Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to improve fat metabolism page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    Ok cool. I think I'll start with the 12-hr than, and since my breakfast consists of just scrambled eggs and bacon I think I should still be forced into metabolizing fat for energy. Right? I mean it seems logical but that doesn't mean it's right ...

I just want to start seeing some of the good benefits I hear everyone else talking about. The only thing I've seen so far is clearing up of a relatively minor (but gross) digestive issue I had. After 9 months and a total change in my entire diet, I thought I'd see more dramatic results!!
    You could easily go for more than 12 hours if you wanted by including your sleep as a part of the fasting period. It would look something like this: Breakfast at 10:00 AM. Dinner at 5:00 PM. Snacks in between if you like. Be done eating by 6:00 PM. That's an eight hour window of eating. The rest of the day (and night), you don't eat. Boom, 16 hours.

Just a suggestion.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    You could easily go for more than 12 hours if you wanted by including your sleep as a part of the fasting period. It would look something like this: Breakfast at 10:00 AM. Dinner at 5:00 PM. Snacks in between if you like. Be done eating by 6:00 PM. That's an eight hour window of eating. The rest of the day (and night), you don't eat. Boom, 16 hours.

Just a suggestion.
    Good suggestion, for sure. I wish I could make our schedules work with it, but my husband doesn't get home til 7:00-8:00 so that kind of throws a wrench in things. I could just skip breakfast and do lunch at 1:00pm, dinner at 8:00pm. Same amount of time as 10:00am and 5:00pm. But I am a grumpypants when I don't have breakfast. We shall see, I'll try breakfast/dinner first and if that doesn't work, then try lunch/dinner only.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Have you had any history of fatigue before switching to primal eating? The reason I'masking is because your low energy may not be caused by diet, though diet could be inadvertently contributing to it. I just recently read a fascinating paper on chronic fatigue that discusses the role of inefficient ATP conversion in the mitochondria. If this is at the root of your fatigue, there are some supplements that are shown to help the mitochondria function better and produce energy more efficiently. One ofthe most important ones mentioned was d-Ribose, in addition to carnitine, coQ10, and a few others. I'm experimenting with these now to see if I can improve my own fatigue. That paper did mention that consuming glucose in the form of starches is beneficial, which was why I said it's possible that diet could be a factor, if not a cause. That paper is linked below:

CFS - The Central Cause: Mitochondrial Failure - DoctorMyhill

CFS - The Methylation Cycle - DoctorMyhill

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Have you had any history of fatigue before switching to primal eating? The reason I'masking is because your low energy may not be caused by diet, though diet could be inadvertently contributing to it. I just recently read a fascinating paper on chronic fatigue that discusses the role of inefficient ATP conversion in the mitochondria. If this is at the root of your fatigue, there are some supplements that are shown to help the mitochondria function better and produce energy more efficiently. One ofthe most important ones mentioned was d-Ribose, in addition to carnitine, coQ10, and a few others. I'm experimenting with these now to see if I can improve my own fatigue. That paper did mention that consuming glucose in the form of starches is beneficial, which was why I said it's possible that diet could be a factor, if not a cause. That paper is linked below:

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    Good suggestion, for sure. I wish I could make our schedules work with it, but my husband doesn't get home til 7:00-8:00 so that kind of throws a wrench in things. I could just skip breakfast and do lunch at 1:00pm, dinner at 8:00pm. Same amount of time as 10:00am and 5:00pm. But I am a grumpypants when I don't have breakfast. We shall see, I'll try breakfast/dinner first and if that doesn't work, then try lunch/dinner only.
    You don't have to eat on your husband's schedule you know. You could make dinner and then leave him some for when he comes home. If you're worried about getting some time to talk with him/be social, just make time to sit with him when he eats his meal.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I would say you are not eating enough fat even with what you listed, assuming you do not have any underlying medical issues. I would eat a bigger breakfast, in fact I would double it. If you are not trying to loose weight add some fruit during the day, but more fat in the mornings and a bigger meal made my life easier as I started this.

I have 4 to 6 slices bacon and 4 eggs, fried in the bacon fat and a cup of coffee with some honey and 2 times a week, 2 tbl spoons of butter in the coffee though cream will work too. The fat keeps you running even hungry and forces you to switch to fats, I suspect it forces the issue faster than a low fat diet.

Also grams of veggies does not equal grams of carbs, there is water in there so chow down on the veggies a lot more, you wont go over 50 g a day unless you add rice/tubers or a lot of fruit.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post

Yes I've always had some issues with fatigue, all the way back to when I was sick at the age of 16 with mono. 14 years later, I would get up on a Saturday morning after 9 hours of sleep, eat a "good" breakfast of Fiber-One with skim milk and blueberries ... and an hour later be so tired I could hardly mope through easy housework like vacuuming. After reading up quite a bit on primal diets (Taubes, etc.) I was hopeful that forcing my body to switch over to fat metabolism would really help with that. Sadly I've not seen any improvement, although I have some good suggestions today about trying fasting - - which I plan to try out soon.

I've read a bit about chronic fatigue and I even bought D-ribose. I saw a big improvement at first, so much so that it seemed nearly miraculous. Then by the end of the second week the effect started to go away, and now I hardly see any difference at all on the rare occasion that I try taking any. I'm going to read through these articles you linked to though, because they almost certainly contain some new info I've not read yet. It does seem like there's something missing in the chain of chemical reactions that occur when our body reaches into its stored energy and then takes some out to fuel activity. It's like the logs are all sitting there in a pile, and I really need to dump them in that fire so I can get enough heat out, but for some reason I can't get the log from the pile to the fire. So I just sit there with plenty of logs and a fire that's barely burning. Annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    I would say you are not eating enough fat even with what you listed, assuming you do not have any underlying medical issues. I would eat a bigger breakfast, in fact I would double it. If you are not trying to loose weight add some fruit during the day, but more fat in the mornings and a bigger meal made my life easier as I started this.

I have 4 to 6 slices bacon and 4 eggs, fried in the bacon fat and a cup of coffee with some honey and 2 times a week, 2 tbl spoons of butter in the coffee though cream will work too. The fat keeps you running even hungry and forces you to switch to fats, I suspect it forces the issue faster than a low fat diet.

Also grams of veggies does not equal grams of carbs, there is water in there so chow down on the veggies a lot more, you wont go over 50 g a day unless you add rice/tubers or a lot of fruit.
    I think I'm going to try doing 12-hour fasts and just eat breakfast and dinner at 8:00/8:00 ... so I'll def try to increase the size of both meals. It is seriously hard to eat more than 2 scrambled eggs! I think I can do 3 but 4 ... OMG. Eggs are so filling! And I do try to get lots of good fats in all my meals, although I can't go too crazy b/c my hubby doesn't have a gallbladder anymore and has trouble metabolizing anything too fatty. He's sitting there carefully slicing the fat out of the rack of lamb, and then there's me on the other side of the table gnawing every bit off the bone like a cavewoman. Ha ha ha. I suppose I can always dump more butter on everything though. I seriously LOVE butter. Sometimes I cut little curls off with a knife and eat it plain.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The nausea usually hits me late afternoon, like 5ish when I can't get home to eat dinner til more like 7ish. A small snack like a dozen almonds does seem to help with it. The weakness/dizzyness doesn't usually hit until I try to do something active, like a brisk walk uphill or climbing stairs. Then it's like trying to move underwater. All I can think of is that my body just isn't converting stored fat into energy very well, and I can't figure out where the sticking point is.
    If you like butter, try keeping a tbsp or two and have that at 4:30 pm. being pure fat it will not interrupt your fast the way other food would, if fasting is what you need. I would just try another meal about 4 pm, like a couple of eggs and some cucumber. I know it is contradictory to the whole 'FAST!" advice, but you can try both, and see what works.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

apfrancis is offline Junior Member
    If you had problems with fatigue even with sugar and carbs added, and you have problems with fatigue without sugar and carbs, it seems like there are a few possible explanations. One is that your fatigue is unrelated to your diet, in which case perhaps a professional could help with diagnoses of a medical disorder. The other thing I can think of is a food allergy. I have heard others on the forum talk about elimination diets where you subtract certain foods and record your results.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast