Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leg cramps... Carb related??? page 2

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I was getting leg and foot cramps at night recently, since lowering my carbs and doing more running/walking (did both at the same time so I'm not sure which is to blame, if either). I started taking a calcium+magnesium supplement (had it at home already, just hadn't been taking it yet) and haven't had a single cramp since! I take a multivitamin in the morning, and the Ca+Mg in the evening, since I don't know how much you can absorb all at once so I figured it couldn't hurt to spread them out.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Are you getting adequate potassium? I take two 99mg potassium citrate supplements every night to avoid the cramps. The Drs Eades recommend them when you are low-carbing.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    You can also try some spinach, it's loaded with potassium

mstrudle is offline Member
    I doubt it is carb related, but potassium and magnesium are rich in several carb heavy foods, such as bananas, that reducing carb intake also reduced K/Mg intake to the point that you are cramping. Adequate sodium/potassium/magnesium balance is necessary to prevent cramping; also, you're not taking creatine, are you? Creatine loading can cause severe cramping in some people, so you might want to moderate intake if you are using it.

Up your avocado intake, one of which has more potassium than a banana. Eat some foods rich in magnesium. Stay hydrated.

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    A guy I know who eats paleo but is an endurance athlete says that his cramps have been solved by drinking apple juice. It's not completely primal, but probably less of a cheat than Gatorade.

atmrun is offline Junior Member
    I used to get calf cramps nightly when I was running every day. I took electrolytes, potassium pills, stretched, yoga, pretty much anything I could think of. Last year, I was talking to a running store owner after doing a long run with the DCRR club, he told me about "The Stick" It's a segmented stick you use to roll over your muscles. I have one had one calf cramp since then and it was b/c I let my mom borrow the stick for a week. I have since bought another one for myself and all my friends have them too. Best tool for cramps ever.

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    I have gotten them bad too... but I take potassium pills and they seem to go away...
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Mine have come back now despite taking my magnesium daily. =[ I could either blame it on doing more strength training and not stretching often, or not eating avocado as much as I was before (they're reasonably high in potassium and I had been eating half of one almost every day).

Although the scientist part of me would like to figure out exactly what the cause is, the part who wakes up in the middle of the night in pain doesn't appreciate that so much. So I'm bringing the avocados back into my diet AND stretching every day. If that doesn't work, I suppose I'll get a potassium supplement.

Primal Ranger is offline Member
    Sounds like classic dehydration. I'd suggest take a short break at the 5 mile mark and get in a few good gulps of water or some water mixed with gatorade, 50/50 mix. I'm pretty sure that will fix it.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    Mine have come back now despite taking my magnesium daily. =[ I could either blame it on doing more strength training and not stretching often, or not eating avocado as much as I was before (they're reasonably high in potassium and I had been eating half of one almost every day).
    Perhaps track a bit in dailyburn.com or nutritiondata.com

Potassium needs are typically a minimum of 3500 mg per day but are closely tied to Na intake and Kcal intake. I'm often suprised by how much potassium I miss if I'm not actively working on it. Same for magnesium.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast