Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you go semi-primal? page 2

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    ditching grains and crap oils is the start. eat real whole foods. plenty of protein, healthy fats, veg, fruits. that's it. it's not complicated, nor is it fascist.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

CoconutLover is offline Junior Member
    Yes but I've cut the bread I eat from 5-6 pieces to 3. It might still be too much but for me that's progress. I've upped protein but not fat and lost weight, but thanks for the contribution anyway and sorry for the lack of paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutLover View Post
    Yes but I've cut the bread I eat from 5-6 pieces to 3. It might still be too much but for me that's progress. I've upped protein but not fat and lost weight, but thanks for the contribution anyway and sorry for the lack of paragraphs.
    Three a day?

I suppose cutting back from 5 packs of cigarettes a day to 3 would also represent progress. Try going a month eating no bread and see how that works.

If that's too fascist, then keep trying to cut back slowly. Noodletoy gave you the basic prescription though.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i was a starch fiend in a former life. i loved grains but they did not love me back. after ditching them almost 3 years ago my health has improved dramatically. i had no idea how sick my "healthy" diet was actually making me.

let go.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Thanks Jen, I didn't realise grains were banned full stop, I thought if it was in the carb weight loss range it was OK. The reason for the fake meat is I was scared of reports on the dangers of eating too much red meat-but I know I eat too much processed food and bread. It's just how everyone I know eats and I wasn't aware there was an alternative until I found this site. I also don't get how I've gained fat when I've lost weight from eating less carbs.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Primal is not complicated AT ALL. You make it as complicated as you want to.

To eat Primal:
    - Eat vegetables (non-starchy if you want to lose weight or have a sweet potato if after a workout), cooked/drizzled with fat. You can also have some berries too.
    - Eat fatty cuts of meat, if lean meats or eggs, cook in fat.

You can get by with these two steps in the beginning. Then you can tweak as you get more comfortable.

Recommendation:
    -Eat the above prescribed when you are hungry. Only eat when you are physically hungry. If you are hungry when you first wake up and can't wait to eat until your breakfast is cooked, keep some pealed boiled eggs and chopped veggies in the fridge. Much better than your granola (IMO). There are many people that have food journals on here. My meals are generally VERY simple, but taste great (IMO )

-If you want to start slow, then change one meal per day for 1 week. Then the following week, change two meals, and so on. Instead of having a whole slice of bread 3 times per day, maybe try cutting down to 1/2 slice 3 times per day, then 1/4 slice 3 times per day, then none.

- Get your fats in. It really helped me with the bread and salty food cravings. I don't think I would have been successful had I not consumed a lot of fat. I can tolerate dairy, so at the beginning, I used a lot of butter. Avocados are high in fat and good source for carbs.

I personally jumped right in (even though I was very intimidated) but for me it worked. Yes, it was difficult in the beginning, but you need to be prepared ahead of time. If you don't have food prepped ahead of time, you will go for convenience (bread, granola, high carb fruits - because these require no time to prepare). I recommend that you boil up some eggs, cook some bacon (or other meat) and pre-chop low-carb veggies. That way, when hunger strikes, it's a matter of putting the already prepared foods on a plate and eating. Just as convenient as the other high-carb/processed foods that you are eating.

Hopefully this helped some.

Cheers,
    Jennifer
    Last edited by Metric; 06-19-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    Starting Weight: 208 lbs
    Current Weight: 166.8 lbs

Thanks noodletoy and Finnegans wake, I have felt hungry cutting down on bread but probably as I haven't done it properly and eaten enough protein/vegetables to make up for it. I do feel better from eating protein in the morning. Also when I'm not able to sit down to a proper lunch it's hard to avoid having a sandwich-will try and get into a salad/smoothie instead.

Thanks Jen, I didn't realise grains were banned full stop, I thought if it was in the carb weight loss range it was OK. The reason for the fake meat is I was scared of reports on the dangers of eating too much red meat-but I know I eat too much processed food and bread. It's just how everyone I know eats and I wasn't aware there was an alternative until I found this site. I also don't get how I've gained fat when I've lost weight from eating less carbs.
    Seriously, the first PB book is not expensive, and it's as good a general guide to diet and lifestyle as I've found. It's worth your while to clear up misconceptions like conflating Primal with low-carb, thinking a few grains per day is OK, and irrational fear of red meat in the diet. In fact, here's a quick takedown of the red meat issue.

If you learn anything from visiting these forums, I would hope that it would be to hone your analytical skills, to understand how to read epidemiological data, and so on.

There was a time when I was eating "healthfully," a loaf of bread a week, two servings of pasta, a pizza, some rice... now if I have one serving of those foods per week as a splurge, it's noteworthy.

Thanks Jennifer, some of the slip ups were from lack of preparation.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    ^ That's good advice from Metric.

By all means ease yourself in gently but be realistic regarding what your end-goals are. Some people here do find eating pizza once a week doesn't cause any issues once they are happy with their body composition and health, others have to be very strict about avoiding gluten grains. Some people do best staying low carb, others do better eating moderate levels of carbs. Some do fine eating some forms of dairy while others have to avoid it completely.

Bear in mind that we get a lot of threads along these lines, hence the nature of some of the responses.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast