Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making compromises for social occasions page

Legerity is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm supposed to meet up with a friend this week and he has recently started cutting out meat. My point isn't to argue with him about this, but he would like to go visit a restaurant that makes all sorts of "meat" dishes but using soy. It's Thai so all the dishes are pretty much these meat substitutes with rice.

I'm just wondering if you all tend to take the 80/20 approach, or do you decide that your diet is more important than social situations? If there is something primal I can always choose that at restaurants, but some just don't have many options. Here the options would be either spend 15-20 bucks for a small portion of soy stuff and starve, or have it with some rice and be somewhat full. Not much better than that.

I'm just kind of hesitant after last week's carb fiasco, once it started I couldn't stop...

Brewtality Guest

Ok well, most resturants that cater to vegs pride themselves on friendliness, so I would simply order a huge amount of veggies, stir fried in one of their thai sauces. I am sure they would be more than happy to indulge you, they know how inconvenient eating out can be when you have a restrictive diet. Just tell them starches dont agree with you well.

Maybe try some of the soy meat stuff on the side, because your friend wants you to try it.

Just because you want the dish slightly different from the menu, doesnt mean you cant have it. They will usually be glad to comply.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

Especially at those prices, and even if someone else was picking up the tab, I'd drink water, herbal tea or black coffee and enjoy the company and conversation.

Some things I'm 80/20 on. Others, like grains and legumes, are "only if it was that or death by starvation."

Legerity is offline Junior Member

That's a good point, they may be able to accommodate. I've been there before, I used to be vegetarian and actually recommended it to my friend a while back before I started following a more primal type of diet. So the whole situation is my fault, if I think about it

Who knows maybe they have something else good too. I'm just trying to find the proper "balance" of taking care of health but not feeling that I can't go out to certain places. I'm more of an all or nothing person in most cases

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

I think soy is a super-awful, toxic food (and even back when I was eating it it gave me gas and stomach cramps) so I myself would not eat it for social reasons or any reason at all. To me this is different than just having something that might (say) have a sauce with some starch or sugar, or having a small helping of a dessert someone baked themselves. I'd have some meat or eggs or whatever at home and just eat vegetables at the restaurant ... if you really can't go to a different place that might be more accommodating to you both.

avocado is offline Senior Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with declining or suggesting a change when there is *nothing* for you to eat. A vegetarian would do the same. Otherwise, I would try some veggies with a coconut / nut based sauce. Or fast, if you're able.

ChrisJ is offline Member

I find this tough. I've been out helping my grandmother move house a lot lately, and she keeps offering me food. I keep declining, and tell her that I can't eat what she's making, but she really doesn't seem to understand! I think she's got used to me saying no, though, and worst case I'll eat a couple potatoes, a little starch is acceptable.

I'd recommend that you try and suggest an alternative that would accommodate you both, and if that fails, eat lots of Veg. Be careful about ordering sauces as some use a lot of sugar / honey.

Eating out in general is difficult for me. So few menus are primal friendly.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

lesliek is offline Member

I think you really should be able to find a restaurant that has something for the both of you. And I second the soy being a really bad thing. I'd rather eat the rice than the soy.

If you do end up going to this vegetarian restaurant, maybe avoid the soy and when your friend asks you about it, you can tell him about this, if you feel comfortable: http://www.menshealth.com/bestfoods/food_features/Is_This_the_Most_Dangerous_Food_for_Men.php.

I hate being negative about what other people eat, and can look the other way when it comes to bread and sugar, but if someone is making soy a staple in their diet, I want hit the fork away from their mouth. :P

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Wow. Putting myself in that situation, I would be more inclined to go for pizza and nachos followed by ice cream than any kind of soy-based, sad homage to meat.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

stryker902 is offline Junior Member

I would go the veggie route myself, or order a veggie and fake soy mea dish and just eat the veggies.

some tea and yuor all set

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast