Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ouch! page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    If ROM is good and it hurts only against weight it sounds like a mild-moderate strain (just limited educated guess from your posts). May take a couple weeks, but you should see steady improvement. Good luck!

Ukprimalchick is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Ukprimalchick, don't use the shoulder in lifting, no matter how badly you'd like to get back to your routine. Rest the shoulder instead. Also, as much as I generally try to avoid NSAIDs, I would definitely take ibuprofen regularly for about a week if I was you (not necessary of course, but helpful).

In your first post you said you hurt your deltoid. That certainly could be, but it's not likely. More likely is that you injured one of the smaller muscles under your deltoid. These are the rotator cuff muscles, and they're pretty easily/commonly injured (the supraspinatus and subscapularis in particular are often injured by athletes). With the rotator cuff, injuries can be anything from a mild inflammation or strain, to a partial or even complete tear. In addition with the shoulder, bursitis is a possibility (where the bursa that protects the tendons of the rotator cuff becomes inflamed or injured).

Anyway, all that to say that there's a lot going on in the shoulder and it's really impossible to know what's happening just from you telling us about it. The important thing to understand though is that most of the time these injuries have a lot to do with inflammation and general irritation to some particular small muscle/tendon -- and the best thing you can possibly do in these cases is to rest the muscle/tendon, and get the inflammation to go away (which will happen if you just let it heal).

If you really want to know exactly what happened, then you have to get imaging of the shoulder done (an xray or mri).
    Last edited by ciep; 06-23-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Ukprimalchick is offline Junior Member
    I can't take NSAIDS regularly, the odd time is ok but if I try to take them regularly I get terrible gastric pain. It's a shame because I do prefer them for pain relief, I find them the most effective thing. I'm resting my shoulder now, I promise. No more lifting for the time being. If I am pain free by the end of next week, which will be 10 days or so since the injury, would it seem reasonable to try again then? I am totally paranoid that if I don't do the work, I will wake up 84 pounds heavier in the morning

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Lol, common paranoia! 10 days of rest are not going to fatten you up though. Eat primal foods and recover. Plus you can be as active as you like during your shoulder recovery. Rest the shoulder, use the rest of the body as much as you want!

And yeah, if NSAIDs bother your stomach then absolutely avoid them, obviously. They're not necessary at all, just an optional way to temper the pain and start lowering the inflammation a bit.

Good luck Uk!

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    Lol, common paranoia! 10 days of rest are not going to fatten you up though. Eat primal foods and recover. Plus you can be as active as you like during your shoulder recovery. Rest the shoulder, use the rest of the body as much as you want!
    When I first hurt my shoulder, I used the time as an opportunity to improve my pistols. Sometimes picking a goal to achieve while recovering can help you to not feel like you're losing any progress!
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12