Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haven't lost weight in a year. Any advice? page

Drain Bead is offline Senior Member

Haven't lost weight in a year. Any advice?

Primal Fuel
    I started eating Primal in January of 2011, although I was sort of half-assing it starting in about October of 2010. From 10/10 to 7/11 I lost 50 pounds...and then it suddenly stopped. I've kept eating the same way I always did, but I saw no results on the scale, and my waist measurement actually went UP an inch.

I started exercising back in April/May, hoping that would help, and I've kept it up, but have only seen about a two pound weight loss since that time. Measurements haven't budged. I had my RMR tested twice during this time, and both times it came in at about 1960 calories (I'm 5'11" and 216 pounds, so I have a lot left to lose). When I track calories (I do this every day), I eat anywhere from 1700-2100 calories a day, depending on how hungry I am. I do have a relatively high-stress job, I am a very light sleeper with lots of waking up in the middle of the night, and I've tried to fix that (gave up caffeine, sleep in a dark room, taking magnesium supplements) but it doesn't seem to be helping. Melatonin doesn't help either.

I am about 8 days into a Whole30 (and was essentially eating 80/20 Primal before that), so I'm eating very cleanly as well, but it doesn't seem to be having an effect. My clothes fit the same and I look the same.

Any advice? I'd be glad to show you all several days worth of food logs if you want.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    What specifically are you eating? Could you give us a typical days food broken up in meals?

Drain Bead is offline Senior Member
    Here's one from last week:

Breakfast: 2 pastured eggs in bacon cups: 231 calories, 1g carb, 16 fat, 19 protein
    Lunch: 8 ounce grassfed beef burger with caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms (cooked in bacon grease), homemade garlic aioli, homemade baked sweet potato fries -- 879 calories, 30g carb, 68 fat, 43 protein
    Dinner: Pot roast with carrot and parsnip gravy, roasted asparagus, garlic aioli, 10 cherries. 753 calories, 30 carb, 39 fat, 56 protein.

And another:

Breakfast: Baked eggs in bacon cups -- 231 calories, 1 carb, 16 fat, 19 protein
    Lunch: Round tip roast with pears and onions, kale chips, cherries: 573 calories, 47 carb, 15 fat, 65 protein
    Dinner: Chorizo stuffed mini peppers, guacamole, roasted zucchini: 538 calories, 17 carb, 40 fat, 23 protein
    Snacks: Pork cracklins, kale chips: 143 calories, 7 carb, 9 fat, 10 protein

And here's a day where I ate a bit more--Father's Day, when I went to a party.

Breakfast: Two fried eggs over half a serving of paleo ropa vieja (basically a Latino grassfed beef stew with tomato, peppers, and olives) and mofongo (mashed plantains with garlic): 599 calories, 42 carb, 33 fat, 31 protein
    Lunch: About five ounces of flank steak, plus two tablespoons of garlic aioli. 440 calories, 0 carb, 37 fat, 30 protein
    Dinner: Cold sesame kelp noodles with cucumber, two salt and pepper bratwurst (ingredients are pork, water, salt, and pepper): 826 calories, 30 carb, 71 fat, 28 protein
    Snack: Half a bowl of homemade paleo chili: 262 calories, 7 carb, 14 fat, 27 protein

Today, so far, I've had a chorizo and sweet potato breakfast casserole (no dairy), and I packed a full serving of mofongo and ropa vieja for lunch (minus the fried eggs). Haven't yet planned dinner but it will likely be some pan-seared salmon with a green veggie of some sort, possibly a salad.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    What do your workouts look like?

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    IF and increased intensity on the exercise front have been the "goto" plateau busters for me.

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    The definition of insanity is repeating the same thing and expecting different results. You need to try something different. Set up several experiments and take detailed notes of how you feel, and logs of your body's progress. Scale is not as important, but feel free to log the numbers as results.

1.) Try ketosis; that means reducing your vegetable and fruit intake until you are easily under 50g of carbs per day. Your body will be forced to produce ketones and use them for energy, since it will not have much glucose available.
    2.) Try intermittent fasting; Keep your meals the same, just take one of them out. Skip breakfast everyday, and/or execute a twenty-four hour (or more if you can handle it) fast, once a week or so.
    3.) Stop fucking around with your workouts. When you go to the gym, you should be in there for about 30 mins. Tops. And you should be dead on the floor before you leave. Increase your weight, perfect your form, and make sure you're doing the right workouts; pushups, pullups, squats, deadlifts, overhead press, sprints, slow moving. Building more muscle will slightly help burn fat, and it will make you look better regardless.
    4.) Combine all of these and try LeanGains. Berkhan's clients have a high success rate, and get extremely cut.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I guess you have to start experimenting.

Maybe your meals are too fancy. Maybe simpler fare.
    Sprinting might give your metabolism a boost.
    IF, skip a meal or make one meal much smaller if you don't want to do IF.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Measurements haven't budged. I had my RMR tested twice during this time, and both times it came in at about 1960 calories (I'm 5'11" and 216 pounds, so I have a lot left to lose). When I track calories (I do this every day), I eat anywhere from 1700-2100 calories a day, depending on how hungry I am.
    If your RMR is 1960 calories, you need to be eating 1400-1800 range to lose weight. At the moment you are practically eating maintenance, so your weight doesn't change.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    It couldn't be simpler... you are eating too much if weight loss is your goal. If you don't want to reduce calories, throw in a couple 24 hour fasts during the week. Eat normally after the fast. You will start to lose again.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I'd recommend cutting back on calorie dense things like bacon. Bacon and sausage are very heavy on calories and make a good occasional treat. I wouldn't recommend them as dietary staples if your goal is to lose fat. Bacon makes the staple list for a whole lot of the "I've reached a plateau" threads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast