Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When the avocados are scarce...

When the avocados are scarce...

Shop Now
    I've really gotten into the habit of eating an avocado per day/ half at lunch/half at dinner. I don't need oil, because I have avocado! I don't need salad dressing, because my big-ass salad has avocado! What the hell am I going to do when the avocados aren't in season for me and cost $2 per avocado? I wish I lived in Cali and had an avocado tree...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    I've really gotten into the habit of eating an avocado per day/ half at lunch/half at dinner. I don't need oil, because I have avocado! I don't need salad dressing, because my big-ass salad has avocado! What the hell am I going to do when the avocados aren't in season for me and cost $2 per avocado? I wish I lived in Cali and had an avocado tree...
    You could come visit me. Guacamole is one of the four food groups in SoCal.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You could come visit me. Guacamole is one of the four food groups in SoCal.
    I am so jealous! Really, I credit ze wonderous avocado with making me look forward to my meals.

Yeah. Lived in San Diego for a year with tree in backyard. I generally get them cheap at the Sacramento co-op now. Other stores, gotta stock up when there's a big sports event.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Yeah. Lived in San Diego for a year with tree in backyard. I generally get them cheap at the Sacramento co-op now. Other stores, gotta stock up when there's a big sports event.
    This does not help my winter-time avocado-less gloomy time!!! Booooooo!!!!!! I need a greenhouse!

Try $2.99 per.

To be fair I can get them for less by buying bags of five.

I love them too; they're a buck a pc now at Kroger.. We'll just have to use the oil when they start going up.

I found this:
    Q: Can avocados be frozen?
    A: Yes, pureed avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and dips.
    For directions, visit Preparation Tips and Techniques.
    How to Store Avocados :: How to Freeze Avocados, How to Prevent Avocados from Turning Brown

May not be ideal, but could help get you through the winter months.

When I can't find avocados I buy Wholly Guacamole, its ingredients are:
    Hass Avocados, Jalapeno Puree (white vinegar, jalapeno peppers, salt), Dehydrated Onion, Salt, Granulated Garlic.

Shop Now
    I don't think I have ever had to buy an avocado. I'd have an ocean view if it wasn't for all these dang avocado trees. Just thought I would rub it in.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.