Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fear of flying? page 4

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Jerseyjim!! You are a great great pilot i am sure.
    Especially the floating ability of planes, to a certain extent, makes me more relaxed. I will have to fly again next week, unfortunately with a company that is not allowed in the EU. I realize the chances of an incident are still minor, its the combination of being in such a small space, no where to run to for hours, the speech of some pilots that is not very convincing (i am sure if you were the pilot that last stress factor would not occur)

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    It's tough to sound convincing when you give the same speech 3x a day.

+1 to what Jim has said; turbulence is nothing. The airplane can take way worse than the worst turbulence you've experienced, most of us have been rocked a time or two something fierce. The plane will not break, it just doesn't happen anymore. You will not fall for 3 minutes to your death.

There were a couple of cargo pilots a half dozen years ago that did something stupid on their last day and lost control of the plane and descended 20,000' in less than a minute. The tail was almost twisted off, the wing was broken internally and the old thing holding it together was the skin. It still landed safely.

Pilots both lost their liscenses.

Jim, I fly a Lear out of ILG, nice to see another primal pilot in the NE out there!

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    CE402, thank you, another pilot chiming in! Believe me, i have been rocked more than the average flyer, certainly not as much as you, in remote areas and < 18 people planes. I am not the initial poster, but still really stressed about flying. I really appreciate your time for answering, as well as Jerseyjim's, you are grokking pilots '.
    I hope i will be enjoying and relaxing on my next flight with your knowledge and encouragement in mind.
    Last edited by halfbunny; 06-22-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: horrible English

Quote Originally Posted by halfbunny View Post
    CE402, thank you, another pilot chiming in! Believe me, i have been rocked more than the average flyer, certainly not as much as you, in remote areas and < 18 people planes. I am not the initial poster, but still really stressed about flying. I really appreciate your time for answering, as well as Jerseyjim's, you are grokking pilots '.
    I hope i will be enjoying and relaxing on my next flight with your knowledge and encouragement in mind.
    Yeah, I appreciate it as well. Some of these folks don't understand the ir in irrational fear of flying. I know the trip will be safe 99.99% of the time, but my mind makes that .01% seem pretty big and pretty real.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Halfbunny, you are quite welcome! BTW, I'm only as good as my last landing .

CE402, nice to see another corporate primal guy! HPN-based here, get to the schoolhouse in ILG 2x/year.

Those of you who are afraid to fly may feel better knowing amusement park rides scares the bejebus out of me - seriously! My wife refuses to go on them with our 8 year old daughter, so I end up taking one for the team. My little girl is all smiles but I just want to hurl...

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Thanks to whoever posted the link to the book and the two pilots posting here. I have always been a little scared of flying, but had an incident last year that scared the hell out of me. Now I am one of those people who feels/hears something weird and looks around to see if anyone else looks like they are about to freak out. I cannot relax on a smaller plane no matter what I do. I am fine on the large planes, but even xanex will not help me on the small ones. No one knows I am freaking out because I don't show it, but itís a bad adrenaline rush the whole time. By the time the plane ride is over I am completely exhausted and my stomach is messed up. The last time I had to run to the bathroom right after I got off the plane!

I flew to Germany last October and was fine on the large planes. On the last leg of my flight out of ATL something happened and we had to turn around and go back. To the pilot's credit, he didn't mention we had turned around until we were almost there. He said something about being concerned about "vibrations". We went back, got on a different plane with the same pilot and flew to Wilmington. When we landed I was glad and told him I appreciated him making the call to turn around rather than just keep flying to our destination on the same plane. It probably wasn't a huge deal, but it really messed me up. Now I am so anxious I can hardly stand it. I don't know what I can do about it other than read the book posted. It does make me feel better that a few pilots have chimed in here though. It helps to not think of the disasters like the one Air France had a few years ago, but those things always come to mind.
    Last edited by NicoleP; 06-23-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleP View Post
    Thanks to whoever posted the link to the book and the two pilots posting here. I have always been a little scared of flying, but had an incident last year that scared the hell out of me. Now I am one of those people who feels/hears something weird and looks around to see if anyone else looks like they are about to freak out. I cannot relax on a smaller plane no matter what I do. I am fine on the large planes, but even xanex will not help me on the small ones. No one knows I am freaking out because I don't show it, but itís a bad adrenaline rush the whole time. By the time the plane ride is over I am completely exhausted and my stomach is messed up. The last time I had to run to the bathroom right after I got off the plane!

I flew to Germany last October and was fine on the large planes. On the last leg of my flight out of ATL something happened and we had to turn around and go back. To the pilot's credit, he didn't mention we had turned around until we were almost there. He said something about being concerned about "vibrations". We went back, got on a different plane with the same pilot and flew to Wilmington. When we landed I was glad and told him I appreciated him making the call to turn around rather than just keep flying to our destination on the same plane. It probably wasn't a huge deal, but it really messed me up. Now I am so anxious I can hardly stand it. I don't know what I can do about it other than read the book posted. It does make me feel better that a few pilots have chimed in here though. It helps to not think of the disasters like the one Air France had a few years ago, but those things always come to mind.
    Nicole, I'm sorry this experience had such an effect on you! Smaller airplanes give us a much more "intimate" experience while flying. They're a bit noisier because they do not have as much sound insulation. The cabins are smaller, so if there is any latent tendencies towards claustrophobia, it will probably push that button. And then sometimes the crew will reseat or restrict seating in parts of the aircraft due to weight and balance (I would imagine this could be disconcerting to a nonpilot).

The FAA rules on aircraft design (and they are extensive) are no different for the smaller airliners; they have to meet the same safety criteria as the larger ones. They carry less sound insulation because they insulation gets heavy and the smaller jets can't carry as much weight.

Airplanes fly and pivot around their center of gravity, just like a seesaw pivots around a point. Just like with a seesaw, if the weight distribution on an aircraft is changed, the pivot point is changed. The pivot point is calculated before each flight to ensure it is within an acceptable range. Hope that makes sense.

The crew training and performance standards are the same for pilots on the smaller airliners as they are for the larger ones. Yes, the pilots tend to be younger and less experienced, but they still have to pass the same tests/checkrides as everyone else.

As to the vibration, if you did not feel it, then it was a sensor inside the aircraft put there to warn the crew of a potential problem. The warning is proactive so the crew can do something about it before a problem develops.

Do you mean Wilmington, NC? Great town! I used to spend quite a bit of time there.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    And those tests and check rides aren't the easy thing in the world. You have to know what you're doing, no "faking the funk." Prepping for Instrument check ride right now...
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    I just saw Dr. Drew on tv talking about how he conquered his anxiety attacks/fear of flying...caught the end though..might try googling it, may help? I am scared to fly too and never have but want to because I want to go to Vegas! lol so I have been looking into this as well!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just go fly, you might be surprised at how stress free it is, other than TSA and ticket agents.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast