Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: A Primal Pregnancy! page 8

Liquid Gusto is offline Senior Member
    I just wanted to say I've loved reading your journal! I like how you are strict, but not to the point that you can't enjoy some sugary treats every now and then. I'd be curious to hear about the type of diets your hubby and son eat.

PrimalJes is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Liquid Gusto. Love the name! I would consider myself 90% Primal, my husband is probably 80% Primal (He goes through fazes of strict to very relaxed. He has no weight to lose, but is trying to gain some muscle. He is 6' tall and 165/170 lbs), and my son is probably 50% Primal. We absolutely try to stay away from wheat 100%, but my son will have a cupcake or pretzels at a party and that's fine. I know it's not good for him, but neither is being "that" kid (he already cannot have very much dairy, or he'll get sick). How long have you been Primal, Liquid Gusto?

165.2 lbs. today. I haven't been losing much weight, but the inches are melting away! I've heard/read that weight loss can inch like this. Is this true?

Measurements:
    Arm: 11-1/4"
    Chest: 37-1/2"
    Waist: 27-1/2"
    Hips: 37"
    Thigh: 21-3/4"
    Calf: 14"

I have to look back to see the overall loss. 4 weeks ago, I was 39-29-39. I think my thighs were 23ish" and my arms were 12". I also weighed 172.2 lbs.

4 weeks loss:

7 lbs
    Arm-3/4"
    Chest-1-1/2"
    Waist-1-1/2"
    Hips-2"
    Thigh-1-1/4"
    Calf-?

Not bad for four weeks!

I am thrilled with the loss! My skinny jeans felt looser last night. That was a great feeling! I haven't been to the actual gym in 2 weeks, but have been trying to do some strength exercises at home (pull-ups/hanging, planks, and squats).

Mom weighed in today. It's the beginning of her 7th day and she lost 5 lbs. woo hoo! Hopefully, she still wants to keep going. She was happy, but not too excited as this is weight she had just recently lost and then gained back over the last few weeks. She was counting calories and then periodically binging for weeks. I totally get that because I used to do the same thing. Calorie counting with low fat foods is a disaster. You are just hungry all. the. time. With Paleo/Primal and carb counting, if I'm still hungry after I've eaten all my carbs for the day, I know I can still have some eggs or something so that I'm not hungry. I'm never really *that* hungry. I could probably push myself a few minutes past "a little hungry" before I start eating. I will practice that! (Actually, realizing that I've forgotten to eat breakfast. Not bad.) Anyway, Mom is doing great! I can't wait to see her in another week!

47 lbs. and a million inches lost so far. Only 20.2 lbs. more to go to goal weight!
    Last edited by PrimalJes; 12-17-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

SW: 212.4 lbs. February 14, 2013 (My second baby was born)
    CW:166.4 lbs.
    GW: 143 lbs.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

164.4 lbs. this morning. Just one lb. away from my pre-pregnancy weight. Woo hoo! Then, I will have 15-1/2 lbs. to go until my pre-first baby pregnancy weight. I can and will do this! It has not been hard at all. Actually, it's the easiest thing I've ever done. I really look forward to getting to my goal weight!

I know I focus on the weight a lot. I know weight is only a piece of overall health. I am very happy that I am getting healthier. That is priority #1. My nails are finally to the point that they are too hard to bite. That is amazing! That is a sign of health right there. The bumps on my arms keep getting better and better, too. My skin color is radiant, as well. I feel so healthy!

Sometimes I get down on myself for not being super-mom. I understand on an intellectual level that it is impossible to be everything...but seeing moms on FB and other sites with the gingerbread houses, and the elf on the shelf, and the hand-made clothes, cloth diapers, etc, etc. What I need to do is focus on what I DO give my kids....

I give them:
    -a Mom who is home with them and available to them every waking (and non-waking) minute of every day (this job is not for the weak).
    -the best foods we can possibly afford, including grass-fed meats, organic fruits and veggies, and tons of coconut milk.
    -home-cooked meals every day.
    -a beautiful, clean-ish home with plenty of toys and books in a relatively safe neighborhood.
    -a preschool with excellent teachers that my son loves to go to (5 hrs a week).
    -the ability to see both sets of their Grandparents, Aunts, and Uncles as often as we can.
    -a mom who loves to make up songs about them, goof around with them, snuggle with them, and ask them about their days.
    -a mom who *tries* to always hear their sides of the story and work with them until compromise is made.
    -a mom who gives second (and even third) chances because everyone deserves that.
    -a dad who couldn't be more loving and caring about his children.
    -a dad who works hard every day to give us the best he can.
    -a nice car.
    -trips to the Zoo, museums, aquarium, many, many parks, soccer lessons, T-ball lessons, nice vacations, weekends away, trips to the coffee shop for cookies, arranging play-dates, visits to playgroup, many, many birthday parties (including my son's)
    -an ipad with all of my son's favorite movies and games
    -very nice clothes (hand-me-downs, but very nice never-the-less)

So, yeah. These children have it good...even if I didn't get to make the cute Christmas cards, and the gingerbread houses...even if I use disposable diapers, and I don't read to them as much as I should...even if I lose my cool more often than I'd like...even if...I'm NOT super-mom...These kids have it good. They have good lives and they are very, very loved and well-cared for. I have to keep that in mind when I am feeling down about not making it to the Santa train this year
    Last edited by PrimalJes; 12-18-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

canio6 Guest
    Woot Woot! Dang lady, you are kicking some butt over here.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJes View Post
    Thanks, Liquid Gusto. Love the name! I would consider myself 90% Primal, my husband is probably 80% Primal (He goes through fazes of strict to very relaxed. He has no weight to lose, but is trying to gain some muscle. He is 6' tall and 165/170 lbs), and my son is probably 50% Primal. We absolutely try to stay away from wheat 100%, but my son will have a cupcake or pretzels at a party and that's fine. I know it's not good for him, but neither is being "that" kid (he already cannot have very much dairy, or he'll get sick). How long have you been Primal, Liquid Gusto?
    I'm not gonna lie, I thought long and hard about my screen name. so thanks! I think that's a good attitude to have about your kid. I think parents who force too strict of a diet on their kids are making a mistake because the kids don't learn how to control themselves with food. They just go crazy like the teenager at college whose parents never let them go out.

I've been eating primal-like for over a year, but true primal for a 3-4 months. I have celiac, figured out 2 years ago I can't have soy, dairy, or egg, then over time, naturally figured out I feel best without refined flours and starches (rice/tapioca/corn etc.). Then, I realized this is actually a way of eating many people follow when I came across MDA. So I read up and I fine tuned it. My goals are to help with some health issues I have and my stomach used to bloat to the point my Mom thought I was pregnant at times. No more

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJes View Post
    Mom weighed in today. It's the beginning of her 7th day and she lost 5 lbs. woo hoo! Hopefully, she still wants to keep going.
    Yay!! Good work!! I hope she keeps at it.

Way to go on your weight loss and focusing on your strengths rather than your weaknesses!

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Woot Woot! Dang lady, you are kicking some butt over here.
    Thanks, Canio! It is a little crazy how quickly this weight is falling off! It's like I just needed to focus a little and everything seems to be falling into place. Thanks for the positive vibes, Man
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Gusto View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I thought long and hard about my screen name. so thanks! I think that's a good attitude to have about your kid. I think parents who force too strict of a diet on their kids are making a mistake because the kids don't learn how to control themselves with food. They just go crazy like the teenager at college whose parents never let them go out.

I've been eating primal-like for over a year, but true primal for a 3-4 months. I have celiac, figured out 2 years ago I can't have soy, dairy, or egg, then over time, naturally figured out I feel best without refined flours and starches (rice/tapioca/corn etc.). Then, I realized this is actually a way of eating many people follow when I came across MDA. So I read up and I fine tuned it. My goals are to help with some health issues I have and my stomach used to bloat to the point my Mom thought I was pregnant at times. No more

Yay!! Good work!! I hope she keeps at it.
    Well, thanks. I definitely try to give my kid some room to make his own decisions about food. We talk a lot about food that helps him grow and food that doesn't help him grow. He knows the difference now. His favorite foods are chicken, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, applesauce, and dark chocolate...I feel like we're doing ok

Good for you for figuring out your body and what makes you feel good!! Many people just live with it...the pain, discomforts, aches, and ailments. Being open-minded has taken you to a good place! I would love to hear about the changes that have taken place since going primal!
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Ok...drum roll, please....I have hit my pre-pregnancy weight!!! Looks like upping my carbs for two days and then dropping them back down has worked wonders! 163.2 lbs. today! Actually, just slightly under pre-pregnancy weight. I'm so happy! Whenever I plateau, I will be upping my carbs!

First major goal has been hit! Next goal is to get into the 150s.

9 lbs. lost in just about 30 days. I can live with those kind of numbers!

I actually did Christmas cards. Wow. They will be sent tomorrow and may just be late. I'm okay with that. I think all presents have been bought. I just need to get our house in order before we are gone for over a week.

Good stuff! I graduated high school (14 years ago) and weighed 158 lbs. I guess that's my next goal
    Last edited by PrimalJes; 12-19-2013 at 09:56 AM.
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I did a hard workout with the weights yesterday and my weight is up to 165.2 or something like that. That's pretty normal for me to carry water-weight after a tough workout. When I worked out yesterday, it was the first time I had worked out in over 2 weeks (at the gym anyway). I was expecting to have to go down a little bit with the weights, but it was actually the opposite. I was stronger than I've ever been before. I went up in every different station. Pretty cool. I'm feeling strong and feeling "high" all day every day. What is this high? Good food, feeling more confident, getting to my goal weight, working out, feeling more social? Whatever it is, it is very welcome to stay!

I made a load of cashew four/coconut milk/dark chocolate cookies last night. They are supposed to be for Santa and our extended families, but I have indulged bunches. They are very filling though! They are probably about 5 carbs a piece. I've had 5-6 today and the same last night. I stayed around 100g of carbs yesterday and trying to do the same (150g max) while we are staying with family over the next 10 days or so. Maybe some days will be really low carb? That happens often as there are very few food options at my in-laws house, and it's not my kitchen, so I stick to pretty much meal-time and maybe one snack a day while I'm there. Just trying to get through the holidays without a gain. I will focus on loss again come January.

Positive things I've noticed:
    -Hard nails (feels like I will break a tooth if I bite them-I have been a life-long nail biter).
    -Keratosis Polaris is fading (redness is getting lighter, bumps/clogged pores are nearly gone. They occur on the tops of my arms and the front of my thighs)
    -Sex drive is UP. (I always wondered why I had such a low sex drive and now I know that it was diet because I'm feeling pretty "alive" lately). This is wonderful...except our baby is only 10 months old, and I would want to wait until she is almost 3 to have another one (If we do, indeed, want another one...I love babies, though).
    -Skin color in face is amazing. Pink cheeks, a nice glow.
    -My waist is looking tiny (37-27-36 right now and shrinking). I love this hourglass shape!
    -Energy is way up.

SIL is challenging my decision to cut out grains. I don't know why she cares so much. My thoughts are...a diet based on Whole Foods cannot be argued against, right?
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast