Thread: Opposing views on PWO nutrition page

stumprrp is offline Member

Opposing views on PWO nutrition

Hey guys,

GREAT board btw. Lots of great information on here. Now I am not 100% primal although i am trying to be. I'm doing sort of a half primal half carb-backloading deal, trying to lower my BW to 220 for powerlifting purposes. Our workouts arent the ordinary, as they are extremely heavy and taxing.

It seems alot of the members here dont feel that PWO isnt as important as its made out to be and i tend to disagree with this. I do alot of research and most if not all of the sources stress that a quick acting protein/amino/carb based meal/shake is needed within 30 minutes, then again in an hour. For myself ill eat carbs all night until bed on a workout day.

I know as far as my protein powder ive been using Hydrolized Isolate per John Kiefers request, aka the author of carb backloading. I now know how processed and basically bad that protein is for you so i'm going to switch to grass-fed undenatured whey concentrate. I think i will continue using Rilose which is simply rice sugar for some quick carbs.

What are everyones views on this? any other primal powerlifters?

-Rob

Bioletti is offline Member
    Good luck with that one here Stumprrp. I posted a new thread requesting PRIMAL advice, so far 50 views, 0 replies. Hopefully some addicted 24/7 poster will discover us soon? Be patient.
    "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumprrp View Post
    Hey guys,

GREAT board btw. Lots of great information on here. Now I am not 100% primal although i am trying to be. I'm doing sort of a half primal half carb-backloading deal, trying to lower my BW to 220 for powerlifting purposes. Our workouts arent the ordinary, as they are extremely heavy and taxing.

It seems alot of the members here dont feel that PWO isnt as important as its made out to be and i tend to disagree with this. I do alot of research and most if not all of the sources stress that a quick acting protein/amino/carb based meal/shake is needed within 30 minutes, then again in an hour. For myself ill eat carbs all night until bed on a workout day.

I know as far as my protein powder ive been using Hydrolized Isolate per John Kiefers request, aka the author of carb backloading. I now know how processed and basically bad that protein is for you so i'm going to switch to grass-fed undenatured whey concentrate. I think i will continue using Rilose which is simply rice sugar for some quick carbs.

What are everyones views on this? any other primal powerlifters?

-Rob
    My SO is fond of raw goat's milk for PWO (she's experimented with a whole gamut of PWO meals/drinks/shakes, and this seems to be her favorite; fwiw, she's been powerlifting for nearly ten years). That being said, she has done without and hasn't experienced adverse effects from having done so. Also, it's the first thing to go if she's dropping weight for weigh-ins.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I no longer take PWO anything, or even PWO meals. I am doing fine and maintaining and gaining muscle just as I did before. In fact, I definitely do not believe in the protein requirements of 1-2 grams per lean bodyweight. That is completely bogus in my opinion, at least for the regular person that wants to be fit. It might apply to body builders. Some days I might get 60g and others I might get 100. I normally don't even get close to what I should be getting for 155 pound male.

CourtTuttle is offline Junior Member
    Hey Rob, have you ever tried it with whole food? I've always been a lifter and before I discovered primal/paleo I always used post-workout recovery shakes. To be honest, that was one of the hardest things to give up because they always seemed to work great - well, they did work great.

Eventually I decided that I wanted to get leaner and realized that for me, I was having a lot of appetite control issues. Through my self-testing I discovered that artificial sweeteners were driving up my appetite. Doesn't sound like this is a problem for you - bear with me. Because of that, I decided to just try out eating whole food in my post workout meals. I switched to different combinations of whole eggs, ground meats, sweet potatoes, and bananas.

According to mountains of 'research' I had read, this stuff shouldn't work as well as quick-acting PWO shakes. But, it's actually worked really well for me. In my opinion, it's worked just as well as before.

I'm not a power lifter - I don't compete or anything. But, I've gotten pretty strong this way and have also gotten leaner so I'm stronger at a lower weight:

Weight: 192-195
    Back squat: 405
    Front squat: 355
    Bench press: 315
    Should press: 195

The main problem with eating whole food PWO is that it takes time to prepare it. Honestly, it's a hassle. PWO shakes were so easy. For that reason, I use mainly boiled whole eggs and bananas. I know that it doesn't really add up if you look at the research of quick acting PWO but it works great for me.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    I no longer take PWO anything, or even PWO meals. I am doing fine and maintaining and gaining muscle just as I did before. In fact, I definitely do not believe in the protein requirements of 1-2 grams per lean bodyweight. That is completely bogus in my opinion, at least for the regular person that wants to be fit. It might apply to body builders. Some days I might get 60g and others I might get 100. I normally don't even get close to what I should be getting for 155 pound male.
    interesting take. I might toy with this, in the immediate future.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you feel like eating primarily carbs PWO, do it! After my workout today, I had 2.5 pounds of potatoes/sweet potatoes, a smoothie with fruit and coconut milk, a bowl of sprouted brown rice porridge (with maple syrup, grass-fed butter, and 85% dark chocolate), and a bag of dried mangoes. At the moment, I'm finishing off a bowl of fruit with coconut milk and a glass of orange juice.

I'm aiming for around 3,000 - 3,500 calories today. From what I've seen, total calories and quality of food are much more important than macronutrient ratios (fat vs. protein vs. carbs). Since you're a powerlifter, you're probably going to need somewhere in the neighborhood of 4,000 - 5,000 calories per day, possibly more. I would definitely recommend that you do get some quality protein in your diet -- either in the form of meat, fish, and eggs, or a high-quality protein powder that does NOT contain artificial/synthetic sweeteners or additives.