Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help me with a fun form of exercise? :) page

Colibri is offline Junior Member

Can anyone help me with a fun form of exercise? :)

At the moment, I am doing Wing Chun once a week and do bodyweight strength training 3x a week. I don't do cardio or sprint sessions, because I get some form of cardio in the kung fu classes and when doing the exercises. I walk to most places, too.

I find that the bodyweight exercises are well, boring. I love calisthenics, love the idea of using your own body as a form of resistance and will always go back to them but the same routine 3x a week is just a drag. I have some days where I cannot wait to get under the bar and will put all my effort into the reps but more often than not, I get bored. This is probably the reason I change routine every 2 or so weeks because I am constantly looking for something new and have a constant thought in the back of my head that the programming is bad. I know if I keep one routine up and stay consistent, I'll see results - but it isn't fun.

I do need a bit of play too. While I have friends, I don't have a huge social life and they're all away working or spending time on the couch, while I am unemployed and try to make the most of my time jobless.

I've dabbled the following in the past few years:

• Jogging (C25K) - fun
    • Tae Kwon Do - fun
    • Capoeira - fun
    • Parkour (fun)
    • Wing Chun Kung Fu - fun

Ideally, I would like to look good naked (don't we all ) and get stronger, but the most important thing is movement and play. I'm a big fan of MovNat, Exuberant Animal (thanks Lewis) and well, having fun.

Current stats are 5'8", 155~lbs, 15% BF. Would love to be 160lbs with 10-12%~ bf. Thinking of just hitting the iron 3x a week and go look for recreation sport around my area too (ultimate frisbee anyone?)

What do you guys think?
    "Strong, healthy, happy and free. Our default state, if we trust and respect nature." - Erwan Le Corre

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Bench pressing little kids is always a pretty good form of exercise. And as a bonus, you will always go to failure (since their capacity for the game exceeds your own).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Bench pressing little kids is always a pretty good form of exercise. And as a bonus, you will always go to failure (since their capacity for the game exceeds your own).
    I do have a little brother, but he's a bit on the big side. I think he'd be my 1 rep max unfortunately ;D Gotta get him primal!

Last edited by Colibri; 06-19-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    "Strong, healthy, happy and free. Our default state, if we trust and respect nature." - Erwan Le Corre

PrimalKid is offline Junior Member
    Parkour...... 'nuff said!

I did like parkour. In a perfect world, I'd be active every day. Capoeira, wing chun, parkour, some walking, swimming, etc.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Crossfit. If you can find a good box you get a great workout that will never bore you... it's also a great place to make friends and meet people.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Try strongman training or sandbag lifting (both of which can be done for free). But first you need to stick to something and get your head around the idea that routine is pretty important sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Crossfit. If you can find a good box you get a great workout that will never bore you... it's also a great place to make friends and meet people.
    Crossfit is way too expensive here, and there's only one box in my location Thanks though!

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Try strongman training or sandbag lifting (both of which can be done for free). But first you need to stick to something and get your head around the idea that routine is pretty important sometimes.
    Free strongman training? Also yeah, I do understand the importance of routine - without a doubt. It's just that the form of exercise I do is just not enjoyable - I aim to fix that

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Or you can look up the crossfit website for inspiration for workouts, and do them yourself without paying the ridiculous monthly prices

Edit: whoops, did not see the op's reply. Well, I think it's still applicable advice

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's entirely possible to construct a very effective strongman training session using tyres, rocks, logs and sandbags - most of which can be obtained for free.

My site has some sandbag ideas - you could also take a look on EliteFTS for some more inspiration.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast