Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever considered living Off-Grid or at least far away from population? page

Greg is offline Senior Member

Just curious if any of you already do, plan on, consider to or dream of living Off-Grid for the Ultimate Primal Lifestyle?

I'm in the process of putting the pieces together for myself. I plan on living Off-Grid within the next two years. Ultimately building a full time, cabin/home with solar and wind power on at least a 30 acre lot.

There are certain modern conveniences I would need such as cell phone and internet reception. Possibly via satellite if feasible.

My living expenses will be limited to property taxes, food and insurances. I will grow my own organic vegetables however I do not intend on keeping any livestock so my meats and poultry would be purchased from nearby farms (grass fed of course!).

There are lots of details regarding heating alternatives and such which I'd like to talk about if anyone wants to strum up a convo on this subject.

Anyone else out there after this freedom as well?

ZC - 100% Carnivore

I EAT VEGANS

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

I would LOVE to do this and it's always been a dream of mine. It just isn't possible for me though. I live in the city right now and hate it. I would love to live in the wilderness somewhere, beside a forest and a lake.. in front of some mountains. Or the desert but it'd be pretty impossible to live there. I think it appeals to my inner misanthrope, lol.

Suzan is offline Senior Member

We are quite interested, but currently it is not feasible for us. I wish you the best! It's quite a nice way to live.

Greg is offline Senior Member

I figured there would be people here who at least show interest on the topic - so thanks for the replies!

I'm currently living in a city now and grew up in the burbs. I am so tired of the congestion, traffic, pollution etc... and have been planning this for quite a while now.

I work as a Paramedic for a living so I would still need to commute to my job. Luckily I only work three 12 hr. shifts per week so I have 4 days off in a row every week. My vacations, when I put the weeks together, sometimes give me as much as a month off. So I'll have all the freedom and space I could ever ask for while still earning a living at a job I love.

Even though I'd only have to drive to work 3 days per week I wouldn't want a ridiculous commute so somewhere about an hour away would work well. An hour outside of the city is in the middle of nowhere where I'm from.

In more detail of my set up, I forgot to add propane as a regular expense which wouldn't be all that much - less than $1k for the entire year. The propane would be used to operate my stove, fridge, partial heating, etc... I'll also have a wood stove where I plan on taking down some "my own trees" (sorry greenie extremists) as a heating source as well.

Oh so much more to discuss... I just love talking about this way of life!

ZC - 100% Carnivore

I EAT VEGANS

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

That is definitely part of my dream. After we pay off our student loans and save up for land and a cabin/living space, my husband and I would love to do that. Although, we were thinking 5-10 acres. Part of our dream is to have a little store where I sell stuff from my green house, possibly eggs(depending on how many chickens we have) and artwork created by us.

The wood stove is awesome, I lived at a place where that was the main heating. It was easy to dry clothes during the winter. Good luck with all of your plans.

Jefferson is offline Member

"There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace."

Aldo Leopold wrote that. If you haven't read his stuff, may I recommend it? It's very, very good.

I would love to live off grid, although that would be impractical in the area where I live. The forest near a lake sounds like a great place to spend a few years, though.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

I dream of it every day. But I think I'd have to leave Canada to do it because I can't think of anyplace where winter wouldn't be an absolute bitch, because of cold or snow or both. This past winter was the straw that broke the camel's back and I don't want to go through -40 again.

The only problem I can see is loneliness. Maybe we should get a Primal commune discussion going again.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Brewtality Guest

I grew up this way. Well, I guess it depends on how off the grid you are talking about. We had water and electricity, but no cable ect. We grew large gardens (my grandfather left a 5 acre garden behind when he died). I fished every weekend, and hunted in season. We had goats, chickens, ducks, cows, ect that we raised and ate.

My parents still live out there, but they dont really live this way anymore. Its more of a hobby than a lifestyle for them now. I am moving back down there next week and intend to start it up again. I just bought 23 acres that connects to my parents 40... all total my close family probably has 400 right there that I can access. I will be living some distance away, but I intend to get cows, and chickens, and a garden going this year. In the next two years I plan to save up my money. Then I will design and build my own house.

So far, the only external line I want coming to that house is electricity. If sufficient advances are made in self generation and storage, I will consider them. At this point solar/wind dont seem economical. However with the level of inflation that I expect over the next decade they will probably pay for themselves quickly. I think I just talked myself into it.

I plan to get my water from a well (no gov. addatives in my water). I guess I will want satalite internet (its the only thing available). No TV, but plenty of exercise area. Lots of peace and tranquility in backwoods Mississippi.

If there is a Private message system on here somewhere, I will give you my email address. I would love to keep up with how this plan unfolds as it seems we are thinking along the same lines.

Eh screw it, its Hankhktulu@gmail.com I think I can trust the MDA folks for the most part.

Jefferson is offline Member

Do you know anything about sub-surface heat sinks? They probably have another name than that, but I've read good stuff about them. You might also look into the idea of living below the ground. Berm and sub-grade houses are very efficient in terms of heating and cooling, and the build costs can be less than an above-grade house.

You might also look into alternative building materials like rammed earth, hay bale, adobe, or (my personal favorite) earth bag. They make really cool houses, are very cheap and efficient and you can have a big part in the building of your own home.

I'm kind of in the market for a new career field right now. Being a paramedic is a possibility. How long have you been one and do you enjoy it?

shastagirl Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

this has always been my dream. we bought around 6 months ago a 130 year old farm house on 24 acres. its got electricity running water cable hookups all that jazz, its been remodelled on the inside but we still have all the beautiful old rock walls and stepping stones and little stone and brick stairwells in the yard that lead to nowhere. it already has an established orchard and vineyard. we are tilling a section for our veggies and herbs, and recently put up rabbit cages with rabbits (in the rabbit pen i think it used to be a small veggie garden because we have been finding lettuce and carrots popping up in their pen much to our rabbits happiness!) and in the middle of building a chicken yard that already has this ancient shop perfect for them to roost in attached. bought 24 chicks that are making home in a large plastic tub in my sunroom where its warm til they are big enough to go outside. we are looking into buying some goats and setting up a hog pen in the forest area where we have a natural spring feeding a hand dug concreted old well that used to be the water supply for the house until several new wells were installed (4 wells total, thats alot of water lol).

we live around a 2 minute or less drive from a beautiful big lake, can probably walk there in 15 minutes. that can suffice if we ever want some fish there is catfish, bass and trout. probably a few more fish too like bluegill or wutnot.

i dont think we will ever be completely off the grid but we did want to set something up incase this place goes to hell in a handbasket, we have something for our kids.

now just to save up for the hefty investment of solar cells and batteries! im so excited!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast