Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal shoe advice page

Andrew is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I have been buying expensive running shoes with expensive inserts to help out my very low arches. I want to break out of that and go with something else. I really shouldn't run barefoot where I live and Vibrams are currently too expensive for me right now. Does anyone have any experience in running in just some cheap sneakers? With low arches would that be a good idea? Or should I just stick to my expensive running shoes until I can barefoot it or buy a pair of vibrams.

thanks

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I just stuck with my old shoes until I could save up Vibrams. I'm totally going to live in these things. I'm never going back to shoes again.

bruce.b is offline Member

I often run and hike in cheap Chuck Taylor clones. Mine are pretty worn and the sole is really thin and flexible. No heel, flat bottom. Don't know about the arches.

I just switched over to my VFF's and will be mostly wearing them until it gets cold again in late fall. When it's cold and wet they don't work for me.

bruce b.

PrimalChat is offline Junior Member

Andrew - until you can afford the Vibrams or other minimalist shoes, don't worry about the shoes and start practicing the form. Practice the POSE form or CHI running form where you land mid foot or on the balls of your feet. Not only will this help you get ahead of the game when you get the VFF's, it will also help with your low arches......because when you run this way you don't over pronate.

No heel to toe - just midfoot or ball. Use that as a mantra and start saving.

Resolve to Evolve

Jeff

Twitter: @jpickett1968

At present I run in a 9 pair of plimsolls and will get some VFFs as soon as I find a place that actually has some in stock. The plimsolls work pretty dam well, but dont allow my toes to spread as much as they should.

Squatchy Guest

I love my VFF's, and think they were worth the money.

For a really cheap alternative check this out

http://www.invisibleshoe.com/how-to-make-huaraches/

BayouPrimal is offline Member

For casual use, what about Crocs? They're cushioned, but have very little support.

My wife and I have our own humble food blog. Not 100% primal, but we try to keep it interesting.
    www.fatandflour.com

I'm going to bite the bullet and order some - kso's or sprints best for running?

(i'm in the UK if that makes any difference - weather and whatnot)

Reepicheep Guest

I'd go for KSOs, in the UK (I'm currently living in France and spent some time in the UK last January). You guys get some crappy weather; I'd want a bit of extra protection.

You may want to consider toe-socks socks, too (in which case you will have to think more about which size you order).

Of course, I wear mine around all the time, even to school, so this may be different if you only plan to run in them for a few minutes.

Geoff is offline Member

If you're talking about moving from a traditional running shoe to a minimalist shoe, the first thing I would recommend is that you don't rush it. It took me 10 years to move from the heaviest motion control running shoe New Balance made to running in VFF. You probably won't need to take that long because there are better options now, but take it gradually.

Consider exploring cross country or track racing flats as an possible inexpensive option. Many online retailers (Eastbay, Roadrunner) will sell clearance models for as low as $20 per pair. They are light and low with no real cushioning and generally have more flexible than a traditional road running shoe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast