Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need extra fat if I am already fat?

Hybrid View

Do I need extra fat if I am already fat?

I am still according to my BMI (33.74) obese. I am wondering if for my diet I really need to incorporate extra fat into my diet or is my own fat enough provided I am consuming the requisite Protein and Nutrition part.

Should I add coconut oil, animal skin, or anything else, or can I cut out all the extra animal fat and maintain the protein and nutrition?

Best analogy I know~ if you want to start a fire, you need some kindling~ you can't just throw a match on a log. Get yourself some MCT (medium chain triglycerides) like coconut oil and get that fire going!

Short answer, yes, you need to get into fat burning mode and MCT will get you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Best analogy I know~ if you want to start a fire, you need some kindling~ you can't just throw a match on a log. Get yourself some MCT (medium chain triglycerides) like coconut oil and get that fire going!

Short answer, yes, you need to get into fat burning mode and MCT will get you there.
    This.

Also, BMI is a crock of shit, so don't bother with that.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    This.

Also, BMI is a crock of shit, so don't bother with that.
    For most people BMI is a good indicator of where they are health wise. Obviously there are super athletes that are super muscular and are "obese" according to the BMI scale and there are skinny fat people that are "normal" on the BMI but have a large body fat percentage, but these people are few and far between. For most people, the BMI is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    For most people BMI is a good indicator of where they are health wise. Obviously there are super athletes that are super muscular and are "obese" according to the BMI scale and there are skinny fat people that are "normal" on the BMI but have a large body fat percentage, but these people are few and far between. For most people, the BMI is just fine.
    I disagree. I am hardly a super-athlete, but despite having a healthy build, I am considered well into obese on BMI(~225@5'10"). My BF is fairly low(visible abs), but I'm not really hugely muscular(I don't lift for hypertrohpy)- I just have a big frame. My father is much the same way, though he carries a bit more fat. Both of us are among the healthiest people you will ever meet. On the other hand, I see skinny-fats everywhere- many Americans have virtually no muscle, so if they have a small frame, they can be carrying a whole bunch of fat without being out of the normal catagory for BMI.

Also, remember that the lowest risk catagory of BMI is "overweight"(probably where I am, adjusting for frame):Excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, ... [JAMA. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I disagree. I am hardly a super-athlete, but despite having a healthy build, I am considered well into obese on BMI(~225@5'10"). My BF is fairly low(visible abs), but I'm not really hugely muscular(I don't lift for hypertrohpy)- I just have a big frame. My father is much the same way, though he carries a bit more fat. Both of us are among the healthiest people you will ever meet. On the other hand, I see skinny-fats everywhere- many Americans have virtually no muscle, so if they have a small frame, they can be carrying a whole bunch of fat without being out of the normal catagory for BMI.

Also, remember that the lowest risk catagory of BMI is "overweight"(probably where I am, adjusting for frame):Excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, ... [JAMA. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI
    I totally agree with you and think what jimhensen posted about BMI is one of the most stupid things I've been able to read on this forum. Most teenagers and young adults you meet in the street will have a fairly normal BMI. However most of them will eat in a very unhealthy way, will have a body fat percentage that will be on the higher side...Etc
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

I don't think we need to treat fat as a supplement to be dosed. Eat as much of it as you want - cook your veggies in butter, eat the skin on your chicken, and put a little cream in your coffee because it tastes good and even a small amount helps keep you full and satisfied. But I don't think it's necessary to eat fat for fat's sake.

On the other hand, I also think that "cutting out all the extra animal fat" has the potential to make you feel deprived and unsatisfied, which can cause any "diet" to fail.

You don't need "extra", you just need as much as makes you feel full and satisfied. Cutting out snacks and going a little longer between meals will encourage your body to burn more of its own fuel (fat).

Beyond fat burning, there are the positive hormonal benefits of a diet rich in monounsaturated and saturated fats. One of the biggest is the fact that consumption of monounsaturated fats and saturated fats increase testosterone levels. As you know, testosterone is what creates the anabolic state that builds and/or maintains muscle, this is crucial to helping the body burn fat.

you need fuel from somwhere - not just protein and stored bodyfat, or you'll feel like shit. that's not the way to go.

you can fuel with clean, primal carbs, or fat. you may find it easier to go with fat, at least at first.

most find that protein and fats are the most sating, especially at first. eat reasonable amounts of both and the rest should follow.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway