Thread: butter oil, vitamin k and d? page

noodletoy is offline Senior Member

butter oil, vitamin k and d?

Primal Fuel
    living in new england and working indoors, i don't get much sunlight. even though i have been taking supplements for 3 months, my vitamin d levels are still pretty low. am working on increasing it through my diet but still feel i need more. as a 47-year-old female, am having quite a few hormonal issues, and i believe that getting my d levels to a healthier zone will help with that as well.

many places recommend cod liver, or krill oil, in conjunction with butter oil, but i seem to get plenty of vitamin a through diet.

am not a pill popper. all i take right now is magnesium and the d.

thoughts? a little help?

thanks.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    How much have you been supplementing and how much did your levels change?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

have been taking 5000 mg a day since march. hadn't had them checked before adding them, but they are only at 41 now, out of a range of 33-100.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

mg? D is usually calculated by IU. Take 10,000 IU for 2 months and re-test. I would say 41 isn't bad for the time range your specifying, seeing as it's only just getting sunny and hot around here.

But my n=1 isn't complete yet. My levels have been below 33 for as long as I've ever had them tested (the past 4+ years) and been aware of them. I started supplementing with 10,000 IU last Winter, down to 6,000 IU now. I get re-tested on Monday and should know shortly after what kind of improvement I've made.

The major benefit of taking D in the form of some kind of fat or oil is that D is fat soluble. You should be taking it with fatty foods or in the form of fatty foods for optimal absorption.

yes, sorry. iu. usually take it around breakfast, which is generally pretty high-fat.

how do you take yours?

Ernest Hemingway

I take mine in drop form with breakfast (also usually highest fat meal of the day). From what I've read around here and other places online, it's best to start pretty high (10,000 IU daily) for a month or two, especially when you're starting with a very low count. I'll let you know what I find out in terms of my results. I've been eating Primal for almost a year now (maybe 70% at first, but probably 95% for the past 6 months) and I think healing my gut will have made a big change in how my body absorbs the vitamin D as well.

15-30 min of sun exposure every day (when the sun is highest) is usually enough to maintain D levels, so if you can get outside for a little while (take a walk during lunch), that would probably help on top of supplementing, until you get to a better summer-time level anyway.

I'm close to Boston too

just ordered the drops and the butter oil too. jeebus, that butter oil is spendy.

yeah, with the longer days and more intense sun i'll get more outside time. not today though. it's 100 already.
    please keep me posted. i really love hearing about people healing themselves with this woe.

am glad you're feeling better. after ditching grains almost 3 years ago, my most magic ingredient has been the bone broth i added about 6 months ago. it has been a marked improvement in my overall health.

Ernest Hemingway

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay I got my results back. Last July, I was around 23 ng/dL (not sure if that's the proper measurement), which is very low! I started supplementing last Fall at 10,000 IU for at least 3 months, then down to 8,000 IU for a couple of months, now 6,000 IU. My level is up to 59. 70 is apparently a good level to have for the summer months, so I am going to keep supplementing for the rest of the year, but keep reducing. I'll probably re-test mid-winter to make sure it's still over 40.

I recommend getting it in dropper form, and taking it in the morning to avoid any issues with it keeping you awake. Depending on the dose per drop, you may only need 5-10 drops to get your full 10,000 IU. Mix into water, drink water, voila!