Thread: Tucson Senior Citizen page

WezAz is offline Junior Member

Tucson Senior Citizen

Primal Fuel

Hi Everyone, I will be 70 in Sept and have been on diets most of my life. I've lost the same 50 lbs 4 or 5 times. A year and a half ago my husband and I started on a low carb diet developed by a heart doctor here in Tucson. We lost a lot of weight and have kept it off. I'm interested in Primal because it allows more animal fat and the use of oils when cooking, which is more satisfying. I have no trouble limiting carbs to vegetables and small amounts of fruits. We eat no pasta, flour products, grains or starchy veg like white potatoes, corn and peas. We are both happy with this way of eating but would like support and new information.
    I do have a problem if I go somewhere and there are desserts. I can't stop once I get started. I have no idea how to eat only 1 oz of dark chocolate. I love the stuff.
    I'm healthy, no major health problems. I swim every day, not laps but I spend 1 and 1/2 hours in the pool treading water, doing my own style of exercises and paddling around while talking to friends. I walk a little. My favorite thing to do is sit in my recliner with a good book.
    I am optimistic and grateful for every experience I've ever had. For me life is growth, love, happiness and willingness to give and receive.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Hi, welcome! It sounds like you've been doing really well at this. It was really nice to read your story. I am new to eating animal proteins myself.. my husband and I were vegans for the last 12 years, but we are much happier eating this way. I don't have a good solution for your chocolate problem.. the only thing we've found that works is to just absolutely not have any, then we won't be tempted to over-eat it. If you figure that one out, let me know! :-)

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WezAz View Post
    I have no idea how to eat only 1 oz of dark chocolate. I love the stuff.
    I heard someone say on Sean Croxton's podcast that he's never had a patient who wanted more than two squares after he showed them a particular technique for eating it. I think it was Dr. Thomas O'Bryan on this show:

PRPs - The Secret Weapon in Treating Neurological Disorders! 01/12 by Underground Wellness | Blog Talk Radio

That'd be worth listening to anyway, whether I've got the right one or not! Very good guest.

Anyway, what he says is that you break off a square and keep your teeth well away from it. The temptation is to chew the chocolate up, and then you don't really taste it. So put it under your tongue and just let it slowly dissolve. That absolutely floods the mouth with taste and switches on all the receptors in the brain that respond to the experience. Sometimes people come back for a second square, but he says that seems to be enough.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome Wez. I'll be 70 in February. I've been on primal for 2 1/2 years. (Actually closer to Archevore but Mark's my main man.) Doing great. Hope you do too.

@Lewis: I let the dark chocolate dissolve in my mouth but I can go through a whole bar that way. LOL. I don't do it anymore though.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial