

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you definitely do not need to have a rigid work out schedule. some people just like that, others might be training for something...you need to figure out what works for you so that exercise isn't a chore. i do at-home body weight work twice a week for an hour (used to be shorter, but i added some stuff), and sprint once a week...then i just walk my dog or go hiking to stay moderately active. any amount of time you spend exercising is better than doing nothing. the two programs that really jump out at me for the length of time you desire, the intensity you desire, and your at-home desire are Primal blueprint fitness or simplefit. the only thing you need for each is a place to do pull ups. pbf is free here on MDA, and simplefit is free at simplefit.org.

now, for your tabata question, i'm sure there are plenty who will disagree, but i think tabata should be done with some sort of cardio exercise where you can go all out: hill sprints, stationary bike, c2rower, burpees, etc.
    that has to do with the timing and intensity of the protocol. i do think you can do high intensity intervals with things like squats and pushups (in fact, simplefit day 1 is sort of like that), but you should just create your own interval timings/rep counts, and make the movements as explosive as possible. instead of squats, try jump squats...10 sets of 10 with minimal rest is a killer short workout. that way, you're still getting a great metabolic training session, but you're getting more out of it than tabata allows with movements like that. a good way to tell if something is a good tabata exercise is if you are too exhausted to get a sip of water when you're done. it should wreck you. most of the time, i think a good HIIT workout that takes around 20 minutes is a better option.

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like the suggestions on simplfit.org. I think that's a great place for me to get started.
    I also like your suggestion of jump squats. I think those will really kill me. (I hate burpees. I get dizzy and cranky) Heh, I couldn't complete a round of push-ups (managed 4 intervals) and could barely lift my arms to get a cup for water. They were shaky the rest of the day and into the next one. My legs were fine though.
    I understand what you're saying about longer workouts. I am generally ok with them, but get frustrated and the short explosiveness of the Tabata stuff keeps me engaged. I find my body likes it a lot, actually. I love the slight soreness the next day.