Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do I need extra fat if I am already fat? page 3

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    For most people BMI is a good indicator of where they are health wise. Obviously there are super athletes that are super muscular and are "obese" according to the BMI scale and there are skinny fat people that are "normal" on the BMI but have a large body fat percentage, but these people are few and far between. For most people, the BMI is just fine.
    I disagree. I am hardly a super-athlete, but despite having a healthy build, I am considered well into obese on BMI(~225@5'10"). My BF is fairly low(visible abs), but I'm not really hugely muscular(I don't lift for hypertrohpy)- I just have a big frame. My father is much the same way, though he carries a bit more fat. Both of us are among the healthiest people you will ever meet. On the other hand, I see skinny-fats everywhere- many Americans have virtually no muscle, so if they have a small frame, they can be carrying a whole bunch of fat without being out of the normal catagory for BMI.

Also, remember that the lowest risk catagory of BMI is "overweight"(probably where I am, adjusting for frame):Excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, ... [JAMA. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I disagree. I am hardly a super-athlete, but despite having a healthy build, I am considered well into obese on BMI(~225@5'10"). My BF is fairly low(visible abs), but I'm not really hugely muscular(I don't lift for hypertrohpy)- I just have a big frame. My father is much the same way, though he carries a bit more fat. Both of us are among the healthiest people you will ever meet. On the other hand, I see skinny-fats everywhere- many Americans have virtually no muscle, so if they have a small frame, they can be carrying a whole bunch of fat without being out of the normal catagory for BMI.

Also, remember that the lowest risk catagory of BMI is "overweight"(probably where I am, adjusting for frame):Excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, ... [JAMA. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI
    I totally agree with you and think what jimhensen posted about BMI is one of the most stupid things I've been able to read on this forum. Most teenagers and young adults you meet in the street will have a fairly normal BMI. However most of them will eat in a very unhealthy way, will have a body fat percentage that will be on the higher side...Etc
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    My own experience was, fat loss didn't quite kick off until I upped my fat intake significantly.

I just can't eat much when fat is a big percentage of my diet, and it keeps me so full that I can only eat once a day.

Now if I need to really lean out for summer or something, it's pretty easy. I just eat less protein and more fat, which ends up to be less calories overall and feeling full all the time. Fat is pretty yummy too.

Doesn't get easier than that.
    This is interesting because my experience is the exact opposite. For me fat loss didn't happen until I dialed back the fat intake and upped the lean protein.

For me, overeating on fat is the easiest thing in the world. I could eats sticks of butter and still want more with butter on top. But if I have a nice lean cut of beef like flank steak that I have to chew, I feel like I have really eaten something and am satisfied with far fewer calories.

Not saying you are wrong. Just that we are different.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    And another experience, here! I went very high-fat to get my system convinced it was safe to use it for fuel. It worked! I lost about ten pounds, nice and slowly. Months later, I reduced the fat and increased the protein, and have continued to reshape my body. Now that I've had it, I know what it feels like to be satisfied - and for me, that's protein. And a lot of it. Very often 1000 calories of protein a day. Fat is next, by caloric density, and then greens and sweet potatoes, avocados, eggs and the rest.

But, yes, I lost weight and gained muscle when I dialed back the fat and increased protein.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

solly12 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    According to me, no you don't need to add extra fat. You only need to follow a proper diet plan and also do a regular exercise in case you are obese. Try to cut down on your carbs as well as fats intake. Drink lots of water as suggested by many dieticians.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123