Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprint volume page

mike_h is offline Senior Member

Sprint volume

Primal Fuel
    I'd like to gauge the various volumes (distance/duration, reps, frequency) that people here sprint at.

I think I may have taken the short-sharp idea a bit too far.

Depending on the patch of grass at hand mine are probably only 70-80m long, and I do maybe 4 of them.
    Thinking it should be a bit more on both counts.

zsz101 is offline Junior Member
    Hey Mike,

I'm not sure if my sprint structure would apply to actual running sprints as I do mine on a stationary bike, but I typically perform 8 to 10 reps with 30 second sprints and 60 second rest periods.

I just started this structure about a month ago, and my goal is to increase my output at each sprint session. Currently I'm accomplishing that by adding an additional sprint each week. Once I reach a total sprint time of 20 minutes, I plan on increasing output by either lessening my rest periods or lengthening my sprint periods. Hope this helps!

ZZ

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    I generally alternate between 50 and 100 meters (approximately). I don't normally count my runs anymore...depending on the distance and how I feel I do anywhere from 5 to 12. On occasion I do a couple 400-800 meter runs, 2-5x.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I probably run more than most PB's, and more than is recommended for fitness; but it's part of the job for me.

100m Sprints x 10
    400m Sprint Repeats x 2.5 miles
    800m Sprint Repeats x 3 miles

and usually a 5-8K run somewhere.

Note this is not recommend for Primal Blueprint, nor am I making any recommendations other than to sprint and have fun.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses. I think I'll aim for at least 500m cumulatively per session.

Wanderlust — is that your weekly load? Also, what is a repeat? (i.e. is there a specific rest between runs?)

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Yeah that's my average week. I use a 800m track, so for an 800m repeat I sprint one lap, then recover one lap and repeat. 400m repeat would be sprint 400m recover 400m and repeat.

EvRev has a nice sprint plan, 50-100mm sprints are good. Do them uphill for extra fun.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    My typical weekly running:

-8 Sprints(~15 seconds, all-out, uphill)
    -Either 6-8 400m intervals or 3-4 800m intervals(on a separate day)
    -Some weeks I'll throw in a moderately-paced 5k or so as well.

The goal behind the above is increasing my speed at distances of 1 mile or less, and doing decently at the 5k distance.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i do 10-12 sprints that are 100-120 yards on flat grass (soccer field) with maybe a minute or two between dashes. i'll shorten the distance a bit if i'm on hills.
    that's once per week, with a few other sprints thrown in when i get the chance (usually while out walking the dog).

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i sprint 75 yards. no more than 10 times. and no more than once a week. occasionally i will go to a local soccer field and do 120 yard sprints, but only 5-6 of those once i'm warmed up.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I sprint for 15-20 full breaths in and out. However far that gets me. By then I'm slowing down. Last time I did it 8 times. Made it about 2/3 of the rounded edge of the baseball field, however far that is.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast