Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of flying? page

Fear of flying?

Does anyone here have an unhealthy fear of flying? I didn't mind my first few flights as they were on a large plane and largely turbulence free. Then I took a shorter trip on a little plane in a storm and now I have anxiety attacks (nothing I can't endure, but certainly uncomfortable) whenever I have to fly. My last trip involved a couple anti-anxiety pills washed down with a couple beers, anything beat that?
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Come on, man.

You die you die, what's the big deal?

Flying is the coolest thing in the world, don't hold your petty little life so dear.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'm sort of the opposite--I love flying. My dad has his private pilot's license, and he owned a plane while I was growing up, so I've been flying all my life. Unless it's really, really bad, I think turbulence is sort of fun. My partner is not as comfortable with it, though, so he usually has a couple of drinks in the airport before the flight. I think it's helped him to have a partner who likes it--my enthusiasm is contagious--plus we do a lot of international travel, so the combination of repeated experiences and the promise of a cool destination at the end has helped him get more comfortable with it.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I travel a lot, and have had several frightening experiences in planes, but have not yet developed a fear of flying. I guess the excitement of going to a new place wins out over the fear that I may not make it there. Anyway, I do have a friend who has a bad fear of flying, so I got her this book which helped her a lot: Amazon.com: Ask the Pilot: Everything You Need to Know About Air Travel (9781594480041): Patrick Smith: Books

It explains about all the different sounds you hear in a plane, and when you should worry vs when you shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    I travel a lot, and have had several frightening experiences in planes, but have not yet developed a fear of flying. I guess the excitement of going to a new place wins out over the fear that I may not make it there. Anyway, I do have a friend who has a bad fear of flying, so I got her this book which helped her a lot: Amazon.com: Ask the Pilot: Everything You Need to Know About Air Travel (9781594480041): Patrick Smith: Books

It explains about all the different sounds you hear in a plane, and when you should worry vs when you shouldn't.
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I also loathe flying and have suffered debilitating anxiety and panic attacks, but have been coerced into flying from NY to Florida in September. I'm going to see if my neurologist can get me some Xanax or something. So. Yeah. Me too, no good answers. One thought is to help define why you're afraid of flying. Is it heights? Control issue? Fear of Authority?

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I was going to ask what specifically goes through your head during those high-anxiety moments.

I get stressed before travel because I am really excited about going somewhere, and because airports stress me the fuck out. The crowds, the chance of getting pulled aside for a random check etc. I have to stop thinking about what's ahead and take it one step at a time. First, get tickets. Now I wait in line. Now I take off my shoes etc. It helps that security is much more strict now, actually, because EVERYONE has to go through the scanners and such. There is less singling out. Once I'm on the plane, I get anxious until we start to move, and then I'm just excited to see the clouds.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I also loathe flying and have suffered debilitating anxiety and panic attacks, but have been coerced into flying from NY to Florida in September. I'm going to see if my neurologist can get me some Xanax or something. So. Yeah. Me too, no good answers. One thought is to help define why you're afraid of flying. Is it heights? Control issue? Fear of Authority?
    I forget the name of the drug I got, it wasn't Xanax and it also didn't work too well. I think what causes it is the heights, maybe a little claustrophobia, probably lack of options in the event of an emergency more than anything. Contrary to this stellar advice:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    don't hold your petty little life so dear.
    I happen to hold my petty life pretty dear, so do my kids. Maybe that's it, too, fear of leaving the kids alone.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I was going to ask what specifically goes through your head during those high-anxiety moments.

I get stressed before travel because I am really excited about going somewhere, and because airports stress me the fuck out. The crowds, the chance of getting pulled aside for a random check etc. I have to stop thinking about what's ahead and take it one step at a time. First, get tickets. Now I wait in line. Now I take off my shoes etc. It helps that security is much more strict now, actually, because EVERYONE has to go through the scanners and such. There is less singling out. Once I'm on the plane, I get anxious until we start to move, and then I'm just excited to see the clouds.
    Specifically? Wow, I dunno, how about falling for like 3 freaking minutes waiting to crash? Security doesn't bother me, I hope I get violated this time. I went through one of the x-ray scanners in Miami and got a good chuckle out of that.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That book sounds like a good option for you then! I guess I get a bit zen about the whole potential for death thing. I'd likely be flying with the only person I'd want to say goodbye to anyway. It's probably the one situation in life that I could get zen about, I am anxious about practically everything else.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast