Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dairy page

reallygravity is offline Senior Member

Dairy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If one is not sensitive to dairy, does it fall into the eat in moderation category, such as cheese and fruit? Or in the meat, fat, and veggies category?

Thanks,

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I can't eat dairy at all without weight gains. So I think it depends on your particular body. If you know you're not sensitive, I'd try eating it in moderation, and then if you feel you can handle it, try eating it more heavily and see how your body responds. :-)

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    more on the moderation side of things, and try to make it good dairy...grass fed when possible.

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! I dont do well with cheese for sure (weight gain). But greek yogurt seems fine... I need to experiment more. Thanks.

After initially refraining (for the first month), I now consume a fair amount of diary...cream in my coffee, cheese, sour cream, butter, kefir...pretty much anything except drinking milk straight-up. I view it as a cheap source of fat. I luckily don't any intolerance and my only struggle with weight is keeping it on.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I'd try eliminating it completely for at least 30 days, then adding it back little by little until you see adverse effects. If/when you see adverse effects, scale back. I actually did this, and I believe I added back a category (as defined below) every 3 days after the 30 days had passed.

Categories:
    1. Raw, grass-fed, fermented dairy
    2. Raw, fermented dairy
    3. Grass-fed pasteurized fermented dairy
    4. Conventional fermented dairy
    5. Unfermented pasteurized dairy

Personally, none of the categories gave me any issues. I can get/stay very lean on high dairy diets (Although I still believe grass-fed and raw-milk and fermented varieties are nutritionally superior). You won't know for sure until you try the elimination thing though. Look at it as a fun science experiment, and keep a journal.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    It's amazing how many people won't drink milk. I didn't drink it for 20 years, have gone through several gallons in last ten days and feel great.

Yes, drink milk and eat cheese. Kefir and yogurt are pro inflammatory for me so I don't use them much.

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reallygravity View Post
    If one is not sensitive to dairy, does it fall into the eat in moderation category, such as cheese and fruit? Or in the meat, fat, and veggies category?

Thanks,

Dairy products that are not aged and are more than just the fat have a lot of sugar in it naturally. This is why you'd want to eat it minimally.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    I seem to do better with some dairy -- specifically, plain Greek yogurt, with fresh berries (and even a banana). Wish I could find whole-fat Fage near me!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'd try eliminating it completely for at least 30 days, then adding it back little by little until you see adverse effects. If/when you see adverse effects, scale back. I actually did this, and I believe I added back a category (as defined below) every 3 days after the 30 days had passed.

Categories:
    1. Raw, grass-fed, fermented dairy
    2. Raw, fermented dairy
    3. Grass-fed pasteurized fermented dairy
    4. Conventional fermented dairy
    5. Unfermented pasteurized dairy

Personally, none of the categories gave me any issues. I can get/stay very lean on high dairy diets (Although I still believe grass-fed and raw-milk and fermented varieties are nutritionally superior). You won't know for sure until you try the elimination thing though. Look at it as a fun science experiment, and keep a journal.
    I can go up to category 4 on your list if we are talking about cow milk but I can do all 5 if it is goat milk. It really seems to make a difference for me.
    I do still limit dairy intake as it is something I can easily overeat on, just calorie wise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast