Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Blue Light Emitting Sources? page

Benpercent is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Non-Blue Light Emitting Sources?

Shop Now
    I'm quite keen on cutting blue light out of my evenings when the situation allows, but I've been having trouble. My primary pre-bedtime habit is reading by candlelight, and I have a terrible qualm with it.

I use some tea lights I got from my local perfumery, which are, unfortunately, unreliable. When you first light them the flame is so dim I have to light lots and lots, as the flame doesn't really get illuminating until the wick has burned a few minutes, melted the wax slightly, and had the wax harden again.

I sleep on the floor atop a sleeping bag -- in it, in winter; I'm in Texas -- and place some on both sides of me to ensure total lighting. In the best of times I only need two, but when the candles aren't burning in my favor I can use up to six at once, and they go fast.

I have plenty to keep me going for now, but once I run out I want a better, more reliable alternative. Are there, perhaps, flame sources out there better suited to light up the place, or perhaps a non-blue light emitting electronic.

I do have and have used orange-tinted glasses, but I don't like that the light can still seep in around the borders and the way my color perception is so drastically changed. I also have F.lux on my computer, but that's largely irrelevant.

Thoughts?

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    I love oil lamps, especially the ones that are adjustable and have chimneys. They do burn liquid paraffin (i.e. a form of kerosene), so they emit some toxins (carbon monoxide). But, then, so do paraffin candles (which most candles are unless they state they are beeswax or soy, etc.). Oil lamps do tend to burn clean, especially if you don't have the wick up so high it smokes, and if you're using ulta-pure lamp oil. And, they do a great job of emitting light. You just have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself...

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Benpercent is offline Junior Member
    Thanks all. Interesting advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    I love oil lamps, especially the ones that are adjustable and have chimneys. They do burn liquid paraffin (i.e. a form of kerosene), so they emit some toxins (carbon monoxide). But, then, so do paraffin candles (which most candles are unless they state they are beeswax or soy, etc.). Oil lamps do tend to burn clean, especially if you don't have the wick up so high it smokes, and if you're using ulta-pure lamp oil. And, they do a great job of emitting light. You just have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself...
    Sounds good, but only partially. I sleep on the floor, which is carpeted, so that sounds awfully dangerous unless I were to take some steps to fireproof the area, which I might be able to if I expend some thought. I may not get it for my bedtime reading, but it sounds practical for putting on my stand-up desk for nighttime studying/writing. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I'm aware of that site. I did buy some orange safety glasses from another safety company after learning about them here, but most everything here seems too much of a rip-off.

What I really wonder if, aside from the oil lamps mentioned above, there's a candle with a special type of wick out there that will burn more brightly due to its construction. After all, old timers of the past once had to write by candle-light, no? Perhaps since the candle industry was much bigger back then they had developed a more practical way for them to be made for lighting? Our current society doesn't value candles for their lighting purposes much anymore, which could have change their construction due to the change in purpose. My tea lights, for instance, are more meant for mood lighting and scent distribution, not illumination.

For now I'll consider saving up for an oil lamp and continue on investigating.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    The low-energy bulbs give off predominantly blue light hence I am against them.

I use very low lighting during the evening and am a fan of candlelight.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Oil lamps can be pretty inexpensive. Fred Myer and some home improvement stores sell them for (if I recall correctly), about $15-30, and the oil is about $8. As long as you don't knock them over, they won't be dangerous...

Amazon also has oil lamps. I have quite a few from Lamplight Farms, and they work very well and are very affordable. They're the same ones you can find at Fred Myer and home improvement stores. I like--and own--this model with the loop to put your finger through to carry it securely:
    Amazon.com: Lamplight 110 Chamber Lamp: Home & Kitchen

Here's 32 oz of lamp oil--it will last many good hours (about 60 hours):Amazon.com: LAMPLIGHT FARMS 6045 "ULTRA-PURE" LAMP OIL 32OZ-CLEAR: Home Improvement They also carry it in the 64 oz size: Amazon.com: Lamplight Farms "Ultra-pure" Lamp Oil 64 oz Clear: Home & Kitchen

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by Aldergirl; 06-21-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: To add more details...

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    please forgive my ignorance, but what is the reasoning behind this? is it medical or other?

I have heard before that blue light in the evening can wake you up and make you more lively

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Ohh... I f.lux 'ed my lappy last night... and felt more tired than usual!
    Not enough to combat the fact that I had already been staring at blue light until 2 am... but there was a noticeable difference in how my eyes felt.

I don't really keep house lights on.
    My reef lights go off at 9pm (timer settings) and are very blue... it's a requirement!
    And most nights I don't have the TV on.

I think having my laptop go yellow is going to help me overcome some of my insomnia.
    But I'm not holding my breath... I've been a night owl as far back as I can remember.
    Even when all we had was yellow incandescent bulbs and candles for low light reading in my room I'd still not feel like sleeping until the wee hours of morning many, many, nights.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    The low-energy bulbs give off predominantly blue light hence I am against them.

I use very low lighting during the evening and am a fan of candlelight.
    There are 12v LED lights out there that emit little blue light. Some are even dimmable. Initially expensive but they have a long life
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast