Thread: Intermittent Fasting Question from a newbie page

isbolick is offline Member

Intermittent Fasting Question from a newbie

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I am new to all of this primal living stuff and working on putting together a lifestyle that works for me and my family. My current goals are to lose weight and get more fit. I have been doing some research on intermittent fasting and see that people use it in different ways. Some people fast for 16 hours a day, every day and others take a fasting day or two a week. I am thinking that the easiest and least stressful thing for me would be fasting 16 hours a day, but being able to eat every day. BUT...I want this to work as well as possible for increasing insulin sensitivity and therefore weight loss, so which way is better for that or does it matter?

Thanks for your responses!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    before you even get into fasting, get settled with the rest of the primal way of life first. get comfortable with the food, make sure you're sleeping, exercising, playing, etc.

then, play around with fasting and see what works for you. try skipping breakfast. then skip breakfast and eat a late lunch. try a whole day without food if you want. there's no one way that works best for everyone, so you've got to experiment a bit.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Recent research also shows that women do not respond well to fasting at all.

I concur that you should settle in with the food, exercise, sleep and other aspects before trying a fast program (if you're male). You really need to stabilize your weight, insulin and sleep patterns so you can achieve optimal performance with all your activities. I'm in that process now myself - healing and stabilizing. I think it will take months, perhaps years, but that's ok with me. It's the journey that fascinates me as well as the destination.

Oh and welcome aboard!
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    No, it hasn't. There has definitely been a re-examination of the evidence, and women don't appear to respond exactly the same when fasting as men, but there are still many benefits that appear to apply to both sexes. Mark covered this in his latest post.
    Last edited by RichMahogany; 06-20-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    There are a lot of women around here who maintain that fasting has been amazing for them, research aside. While there may be some slight concerns for women that men do not have, it would behoove each woman interested, to give it a try and see for themselves how it affects them instead of making one blanket statement that is supposed to represent how each and every member of the fairer sex responds to fasting.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    before you even get into fasting, get settled with the rest of the primal way of life first. get comfortable with the food, make sure you're sleeping, exercising, playing, etc.

then, play around with fasting and see what works for you. try skipping breakfast. then skip breakfast and eat a late lunch. try a whole day without food if you want. there's no one way that works best for everyone, so you've got to experiment a bit.
    What he said!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Well ok then. Fast away girls.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    get the basics down. fasting isn't required and all we have is anecdotal evidence that it works for some women and doesn't work for others. each person is different and until you are adapted to being in ketosis (is that what you are trying to do?) it will be too hard.

if you're just changing your eating, don't even think about fasting. you need to learn what true hunger feels like, not just the spikes and dips from carbs that signal a cry for sugar, not a true call for fuel.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

isbolick is offline Member
    Thanks for the replies.

noodletoy, I am not aiming for ketosis, I am aiming to change my lifestyle in a lasting way. Basically, I want something I can live with that doesn't leave me feeling like I have been hit by a truck every afternoon from 2-6. I do need to lose weight, but we have a fairly active lifestyle (we are sort-of farmers) and am considered fit by every doctor I have seen even though I am a good 40 pounds overweight. 40 pounds EASY. But my blood pressure, cholesterol, heart rate, etc are all way down in normal, so I can't get a doctor excited about helping me lose weight. I just know that no matter WHAT they say, this is not healthy. And ultimately, a solution that comes in a bottle is no solution at all. What got me here is how I eat. So, I need to change how I eat.

Today I skipped breakfast and was surprised at how easy it was. I oftentimes don't feel like eating in the morning, but I have forced myself to for years because breakfast 'is the most important meal of the day'. Reading about intermittent fasting was almost a relief! I think I am just going to try to eat when I am hungry. Following that, I imagine that I will wind up doing some kind of intermittent fasting without really trying to.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    find what works best for you and stick with it. good luck!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway