Thread: Ketosis Meter Being Developed page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Ketosis Meter Being Developed

Primal Fuel
    I recall someone here mentioning that the programmer Steve Gibson -- the guy who wrote the Spinrite utility -- had gone low-carb.

Anyway, I took a look at his site, and he now says on his newsgroups that he's working on hardware/software to make a "ketosis breathalyzer".

The ketostik, of course, show how much acetoacetate is in urine, but that disappears from urine over a few weeks as the muscles get used to taking it up and using it for fuel. So Gibson has decided to look for acetone instead.

GRC News Server Temporary Gateway (read only) - KetoFlute Project

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i don't get why anyone who's not battling seizures is so fixated on the number of ketones in their blood stream.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i don't get why anyone who's not battling seizures is so fixated on the number of ketones in their blood stream.
    If you had taken the time to actually visit the man's site to inform yourself before commenting -- pigs might fly -- you would have observed that he has over thirty different newsgroups for the different areas he's interested in. So he can hardly be described as being "fixated" on health, let alone one aspect of it.

As for why he wants the meter, you'll have to listen to his podcasts on the matter, if you're curious as to his motives.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    bite me.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Haven't you heard? Ketosis is the new black.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    That is interesting link, thanks. Will be interested to see how he goes.

MN_John is offline Junior Member
    If you're trying to loose weight quickly Ketosis is the way to go. Mark's book mentions a few times that dropping below 50 grams of carbs for a few weeks will put you in ketosis and allow you to burn fat quickly. This way people will know not only when they're in ketosis, but by how much, allowing them to optimize the amount of carbs they consume. If it was under $75 I would buy one.