Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still not losing much weight page 3

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I don't think a once a week drink situation is going to be an issue. I would suggest looking for nutrient dense foods as much as possible so that when you do drink (which arguably has no nutrients) there is a balance.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

CourtTuttle is offline Junior Member
    If I'm trying to lose weight, dairy slows my progress. Like others have said, this isn't the case for everyone. I know plenty of people who can lose at a quick pace while eating dairy - I can't. I finished a Whole 30 about a week ago and I lost 8 pounds even though my weight loss had stalled out on primal (with dairy) before that.

Anyway, I wanted to post because I found that while on the Whole 30, I could eat clarified butter without messing up my weight loss and it's WAY better than olive oil or coconut oil in eggs. It tastes almost exactly like butter which is obviously delicious. It's also better for cooking than butter or olive oil. Since the dairy proteins are taken out of it, it can handle pretty high heat.

You pretty much have to make it but it's super easy. I make enough for like two months at a time and it takes like 10 minutes. I keep it in the fridge in a glass container that seals really well.

One of my best discoveries.

Oh, you can learn how to make it here: The Butter Manifesto | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would start by ditching the dairy and the nuts. They seem to make up quite a bit of your diet. Focus on meats, fats, veggies, and some fruits.

Butter is probably fine to keep in. If you want to be very strict about dairy you could make your butter in to ghee.

I think a couple glasses of wine per week is probably fine. More than that may be an issue.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedogs View Post
    One post suggests eating less and the other suggests eating more! not sure which advice to follow. My average cals per day are about 1200. Some of that is wine and cheese so if I cut down on wine and cheese then the cals will go down also. Yesterday was the most cals at 1700 but this was due to a lot of butter cheeses and olive oil.
    That is because you are barely eating anything at all. Some people think further caloric restriction will help. I'm one who doesn't think it will help. You are barely eating anything at all. Look at your list:

Beakfast (if I am hungry) -two scrambled eggs with butter and splash of milk,

There is hardly any nutrition here. And with the parenthesis "if I am hungry", there is sometimes no nutrition here at all.

Lunch - usually not hungry but may have some nuts or cheese and olives

Again, no nutrition here at all, or if there is any, it's just empty-ish, snacky stuff. You are obviously trying to make it through the day without eating and giving in sometimes with little bits. Little low-carb bits in the hopes that their calories won't count in the end.

Dinner - about 120g of either meat with salad and brocili or fish usaully with loads of salad leaves, and an olive oil based dressing.

There is a little bit of nutrition here, but being that it's the main meal of the day, it sounds fairly scant.

I drink about two coffees with cream and two tea with milk, also one or two white wines in the evening.

Coffee, tea and wine are also not nutritional.

I totally know this pattern as I've lived it practically my whole life. What you are doing is eating stuff that you can use in your mind to fool yourself that you are not eating and at the same time fool yourself into thinking you aren't starving. You are avoiding eating real meals because that would make you panic and think you are going to get fat. Instead little bits of non-food trickles in all day long. A little coffee and tea here, a few nuts there, some wine to tide you over and fill the void. The end result is never going to be weight loss. It NEVER worked for me. I've lived this pattern for almost 47 freakin years. Look at what I got for my efforts!

Seriously, ditch all the snacky little things and eat some substantial, full, complete meals of nutrient-dense foods. They do not have to be enormous meals, but make all the food in them REAL FOOD. No cheese, no little bits of olives and nuts, no tiding yourself over or filling the void with teas and coffees and wines. Meat, vegetables hot with butter, sweet potatoes, savory delicious things, not salad. In fact, don't eat another salad until you are so sick of not eating salads that you are ready to beg someone for a salad.

Then get some exercise every day. Take a walk on your lunch break. Do some exercises that will put a little muscle on. You will not bulk up, I promise. You only have to do this twice a week and for only like half hour or so. No big deal. Do some sprinting. It's magical. You only have to do it once a week for a few minutes. Have some patience, too. You may never lose another pound, but I swear to you if you do what I've said, you will look and feel so much better.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I am a sedentary female, height 5ft 6in and weigh about 74kg.
    I would start moving slowly, lifting heavy things and adding a sprint or two if you can.
    Although you are watching callories as others have said nuts and dairy do seem to cause problems when people are trying to loose weight.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

ilovedogs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    That is because you are barely eating anything at all.
    Beakfast (if I am hungry) -two scrambled eggs with butter and splash of milk,

There is hardly any nutrition here. And with the parenthesis "if I am hungry", there is sometimes no nutrition here at all.

Lunch - usually not hungry but may have some nuts or cheese and olives

Again, no nutrition here at all, or if there is any, it's just empty-ish, snacky stuff. You are obviously trying to make it through the day without eating and giving in sometimes with little bits. Little low-carb bits in the hopes that their calories won't count in the end.

Dinner - about 120g of either meat with salad and brocili or fish usaully with loads of salad leaves, and an olive oil based dressing.

There is a little bit of nutrition here, but being that it's the main meal of the day, it sounds fairly scant.

I drink about two coffees with cream and two tea with milk, also one or two white wines in the evening.

Coffee, tea and wine are also not nutritional.

I totally know this pattern as I've lived it practically my whole life. What you are doing is eating stuff that you can use in your mind to fool yourself that you are not eating and at the same time fool yourself into thinking you aren't starving. You are avoiding eating real meals because that would make you panic and think you are going to get fat. Instead little bits of non-food trickles in all day long. A little coffee and tea here, a few nuts there, some wine to tide you over and fill the void. The end result is never going to be weight loss. It NEVER worked for me. I've lived this pattern for almost 47 freakin years. Look at what I got for my efforts!

Seriously, ditch all the snacky little things and eat some substantial, full, complete meals of nutrient-dense foods. They do not have to be enormous meals, but make all the food in them REAL FOOD. No cheese, no little bits of olives and nuts, no tiding yourself over or filling the void with teas and coffees and wines. Meat, vegetables hot with butter, sweet potatoes, savory delicious things, not salad. In fact, don't eat another salad until you are so sick of not eating salads that you are ready to beg someone for a salad.

Then get some exercise every day. Take a walk on your lunch break. Do some exercises that will put a little muscle on. You will not bulk up, I promise. You only have to do this twice a week and for only like half hour or so. No big deal. Do some sprinting. It's magical. You only have to do it once a week for a few minutes. Have some patience, too. You may never lose another pound, but I swear to you if you do what I've said, you will look and feel so much better.
    Since cutting out grains my appettite has naturally diminished which I think is normal, A lot of people only eat during a certain window of time and this type of IF is also poular on this site. Meat,cheese,eggs,olives nuts, veg,cream are all nutritious foods and I eat a lot of leaves because I like them and they are also good food.. The excersise is an issue and I do intend to do more but I don't understand how the food I eat is not good for me when the primal blueprint is based around these types of food.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Since cutting out grains my appettite has naturally diminished which I think is normal, A lot of people only eat during a certain window of time and this type of IF is also poular on this site. Meat,cheese,eggs,olives nuts, veg,cream are all nutritious foods and I eat a lot of leaves because I like them and they are also good food.. The excersise is an issue and I do intend to do more but I don't understand how the food I eat is not good for me when the primal blueprint is based around these types of food.
    Well, how's it working for you?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

ilovedogs is offline Senior Member
    Not very well/lol. I do drink quite a lot so I think this should be tackled as does the excersise issue. Should I eat when I am really not hungry though?

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    You drink too much, excercise is zero and you refuse to eat fish or meat.

Have you considered the Primal Blueprint?

Denvergoofy is offline Junior Member
    The one thing that stalls me is alcohol. One cup of red and I'm done for a week.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast