Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are omega 3 fish oils really that healthy? page

fiercehunter is offline Banned

are omega 3 fish oils really that healthy?

Primal Fuel
    I've been arguing on another forum that fish oil is dangerous due to being a source of PUFA and therefore pro aging but no one seems to agree with me. I'm wondering if any long time fish oil users would like to step forward and tell us all the great things that fish oil has done for your health. Be specific.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Fish oil is great for anti-inflammatory purposes, but I disagree with mega-dosing it like some people suggest. It IS a PUFA as you say, and as such, is more readily subject to oxidizing. As you probably, know, for that reason, mega doses can be dangerous. Rather than worrying about getting large doses of it, just trying to balance it out with your omega-6 numbers is probably plenty.

My opinion? There are those that do not get enough omega-3 fats in their diet, and there are those that get too MUCH omega-3 fat in their diet. It's all about balance.

I found this link to have some interesting information on the topic:

The Painful Truth About Omega 3 Fatty Acids

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    The big reason that they are so popular is because people overload on o-6 and the o-3 counteracts the inflammation caused by the over abundance of the o-6.
    It's like if someone keeps kicking you in the ass. You put a pad in your pants to make it not hurt so much instead of just turning around and beating the shit out the person kicking you in the ass. They are still kicking you in the ass, it's just blunted some.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    It's far more healthier to avoid O6 sources in the first place. Much easier said than done, though!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    The big reason that they are so popular is because people overload on o-6 and the o-3 counteracts the inflammation caused by the over abundance of the o-6.
    It's like if someone keeps kicking you in the ass. You put a pad in your pants to make it not hurt so much instead of just turning around and beating the shit out the person kicking you in the ass. They are still kicking you in the ass, it's just blunted some.
    !!

I see this with my special-needs daughter. She has lived a strict diet for 6 years now that closely matches the Primal, but it didn't address the o-6 overload thing. THAT I learned from the Primal. Since I have been doing the Primal, and her diet is so close, I just adjusted her fats to match mine - easier cooking that way. She does a concentrated o-3 (Carlson's Super DHA) regimen several times per year to boost her verbal / language ability (study done that showed improvement of her specific neuro issues by doing this), which it does.

So, I am steadily getting better at adjusting the fats in our daily food to align with Primal, she at the moment isn't on the DHA regimen, and - guess what?!?! - jump in verbal ability! Damn, if the Primal isn't right about the o-6 inflammation thing!

(And I know this isn't just in my head. My daughter's speech therapist has her concentration in rare SLP diagnoses and has always been a hard-core, chart-everything-on-paper type. We have a gentle-ladies' agreement that I tell her absolutely nothing about dietary / supplement / whatever changes beforehand so SHE doesn't skew her own data (she comes to me when my daughter's usual learning / ability curve heads north OR dips south and then we discuss), and I NEVER change more than one, single thing at a time so we are able to accurately determine effect.)

Eat fish, ditch the pills.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Eat fish, ditch the pills.
    Exactly, I don't understand why nearly everyone here takes fish oil. I love some daily fish
    Billie trips balls

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I'm sceptical about the benefits of fish oil supplements and have never taken them, but I love eating oily fish almost daily. That's mostly wild alaskan salmon, but also trout and sea bass. I feel such a health boost from eating it and when I'm away from home and can't access much fresh oily fish I really feel it. I can't tolerate eating much tinned fish, unfortunately.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I can't tolerate eating much tinned fish, unfortunately.
    I try to eat mostly fresh/frozen fish, but I do keep tins of King Oscar sardines at work as a snack. Just curious what the issue with canned fish is?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I try to eat mostly fresh/frozen fish, but I do keep tins of King Oscar sardines at work as a snack. Just curious what the issue with canned fish is?
    It's much higher in histamine and I have high levels and problems breaking it down. Histamine's what gives fish its fishy smell. I can't tolerate sardines and mackeral very well as they are higher in histamine.

I used to eat lots of tinned tuna and really miss it. I can eat it about once a week. I have to eat mostly fresh foods, and focus my fish intake on my evening meals as it can make me feel sleepy, induce an attack of cattarh or lower my blood pressure when consumed earlier in the day.

Nothing wrong with tinned fish for most folk though.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast