Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fear of flying? page 3

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    What do you fly Jim? Citation?

BTW I always figure you're more likely to bite the dust driving to the airport than you are after take off.
    Gulfstream 550.

newjet-1.jpg

I think you're right about statistics; however, may not help someone with anxiety.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    On one of the first international flights I took travelling alone as a newly-minted adult, I didn't do too well. I could only sit there pretty rigid as we prepared for takeoff, with tears slowly running down the face (not due to homesickness - I was escaping from there!). This guy sitting next to me took one look at me and started talking. He talked for the better part of an hour. For the first few I thought he was obnoxious, but then I started paying attention. Turns out he was a factory owner from Bangladesh. He got his wallet out and produced some local currency - stuff had probably 8 or 9 different scripts on it, each of which he then expounded upon... official languages... history of India... his factory... and then I noticed we had long since been at cruising altitude.

I sincerely thanked the old man (I was 18 at the time) - he had purposely distracted me. Can't say it will work for the kind of fears you all describe, but I was grateful for his help nonetheless.

Grok is offline Senior Member

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    You're in a hell of a lot more danger on you drive to the airport then you are on your flight. You think when you're in a car you're more in control, that's only an illusion developed from familiarity.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    You're in a hell of a lot more danger on you drive to the airport then you are on your flight. You think when you're in a car you're more in control, that's only an illusion developed from familiarity.
    When you have a phobia it's not about what is rational. I am well aware that I am safe in the plane. My body just doesn't agree with me!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    EFT is great for clearing phobias, including fear of flying.

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    Jerseyjim, great you are sharing your knowledge on the topic! Can you enlighten me on the environmental-guilt-feelings i get besides the jibbery-jeets-i-am-up-in-the-sky-pleaaaase-land-safe-soon? I have to travel VERY frequently for my job and i am allowed to take a plane for shorter distances too, like Copenhagen - Cologne. This kind of distances have train alternatives in Europe, but sometimes my time is short or my colleagues respond annoyed when i decide to take a train instead of flying. Isn't there some research fund on alternative-to-kerosine sources i can donate to?

ETA: yes, i am a big softie sometimes, i know!
    Last edited by halfbunny; 06-21-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by halfbunny View Post
    Jerseyjim, great you are sharing your knowledge on the topic! Can you enlighten me on the environmental-guilt-feelings i get besides the jibbery-jeets-i-am-up-in-the-sky-pleaaaase-land-safe-soon? I have to travel VERY frequently for my job and i am allowed to take a plane for shorter distances too, like Copenhagen - Cologne. This kind of distances have train alternatives in Europe, but sometimes my time is short or my colleagues respond annoyed when i decide to take a train instead of flying. Isn't there some research fund on alternative-to-kerosine sources i can donate to?

ETA: yes, i am a big softie sometimes, i know!
    You are quite welcome!

Halfbunny, I would prefer to steer away from an environmental discussion. Human-created climate change is a very touchy subject. I will say that you are the one who can put a value on your time. Well, apparently your coworkers put a value on it as well. IMHO, it is something better discussed in person over a bottle of wine!

Fire away with any and all safety or aviation related questions and I'll do my best.

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! No i didn't mean the global warming thing (no opinion about that at all) just meant the substance of kerosine/ residu of process. But i realize its only a made-up argument by my mind, coming from fear and interest, as the residue is part of my job. What i wonder: if a combination of trouble occur while flying, lets say in the motor, would you prefer landing on water or on land surface? You always see the intro safety clips where the plane lands on water with inflated 'arms'.. I understand it depends on circumstances, but always wondered.. Would a plane sink quickly for example?

ETA: i realize my fear of flying is relative, because i do take a plane quite regularly for work. My tactic is just being really quiet, no mentioning fear to anyone i know etc

Quote Originally Posted by halfbunny View Post
    Thanks! No i didn't mean the global warming thing (no opinion about that at all) just meant the substance of kerosine/ residu of process. But i realize its only a made-up argument by my mind, coming from fear and interest, as the residue is part of my job. What i wonder: if a combination of trouble occur while flying, lets say in the motor, would you prefer landing on water or on land surface? You always see the intro safety clips where the plane lands on water with inflated 'arms'.. I understand it depends on circumstances, but always wondered.. Would a plane sink quickly for example?

ETA: i realize my fear of flying is relative, because i do take a plane quite regularly for work. My tactic is just being really quiet, no mentioning fear to anyone i know etc
    By residue, do you mean particulate matter from the exhaust? If so, jet engines produce a pretty clean burn due to the high temperatures inside the hot section of the engine. The jet I fly has a gauge that shows the temperature at the exhaust and typically we see 650*C+. Temps in the hotest section of the engine are a lot higher...1200*C if I recall correctly.

We'd always choose an emergency landing at an airport . However, if that were not possible, then a flat piece of ground with no obstructions, then water. For example, the jet that ditched in the Hudson River next to NYC a few years ago - it was water or city. The captain chose well!

An aircraft landed on water should float for a period of time (like it did in the above example). However, the time is very dependent on sea-state. Big waves means it will sink faster.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast