Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A Primal Pregnancy! page 6

justme is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Love your avatar photo!

Thanks for sharing that link, I will check it out later.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Just read your blog! It's good to see others who did the primal thing while both pregnant and breast feeding!

I have a 2 month old at home and was "mostly" primal during my pregnancy too. I found that breastfeeding was more difficult, as far as food intake, than pregnancy was. I try to keep my carbs up more than normal primal would have me do.

Congrats on your progress! I would love to hear more about your success story as it plays out!
    Starting weight: 230 lbs
    Current weight: 183.6 lbs
    Goal weight: ~145 lbs

Check out my journal here.

PrimalJes is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Justme! That's me and the newest addition. Picture was taken a few months ago

RampantSquirrel, thanks for reading! It's nice to have others to look to that are mommies to new little ones. It's hard to know what's ok during this time, as there isn't a heck of a lot of research published about it on the internet. In the beginning, I definitely did not want to count carbs and I would still do the same looking back. Now, I feel much more comfortable with it and I can finally let this weight go! I will check out your journal, too. I see you've lost quite a bit yourself!

Just wanted to check in this morning. Weight is the same (167.6 lbs), but my measurements are down:

Arms: 11-3/4"
    Chest: 38"
    Waist: 28"
    Hips: 38"
    Thigh: 22-1/2"
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

SW: 212.4 lbs. February 14, 2013 (My second baby was born)
    CW:167 lbs.
    GW: 143 lbs.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

I found that if I listened to my body for hunger cues while keeping on the mostly primal, or rather "natural" foods that I did just fine. I had sweet potatoes when I had a craving for sugar. I had a great snack of yogurt and fruit or nuts if I felt like munching. Don't get me wrong, I had some ice cream in there too but I didn't feel bad about it, it was just a choice I made. It helped to keep me sane while not trying to starve my body of the calories it needed to create life while pregnant and then sustain it with breastfeeding.

I managed to lose all my pregnancy weight in 6 weeks and keep my milk supply up. All by eating primal with natural carbs. I sort of followed the athlete regimen.
    Starting weight: 230 lbs
    Current weight: 183.6 lbs
    Goal weight: ~145 lbs

Check out my journal here.

That's awesome, RampantSquirrel! Sounds like you ate really well during your pregnancy and afterward. I was not-so-great during my pregnancy. Lots of white carbs in the beginning and then I ate on and off Primal throughout the rest of the pregnancy. She is an amazingly healthy little baby girl, though! I attribute that to the 3 months before I got pregnant being 90% primal.
    Glad to hear your supply didn't suffer, as well.

165.6 lbs. this morning! Woo hoo! Nearly 7 lbs. lost on the morning of day 17. That's just crazy to me! I stepped on the scale and was shocked a little bit. The weight is FALLING. OFF.

Yesterday, I ran into a mom that I know at a Whole Foods 45 minutes away from where I live (actually, I ran into 2 moms that I know out there-weird). This mom saw me and was like "woah, you look so different...your hair is shorter...and your face is so...uh, thin" There wasn't exactly a complement in there, but I said "oh, thanks, I've been working on it" The mom is a tad awkward anyway, so I was just glad that she noticed. I hadn't seen her for a few months.

Then I bought a dress at H&M. Size medium. Grey and black long-sleeve t-shirt style and figure-hugging. While I was in the dressing room, I took a couple pics because I was shocked at how good I looked (you never know how good you look, until you've gone to the other side...you know, the 212-1/2 lbs other side). I can't wait to dress up for a Christmas party next weekend...and wear the same dress on NYE to my cousin's house. She has been cheering me on this whole way

I just want to jot down some weird notes: I have a nice face and an hourglass figure. When I was larger and puffy and pregnant, you couldn't see any of that. For the last 19 months, I have met many people while I've been pregnant or still larger from being pregnant, and when they see me now, I think they are shocked at how pretty(?) I am. I know that sounds strange, but I am an attractive person. I'm also really outgoing. I can see that now, finally, at almost 32 years old. (I only know this because of the stark difference in which people stare at me (men and women) compared to when I was bigger and/or pregnant). When bigger or pregnant, I am nearly invisible). The coolest thing is to see people catch a view of me out of the corner of there eye and quickly do a "double-take" and stare. Weird to talk about, I know. I do think of myself as more of an intellectual-and as feminine as I look and sound, I fancy myself as more of a tom-boy of sorts. I don't know what my point is. Maybe there isn't one. It's good to feel attractive again-it's just another "power"...like getting the butcher at the super-market to see me first so I can get my bacon

Once I had a friend over the house while I was pregnant. She looked at a picture of me and my husband and asked, "Is that you?"...that's how different I looked. I laughed because it was obviously a couple-type picture of us at a wedding. The friend said, "Wow, you looked great" and then I felt kinda crappy because I heard "you kinda look like crap now...didn't realize you were actually attractive once"...She did NOT say that, that's just what I heard in my head. I can't wait to see her when I'm at my goal weight.

I feel SO excited about changing and getting fit and trim! I haven't been very social in the last couple of months because it's cold, I have 2 kids including an infant, and I just don't have the want to go out right now. In the Spring, I will want to go out, and I am excited to have people maybe not even recognize me I haven't been my "normal" weight (150 lbs) since before I had my son and I didn't know most of the people I know now at that time. Btw, "going out" means playgroup and the playground with other stay-at-home-moms and dads. haha. There are other social events that I've turned down like art shows and brunch with friends. I will do all that again once this baby is leave-able. I do leave her for about an hour 2x a week to go to the gym and she does fine. It's just a season

Can I ramble any more today? Naw. I'll save some for another day :P

What have you noticed since losing weight? Do people seem to react to you differently? Are you excited when people haven't seen you in a long time and they notice your weight-loss or how much more vibrant you are? I'd love to hear your stories!
    Last edited by PrimalJes; 12-08-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Congratz on your pregnancy, healthy baby and recent weightloss!

I've been primal/paleo-ish for about 2 years now (aside from lots of beer drinking, which kept me from losing ANY weight, ever haha, so dumb....lol) SO, here I am 9w1d pregnant, I've lost around 6lbs since finding out pregnant. Trying my hardest to eat well, but that darn m/s just makes some food sound horrid LOL!!!

Will also be a breastfeeding mama again, but it'll be my first time doing it primal. Happy to have read your thread
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Thanks, Earthy Mama! I'm glad you got something positive out of reading my thread! Keep in mind that if you are low carb and take the fasting glucose test that you will fail it! I did not know this, failed both tests, and was labeled diabetic during my pregnancy. I was not diabetic, my body was fat-adapted-not sugar burning. No one would listen to me either. Not fun! Let me know if you need any help with anything. I'd be happy to help you if I can! Congrats on your pregnancy! Btw, I hear you on the beer! I love it, but have switched to red wine while I'm losing weight. I hope your morning sickness passes quickly!
    Last edited by PrimalJes; 12-08-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

164.2 lbs. this morning. This is some crazy weight loss. I'm eating, I swear...but I'm also nearly-exclusively breastfeeding a 22-1/2 lb baby, so I'm guessing that's why the loss is so rapid? I've also heard that the first month of carb counting yields a big loss. In any event, I've now lost 8 solid lbs. in 18 days. 16 days before we visit the family for Christmas. Will I be in the 150s by then?! I'm ecstatic and floored by the weight loss. I've never lost weight this easily before. I also had a few primal chocolate truffles yesterday, so I'm sure I'm a bit dehydrated.

Yesterday was weird. My husband, baby daughter, and I left the house in our car to go meet my mom at a half way point to collect our 4 year old son who was having his first sleep over 2 hours away at her house. After 40 minutes (and 10 miles) of driving 3-20 miles an hour in the snow and traffic, we decided to head home and let our boy stay another night with Grandma and Grandpa. We drove about 30 miles total (round trip) and it took us over 4 hours to get home! Not a type-o! We saw so many accidents and people stuck in the snow yesterday. I haven't seen this much snow in years, and the weather people did not see it coming (so neither did we and most of the people out in it yesterday). We stopped about 3 hours in at a whole foods were we picked up groceries and some lunch. I grabbed a rotisseri chicken and shared it with my 9 month old in the back seat. I also had a banana. I thought the picture of me eating from a whole chicken in my lap was undoubtedly primal! I did not take a picture, though. We were too busy enjoying it!

I'm looking in the mirror at my body and it's looking so thin (comparatively). I am 3/4 of a lb. away from my pre-pregnancy weight. I also have a huge amount of energy. Like I need more outlets for it! I guess I should start with cleaning the house . But not right now. My boy is away, my husband's at work, and my baby is asleep. Time to drink my tea and have a peaceful breakfast!
    Last edited by PrimalJes; 12-09-2013 at 06:14 AM.
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Ok, my Mom's on board! She said she would commit to 30 days Primal. So cool! She lost some weight counting calories, but has stalled for several months (because she eats too many carbs). I have been updating her with my progress each day and, now, on day 18, she is ready to make a change for herself. Woo hoo! She is 55 years old, and 185 lbs at 5'-2". Over the last year, she lost 40 lbs counting calories and does strength training 3x a week. She has come a long way, but she still focuses on weight loss as opposed to healthful foods and getting healthy. Ex: she eats low-cal soup with msg...."but it's only 90 calories!" That will be the biggest challenge, but I am going to help her the whole way. She caved quicker than I thought! "Show then aide"!!!
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Congratz on your mom switching

Wine is a no-go for me, I'm allergic to the resverotral (sp can never spell that word) in it, makes my lips blow up like Angelina Jolie's LOL!! I don't do the glucose test during pregnancy, but I have been reading about that being a common problem with paleo ladies. I'm really low-intervention w/ pregnancy and a homebirther at that
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast