Thread: Weight training help for my girlfriend with Crohn's on a deficit? page

Colibri is offline Junior Member

Weight training help for my girlfriend with Crohn's on a deficit?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, as you know if you saw my last thread, I was looking into starting something new fitness wise. I have found a gym locally, and it's a good price at the moment and I am hopefully gonna be doing Starting Strength.

My girlfriend wants to join the gym too and we're probably gonna start the weight training together.

She has a few problems though, and I hope you guys can help

• She has Crohn's Disease, so her appetite is reduced. She can't stomach too much food, so I'm worrying about her strength gains while on a deficit. She is currently trying to lose BF% so muscle gains are not on the agenda right now. I just hope she won't burn out or anything with the deficit?
    • She would like to get slimmer (primal included) and look better so is interested in weight training. The only thing is, she does Zumba 1-2x a week too and she would also like to try out the treadmill, rowing machine etc. after her routine is done each day. Will this have a big effect on the Starting Strength program? Rippetoe talks about sticking to the program to the letter.

Can anyone give any advice for her? We're both primal, so the diet is dialled in. She's 5ft 5in and 196lbs.

Thank you!
    "Strong, healthy, happy and free. Our default state, if we trust and respect nature." - Erwan Le Corre

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Strength training will signal her body to preserve lean mass (since she is using it) while burning fat. Plodding along on a treadmill or zumba won't do that, and as she is eating at a deficit is likely detrimental to her goals.

Colibri is offline Junior Member
    Yeah that's true. I might get her to try sandbags
    "Strong, healthy, happy and free. Our default state, if we trust and respect nature." - Erwan Le Corre

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Whatever she does aim for high quality and low volume work at first. Some lifting and the occasional sprint session would be infinitely better than high volume, 45-60 minute sessions.