Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attempting primal pregnancy page

primalmontana is offline Senior Member

Attempting primal pregnancy

Shop Now
    Sooo, after 2 years of trying and 5 months of fertility treatment, it finally happened!!! Technically speaking, I am 4 weeks, found out on fathers day i have been mostly primal since March (cut out gluten in nov.). I really want to continue primal throughout my pregnancy.

Before now, I have been keeping carbs around 50g. The hormone therapy has really wrecked hovoc on my weight. I was trying to lose, or atleast keep from gaining, but I think I put on a few instead (haven't weighed in a few months b/c it's depressing!) So, I want to increase carbs around 150g mainly through full-fat dairy and root veg. I have been avoiding. I'm quite excited to have a sweet potato actually!

I also think I need to rein in my exercise a bit as well. I'm a fitness instructor and teach 12 classes a week. Some, I don't have to participate in but many I do. It is difficult for me to hold back, but feel I need to. There is a fear of miscarriage (not confirmed by a doctor) b/c of the trouble of conceiving to begin with. I really don't want to exhasberate any chances by pushing too hard.

I am a chronic food tracker so this journal will be filled with that. I am so open to any advice out there! I gained 26lbs. W/ my first pregnancy and would LOVE to keep it at that for this one!

PrimalJes is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on your pregnancy! I just found out I am pregnant again, too! We found out on Saturday (the day before you), and I'm about 4w3d along, now! Maybe we can be primal pregnancy buddies?

Do you think becoming primal helped you to finally get pregnant again?
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

SW: 212.4 lbs. February 14, 2013 (My second baby was born)
    CW:166.4 lbs.
    GW: 143 lbs.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

I actually do think going primal helped me get pregnant. That was one of the main reasons I went primal to begin with. Normal hormonal function depends on healthy amounts of fats in the body. Before primal, I was a complete fataphobe! No wonder I only had like 6 periods a year. My hormone levels were still not where they needed to be to be able to conceive but I think primal helped the process.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations, and keep us posted!

PrimalJes is offline Senior Member
    That's good to hear, primalMontana. I sent the MDA link to my cousin. Him and his wife have one child, but have suffered 3 miscarriages in the last 10 months I thought, "Heck, I should just send this along. It couldn't hurt!" Hopefully, it does help them like it helped you
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

SW: 212.4 lbs. February 14, 2013 (My second baby was born)
    CW:166.4 lbs.
    GW: 143 lbs.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Congrats and mucho good luck.

majicmaid is offline Junior Member
    I had a successful primal pregnancy. I attempted to stay around 100g to keep the dr happy but much of the time I ate much less and had a healthy 8lb12oz baby boy last Aug. Check out my blog. Allisonprimalpregnancy.blogspot.com

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Allison!

5 weeks in! I'm starting to tell more people b/c I just can't keep quiet about it. Planing in telling my parents this weekend when we go camping. We still havnt told out daughter, I'm still afraid that something may happen and that would be hard to explain to a 3-year-old.

I'm already beginning to show! Although, my husband and I are probably the only ones that notice. I usually have a pretty flat belly so I'm sure some of my members in my fitness classes will begin to notice something soon. I'm feeling pretty good, actually feeling less pregnant than I was last week. I was so bloated, crampy and crabby! Those symptoms have pretty much passed. Energy levels are back up a bit too, although I still take naps almost daily. I have had no morning sickness yet, although I seem to remember that didn't really hit me last time until the 2nd and 3rd months so I'm Linda just waiting for it to happen.

I've given myself a little too much leaniancy with non-primal foods lately, mostly sweets and tortilla chips. I really want to get myself back on track. My baby(or babies!) deserve the best nutrition possible and non of the added sugar! I have been encourporating more fruit. Fruit is not really a trigger for me to eat more sugar so I'm comfortable with adding it in. I'm loving bananas lately!

Question: does/did anyone else get crazy muscle cramps when pregnant? Out of nowhere the other day my calf cramped up, it lasted 3 days! I started drinking coconut water and eating bananas. I just thought it was odd.

Also, I'm not as regular as I usually am, what to do about constipation?

Jen AlcesAlces is online now Senior Member
    Congrats, primalmontana! The name of your journal caught my eye - and I wish you all the best with your primal pregnancy. I'm due next week, and although I haven't been strictly primal, I believe that staying mostly primal has something to do with the fact that I still have quite a bit of energy at 39 weeks.

And prunes. I love prunes now. If you can find the preservative & chemical free prunes (I get sunsweet d'noir prunes), just a few a day really helped me... and I didn't have to resort to fiber supplements etc. If you have no trouble with fruit sugars, that might be a good option for you.

I think it's great that a few of you have all gotten pregnant around the same time... what an awesome support network! Take care
    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast