Thread: First day! - Question about total fat consumption. page

greatcod is offline Junior Member

First day! - Question about total fat consumption.

Shop Now
    Today was my first 100% primal day- and I have to admit, I'm a little freaked out. I tracked my eating using livestrong, and was horrified to see that although I only consumed 1600 calories, I have eaten 112 grams of fat. Is this normal, or way over the mark? Help!

It came from a tablespoon of olive oil (or so) on a salad with lunch, and 3/4 of an avocado split over lunch and dinner (among other things), including an egg, half a ribeye, and a few strips of bacon. I had lots of veggies too, but they are obviously not the source of this crazy high fat count. Thoughts?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Fat is awesome. Learn to love it.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Its very normal to hit 50 or 60% of total calories with fat.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Do not fear the fat. Embrace it.

You proved Mark's big point about fat. It's hard to over consume in calories when you eat a lot of fat.

Relax and enjoy!

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the others. On average I hit about 50-60%. It might be scary, if you just started, read more about good fats (especially saturated!) and their importance (here on MDA or elsewhere), hope it will put your mind at ease.

BigJilm is offline Senior Member
    Eat it up.

If you're like me, you'll feel full more and more, so you need to eat the fat to ensure you get enough calories based on your BMR.
    I'll be back

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    112 grams of fat is in the low range of my common daily intake haha.
    Well, I consume much more calories than you however.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I know it's like nothing we've ever been 'taught' about eating healthy, but it's true about good fats. You will feel fuller, have more energy and will be able to stick with this program if you do as advised. The problem is you cannot mix it up with conventional foods, i.e., chips, crackers, not even a little bit or you will gain weight. I've lost 20 lbs since reading Mark's book the last wk in April and would have never believed that could happen by eating butter, steaks, uncured bacon, avocados, macadamia & other nuts. Plus you stay in a fantastic mood and sleep great, can't beat that.