Thread: New here. Where's the beef?! page

JohnOTD is offline Member

Shop Now

I've just started to 'get primal'. I've cut out grains and sugar, cut back on dairy, started doing more low intensity exercise, built a couple slosh tubes and will be filling up some sandbags in the near future.

I live in a great place for primal exercise; St. Croix, USVI. We have the ocean for diving, snorkeling, kayaking or just plain swimming. Of course the beaches come with the ocean, great for walks, jogs or sprints. We even have a rain forest for crying out loud.

What I'm having trouble with is locating 'organic' and grass-fed meats. I've talked to a few farms around here but they didn't really give me any information on how they fed their animals. I guess it's just a question they've never been asked, or maybe I didn't phrase my questions right. Who knows.

So, I'm looking into buying grass fed meats online. Anyone know any credible/reliable sources?

With beef, I know what we're looking for is grass-fed/finished. I would assume it's the same for goats (which we have a lot of here) and lamb. But what about chicken (another thing we have a lot of, I'm tempted to grab them off the streets and eat them so the damn roosters will stop crowing in the middle of the night)and pork?

Thanks in advance for the help!

www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

So far I've found two sites that seem credible:

wildmountain.ca (someone else posted this recently)

texasgrassfedbeef.com

Anyone have any experience with either of these?

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

Hey guys, still looking for some help here. Thanks

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

eatwild.com

"No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Acmebike is offline Member

I buy from both "US Wellness Meats" and Slanker's (texasgrassfedbeef.com). Both are fine, reputable and reasonably priced. You won't go wrong with either, but I can't attest to their ability to ship to USVI...... get in touch with them!

I'd suggest getting some tallow from either. You can use it (perfect fatty acid profiles, no contaminants) myriad ways. For instance, when stuck with sub-optimal grain fed meat, buy it as lean as possible to reduce poor fat profile, but add in and/or cook with the grassfed tallow from previous mentioned providers. You can make pemmican with the tallow as well!

Tallow from such a source is likely the healthiest fat source you are going to find, and a bulk purchase is worth every penny.