Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Angry Paleo Cat is Angry page 2

Isisinabi is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow. It's been since 6/29 since I could eat bacon and eggs and enjoy it. Today I started looking for something for breakfast, and I said, "let me try these eggs with all this crap" and it was good. Part of my brain was scared, thinking it'd be gross to me still, but it wasn't.

2 Eggs
    4 bacon strips
    collard greens (sauteed) in omelette
    green peas (sauteed) in omelette

Bacon tastes good again. The world feels right again.

So I am going to take the advice of some of the posters in my other thread, but also Pamsc. I am going to take it slowly. Not push myself too hard. One of the big things I wanted to do was be under 300lbs. I just couldn't be happy if I was up that high. Now that I'm not anymore, I feel like I may some time and I can slowly work on me.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on being under 300! Does the idea "my body, my science experiment" appeal to you? There is lots you can tinker with to figure out what works best for you.

Please read the book Slow Fat Triathlete, by Jayne Williams. I read it in 2004 when I was 48 years old. I had been diagnosed with diabetes 6 months earlier weighing about 215 (at 5'6") and had gone low carb and the weight was beginning to come off. Less than a year later I did my first sprint triathlon, and two years after that I did a half ironman http://deeplanguage.blogspot.com/200...lina-half.html. I had never been a runner or a member of a swim team. She argues we can live our athletic dreams in the bodies we have, and (what was most crucial to me), that you don't have to be good at something to enjoy doing it. I think it would be a helpful book even if your athletic dream is something very different from triathlons.

Here are a couple of examples of triathletes racing in the Athena category: http://www.saroy.net/2007/05/combat-...on-race-r.html and http://www.runhollyrun.com/?p=465. I think you are looking for something more like adventure racing or even Muddy buddy.
    Last edited by Pamsc; 07-05-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: to add links

Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    Congratulations on being under 300! Does the idea "my body, my science experiment" appeal to you? There is lots you can tinker with to figure out what works best for you.

Please read the book Slow Fat Triathlete, by Jayne Williams. I read it in 2004 when I was 48 years old. I had been diagnosed with diabetes 6 months earlier weighing about 215 (at 5'6") and had gone low carb and the weight was beginning to come off. Less than a year later I did my first sprint triathlon, and two years after that I did a half ironman Deep Language. I had never been a runner or a member of a swim team. She argues we can live our athletic dreams in the bodies we have, and (what was most crucial to me), that you don't have to be good at something to enjoy doing it. I think it would be a helpful book even if your athletic dream is something very different from triathlons.

Here are a couple of examples of triathletes racing in the Athena category: Combat Sprint Triathlon Race Report - saroy.net and Chicago Triathlon – August 28, 2011 Race Photos | Run Holly Run. I think you are looking for something more like adventure racing or even Muddy buddy.
    I started reading this and I thank you. I am currently figuring out my place in that stuff. It's somewhere in there.

Stressed out.

Stressed out, not sleeping, frustrated.

Dealing with trying to get accepted to a new school, the price of our new apartment, trying to deal with my lack of creativity, and my stupid stupid hair has made me so frustrated that I actually ate a 3 Muskateers bar. As bacon grease falls on my shirt *sigh*.

I'm 297.2, gaining an ounce from yesterday. I was at 296.8, so that's a .4 increase. I haven't been able to walk lately, it's been like 100 degrees outside and I'm killing myself just walking into the door.

I tried rice this weekend, and that was a no. I got the same burn in my stomach that I had before, but now I know what it means. So I can't enjoy the lovliness of rice anymore. The chicken and veggies I had with it is fine though. Was actually good minus the green peppers. I have done a lot of changes in my life but adding in peppers is just no. It's a texture thing, I just can't do it.

Also, I tried almond milk. I found some that Silk makes that has no sugar in it, and is basically crushed almonds and filtered water. It was so delicious, I made some warm milk, stuck cinnamon in it and drank it as a treat. I am going to figure out how to melt dark chocolate and make hot chocolate like that.

So I have to go to work and will try to walk today. I have an appointment with my foot doctor tomorrow, who knows what she's going to say about how bad my feet are, as they hurt pretty much all the time even when I'm just sitting there.

Anyway, that's all for now. I gotta get some sleep tonight.

Been a while I know. I'm writing this from my IPhone just because I needed to get out the excitement. I have been doing a lot of experimentation and I have done two things as a result. 1. I eated some potatos, and I am a Frodo and not a Samwise. POTATOS ARE GOOD! Apparently my body can handle the starch and the carbs and so I can eat them. We made a pork roast, and with it we had potatos, celery, carrots, and onions. I had been staying away from them since I started but I insisted on trying. So I did. Not only did I not have any problems at all, my weight loss appears to have accelerated. Since those are the only real carbs I'm having (I eat the equivalent of 1.5 whole potatos since we quartered them) I am not goin into carb overload. And I feel full and satiated all day. I'm now only eating once and maybe a small snack later and I'm perfectly find. Plus the second thing

2. I'm 287 pounds!!!! I haven't been this size in 4+ years! I'm so excited that I have serious motivation to continue. I think the only time I have a problem is when I don't have any paleo food in the house. If I keep myself stocked and good, I won't have a problem. And even if there is a point where I have to eat pizza or Chinese because nothing is thawed it's ok. I am a fat burning machine now. I can handle it and not get upset. I can do this. 28 lbs down, 150 tO go.

Guilt.

You know what's weird? Guilt. It finds its way to creep up on you no matter how good you're doing. Saturday night I had chicken and onions, carrots and kale. I felt TERRIBLE about that for some odd reason. I am down to eating once a day with a tiny snack or so throughout the day. I'm not really hungry most of the time. So anyway, I danced last Thursday and went up by 3 lbs. I think that's just muscle. I really have to stop checking every single day, but it's like an obsession or something. But that makes me wonder. It's too hot to walk most days, as I work at night and getting up at noon is terrible, walking while at work makes me sweaty and thats gross, so I have been doing my dancing thing at night for a half hour. It's fun as I could dance for hours anyway, and I can just stop and sit down when my back starts to hurt again. I hope dancing in place of walking is okay at least until the temps go down and my back and feet feel a little better.

oh so Sunday night I had lemon and garlic wingetts (however you spell that) and they were so delicious I ended up eating 12. Luckily that's all I had for the day. Today I'm kind of hungry, I may have an apple and end up eating twice today.

So I had been IF for a while, only eating once a day. My weight had stalled (and went up by 3lbs after working out, oddly), but has stayed around 287. So, I decided to eat 3 times a day. Yesterday morning I ate:

4 bacon
    2 eggs
    1 cup spinach

For lunch I had:
    1 chicken thigh
    kale

Dinner:
    turkey
    onion
    kale
    Yams

So when I woke up this morning I was RAVENOUS. I had:
    1 egg, 4 bacon.
    lunch I had:
    a caesar salad with chicken.

I sat there at about 8:30 CRAVING taco bell. Now I used to get this like once every 3 months and it would last for 2 days. I don't ever have Taco Bell except for then. Any other time it's disgusting to me. Like I would literally prefer my own tacos to taco bell, and their restaurant stinks to high heaven. So anyway, I really wanted Taco Bell. I figured out that I wanted the carbohydrates. I came home today and this is what I had:

1/2 Steak
    1/2 cup onions
    1/2 cup sweet potato
    3 tbsp green beans

I feel satisfied. My craving is gone for now. However there is still a problem. I don't remember what I did to get the initial weight off. All I did was stop eating wheat, eat vegetables and meat and walk. I am not gaining which is good but since I stopped at 287 I am curious if I did something wrong with my fasting and made my body freak itself out and hold on to fat instead of using it. So I am going to go back to eating 3x a day, maybe sometimes 2x a day and walk, even on days that it's 80+ deg and 500% humidity. But I think I'm still doing something wrong, and I'm going to re-read Mark's book and see if there's something I am doing wrong.

So a quick update. I'm still paleo. I have gotten down to 275 lbs. 2 weeks ago was my bf's birthday and I was also on vacation and I did mess up a bit. We had cake and low carb ice cream once a day for a week. So I went up to 278 during it. I went back straight primal (which I figures out that I am, I am primal not paleo) and I am now at about 275. My walking has begun again, and I'm going to increase my working out, including adding lift heavy things, sprinting and squats. I'm having hormone imbalances right now but I'm still doing pretty ok. I'm going back to a more protein more veggies less potato type deal. I still have coconut milk in the mornings and I cook with coconut oil. I also am still trying to figure out if I should force myself to eat if I'm not hungry. More later, I have class tomorrow.

Debdoub is offline Member
    Congrats on the weight loss. It sounds like you are figuring out what works for you!

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Isis,
    congratulations on the weight loss! the first weeks / months can be hard with carb flu, stress, trying to figure out what to eat, what to cook and checking the scale every day!

I think you're on the right track - focus on eating when you are hungry only, non-processed primal foods, and moving around. It sounds like you are walking still. I love walking, and for general overall health-there's nothing better! I also love lifting, strength is sooo sexy and empowering!

I focused on food first due to IBS / GERD issues and did an elimination diet. I think I ate only meat, bacon, eggs and vegetables for 30 days, maybe more. Unfortunately, I think I OD'd on Bacon too and couldn't eat it for a while. Now, I eat it occasionally - but it isn't a staple.

I also went through a period where my appetite was wonky, my cycle was seriously screwed up, and some emotional ups and downs.

Just remember, you literally are what you eat.
    unprocessed, natural food makes me feel natural and whole.
    processed oils, flour and sugar gives me a highly UN-natural pain in my stomach along with migraines, muscle aches, fatigue, etc.

I like feeling natural, so I'll eat that way.

Good luck on your journey - always go forward

pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast