Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eczema page

jacmac is offline Senior Member

Eczema

I have been primal since January and am feeling great except for eczema that is around on my eyelids and around the delicate tissue of my eyes (it's quite painful) I have stopped using makeup and have started taking zinc plus 25mg
    vit d3 1000iu
    Vit A 10000iu
    fish oil caps (with iodine and vit d3)1000mg

I am really careful when washing my hair not to get any shampoo on my face and have found some relief applying from lanolin. I had eczema years ago but never on my face and no where near as irritated as this is. Has anyone else encountered this?
    I would appreciate any suggestions cause this is driving me crazy.
    Thanks
    Jackie

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    My 8 month old grandson has eczema and has ended up with my daughter applying a steroid cream to clear it up. But then he's eating a "normal" diet.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

BeeRex is offline Junior Member
    I've had eczema since I was about 2 (I'm now 29). It was really bad when I was younger, all over my ears and inside them as well. Some on my scalp (though, maybe it's just irritated from commercial shampoos. Which I've since stopped using and it's been getting less itchy and flaky), and when I was young some spots on my arms. About last year some time it reduced to one ear, and mostly on the bit of the inside that you can see. Since I've gone Primal, about the same amount of time as you, it has reduced further. Are you eating dairy? I've heard that it can be a different sort of 'reflection' of a dairy sensitivity. I haven't cut all dairy out, but eat that with the least lactose (butter, cream, anything with a high fat content). Have you tried putting some oatmeal in a nylon, soaking it and then resting that on your eye? When I had eczema on my arms I would take oatmeal baths to calm the skin. Lush makes a body lotion (Dream Cream) that I've heard some people like for eczema, though that might be a bit heavy for the eye area. And, while I haven't used it myself, I wonder about coconut oil? It supposedly has some healing/soothing properties and I do put it on my scalp from time to time.
    Good luck! It really is a pain in the arse.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I get eczema from grains, so I think Primal will really benefit you if you also react to gluten with outbreaks. At one point though, I kept getting eczema on my face~ turned out I was allergic to one of the ingredients in my face cream. Aloe to be exact. I discovered the sensitivity while trying to find a topical treatment when I had eczema on my body but I used the face cream for years with no problem so I didn't bother to read the ingredients. Maybe they changed the formula?

I also had a similar reaction on my scalp after returning to a shampoo/conditioner brand that I had used several years earlier with no problem. This time, I had big flakes, insane itching and raw spots! After reading the label, yup~ aloe. I am shocked at how many personal care/cosmetic products contain aloe~ but I'm not surprised at how many people have told me they can't use these products.

Don't know if aloe specifically is your sensitivity, but it could be anything from some ingredient in your eye cream to something in one of your fingernail products. I've heard that nail polish is often the irritant that causes eczema around the eyes ~ I guess because the skin there is so sensitive?

patski is offline Senior Member
    Emu oil is excellent for soothing eczema.

I'd consider upping your O3.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    There are a few primal foods that can be inflammatory for some people - dairy, eggs, and nuts can be contributors. Try eliminating them for a few weeks and then add them in one at a time.

Are you pretty strict about avoiding non-primal oils such as soybean oil, corn oil, etc?

Any chance you have a nickel allergy? Some primal foods can be high in nickel which is no problem unless you have a nickel allergy - eczema can be aggravated by lots of nickel intake in people with sensitivity.

Make sure your vitamin D3 level is in the upper half of normal.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Try coconut oil on it or olive oil... We have a family full of eczema people and while not everyone lives primally, both oils clear it up for them.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Samathematics is offline Junior Member
    27 year old here with eczema since a child.

I had it really bad on my hands (and all over, but having it in noticeable places is embarrassing) this year and the Primal diet cleared it up within two weeks of starting.

But I have to be really careful. I don't buy any soaps, shampoo, or laundry detergent that has scents added to it. Also, (assuming you're a girl), you may want to avoid or test some eye make-up or face scrubs. Also, if I use a loofa, I get an outbreak, so I always use soft towels. No skin abrasions, hot water, or harsh chemicals.

Hope that helps.

Chanteuse is offline Member
    My eczema has almost completely cleared since going Primal -- except for this month. I'm from Indiana, so I'm used to a pretty high level of humidity. Well, I'm doing a summer program in New Mexico for a month, and with the additional stress and low humidity and altitude (I'm in the mountains) I started getting these really itchy blisters that I thought were bug bites.

Wrong. It was a severe sort of blistering eczema, and I tried everything I could think of. Coconut oil, cocoa butter, mixing lavender oil in with those, etc. The only thing that works for me is pure shea butter. I don't know what's in that stuff, but it works nearly as well as my steroid creams (that I left at home, naturally). Hot water aggravates mine, too, so take showers as lukewarm as you can stand, and try not to itch!

Seriously, though. Pure shea butter. It's amazing.

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanteuse View Post
    Hot water aggravates mine, too, so take showers as lukewarm as you can stand, and try not to itch!
    Oh how did I forget to mention hot water?! Huge aggrivation for my skin too!
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast