Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have I got it Dialled or just gone INSANE? page

destructalux is offline Senior Member

Have I got it Dialled or just gone INSANE?

Primal Fuel
    The most eff'ed up science I have ever come across would have to be exercise/nutrition/health/well being.

A few months back my dad was killed in a motorbike accident. Now the last few months I seem to have dialled into somewhat fitness fanatic mode, wanting to be as strong and fit as possible so I am alive for a long time to come. Yet alot of what I read conflicts with what I'm doing and makes me wonder if I need to change my program training wise.

I like to do weighted workouts, I have a nice little gym setup in my shed with dumbells, barbell, 2 benches, dip station, chinup bar and thats about it.

My usual weekly program is:

monday - chest/shoulders
    tuesday - biceps
    wednesay - triceps
    thursday - back
    friday - shoulders
    saturday - legs
    sunday - abs

workouts are generally 30-45 mins. sometimes up to 60.

So far I'm down 15kgs (33lbs) in the last 14 weeks and, and am making noticeable strength and muscle gains. Yet alot of what i read says I'm doing too much.

In addition, I gave up drinking alcohol and smoking, and do non-chronic walks/boxing/cycling sessions 3-5 times a week, so yes my body is probably going WTF!!!!!

So does anyone else workout like this and maintain good results? Am I doing too much? Have I gone insane?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Keep going until you plateau, then reevaluate. Some people have a better tolerance for exercise than others.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    losing body fat is one thing, lifting for fanatical pleasure /endorphin rush is another, but...

as an actual strength training and/or muscle building program, this is too much.

pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Also, the fact that you have just recently lost your father; add the obvious stress of this to the stress of over-training... I would suggest you back off and get some rest days in where you adopt some sort of stress conversion exercises.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I disagree with the last 2 posters. If you were doing full body workouts everyday I would say you're doing to much, but because you have it split up so much your muscles are getting the rest they need.

I'm not going to say it's an "optimal" program but it's obviously working for you. I say keep it up until you hate it or it hates you.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    federkeil is on the money here. Split routines do allow people to train more frequently. But, if your main goal is to be fit and strong then it probably isn't the best choice going.

What exercises are you doing on each day?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdjesson View Post
    Also, the fact that you have just recently lost your father
    When my father died, I finally started to lose weight after being a behemoth for 10 years. It has all stayed off. Not all change brought about by death is bad.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    I disagree with the last 2 posters. If you were doing full body workouts everyday I would say you're doing to much, but because you have it split up so much your muscles are getting the rest they need.

I'm not going to say it's an "optimal" program but it's obviously working for you. I say keep it up until you hate it or it hates you.
    This...you could do less days and more full body stuff, but since you have a split going you can do this. I use to do something similar with a "body part a day" thing right after college. Quite bodybuildingesque. The no smoking and drinking is probably a huge part of your new superhuman status

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by destructalux View Post
    The most eff'ed up science I have ever come across would have to be exercise/nutrition/health/well being.

A few months back my dad was killed in a motorbike accident. Now the last few months I seem to have dialled into somewhat fitness fanatic mode, wanting to be as strong and fit as possible so I am alive for a long time to come. Yet alot of what I read conflicts with what I'm doing and makes me wonder if I need to change my program training wise.

I like to do weighted workouts, I have a nice little gym setup in my shed with dumbells, barbell, 2 benches, dip station, chinup bar and thats about it.
    I just want to say. The dip rack will destroy ur shoulders. Having ur arms go behind u like that puts lots of stress on them.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    I just want to say. The dip rack will destroy ur shoulders. Having ur arms go behind u like that puts lots of stress on them.
    Um no it won't.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast