Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you go semi-primal? page

CoconutLover is offline Junior Member

Question Can you go semi-primal?

Hi, I stumbled across this lifestyle while researching low carb regimes, primarily as I had reached a weight loss plateau. It seems to make sense but I'm not sure I can adjust my diet so drastically. Over the last month I have tried to make some changes based on the primal rules. Before I was eating breakfast: cereal and two pieces of wholemeal toast, lunch:a wholemeal sandwich (protein filling) and another bit of wholemeal toast and a standard dinner with carbs and protein. I kept empty calorie snacks to a minimum but did have weak moments sometimes. After working out at the gym I'd have pitta bread and hummus. My weight was 12st 7 pounds from December until May this year (I'm 6ft.07), down from 13st, 5pounds the previous year-I lost 12 pounds in 8 months from a combination of exercise and getting ill on a trip abroad. I had never gone above 11stone 5 pounds until I took a medication that caused problems with my metabolism and thyroid-I'm now off it. It's my goal to get back to about 11 and a half stone and I changed my breakfast to: one piece of wholemeal bread and either 2 quorn sausages, 2 pieces of bacon or an omelet made from 2 eggs with cheese/ham all cooked in olive oil. Also a small bowl of sugar free museli (even though I know it's not allowed) as I often wake up very hungry and need something before waiting for the other bits to cook, plus an apple. Lunch: A sandwich made from 2 pieces of wholemeal bread with cheese or meat filling. Sometimes a couple of riveta crackers with hummus or philadelphia if I'm still hungry. Dinner is the same as before as I eat with family, although I try to avoid too much bread or pasta. After I work out I have riveta crackers with hummus or philadelphia rather than pitta bread. I think I'm in the weight maintenance carb range as I must be eating at least 100g but less than 150mg. Since I'm still having less carbs than before though I thought it would help my weight and health. Having eaten like this for the last month I've lost 7lb of weight but according to the gym fat measuring scales gained 4.5lb of fat?! This is up from 26% to 30% even though I look the same. I know these scales aren't always accurate but they have consistently showed a slow reduction from 31.7% and 26kg at my heaviest to 26% and 20.6kg last month at 12stone, 7pounds. Now apparently I'm 11stone, 13pounds but with a fat mass of 22.7kg and 30%. I'm confused as to whether the way I'm eating is doing me good or not, I'd like to do the primal plan properly but I don't like many vegetables or salads and I love carbs so am not sure I can cut them down low enough. What I'm asking really is whether it's better to up protein and fat and cut carbs a bit or if I can't stick to a low enough carb intake abandon the plan altogether. I'm happy to be closer to my weight target but really concerned about the apparent fat gain! Sorry for the long post, I hope someone more experienced can tell me if there's anything simple I can do to improve things. Exercise wise I do 2-3 gym work outs with weights then 20mins cardio a week and 30mins-1 hour of walking most days.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    You're kidding, right?

Sure, you can go semi-primal. Sounds to me that you're about 1% primal. So there you are.

Love how you're so blunt there. Maybe it's a cultural thing but I'd appreciate some non-patronizing advice.

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutLover View Post
    Love how you're so blunt there. Maybe it's a cultural thing but I'd appreciate some non-patronizing advice.
    Why don't you read the Primal Blueprint, or peruse some of the articles on the site here? Your diet as configured is not going to win many fans who are currently Primal, although the PB can be tailored and personalized to some degree.

Do you require a hug as well?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Why don't you read the Primal Blueprint, or peruse some of the articles on the site here? Your diet as configured is not going to win many fans who are currently Primal, although the PB can be tailored and personalized to some degree.

Do you require a hug as well?
    at the very least, paragraph breaks.

am not sure why you're asking this. you're eating mountains of grain.

if you up fats and proteins, while keeping all that bread, you will gain weight. and fat.

the end.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    at the very least, paragraph breaks.
    Amen.

I've read quite a bit of the blueprint and articles, it just seems complicated and I'm not clear exactly what is and isn't allowed-or how to adapt it to my lifestyle. I'm not looking for fans, just people who aren't fascist, smug or competitive about eating to share what works for them.

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    I think the other folks are just trying to say: try the "Start Here" button at the top of the forum.

You're missing some key parts of going primal, whether full-out primal or semi-primal. Bread is not a staple around here - and you seem to have it for every meal. Many people see great results by cutting that and other wheat products out entirely, along with heavily processed foods like fake meat. I suggest reading through the basic info on Primal, not just the carb amounts in grams, but also the quality of food and what is recommended.

If going full primal is daunting, start changing one meal a day. If you don't want to cut back too much on carbs, use some potato or sweet potato for starch or eat some fruit.
    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutLover View Post
    Okay~ your entire diet is based on grains. Primal is NO grains. At all. It's sort of like being semi-vegan. Contradiction in terms.

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast